What's new

What guitar and AMP to choose for that kind of warm sound.

HM_Music

Hello
Sorry for the bad English)
I've been looking for an electronic guitar library for a long time, now the Amplesound discount, but I'm confused by the choice and can not buy everything, test and compare too unfortunately can not.
I've been studying demos, comparing, trying to figure out what tone I need and what I can get...
Most likely the best first guitar would be Les Poul? (Ample Guitar LP), if so, at least I could test it. And what would be the best thing to pair it with. What second guitar would you recommend to pair with LP.
But guitars is ok, I'm wondering how to amplify the guitar, for some reason I felt that the sound of built-in AMP is not what I would like, I tried to compare Bias and similar, by the sound most liked Bias, free overloud th-u with my subscription to Slate digital did not like it.
Would this be the best choice for me bias+AGLP for similar desired sounds.
Here are examples of the desired sound character.

I remember when I watched this anime many years ago, I really liked the sound of this guitar and I always had a desire to have a close up of the sound on hand.

upd. 1
So I ended up deciding to take more than I had planned.
1. Ample Guitar LP
2. Ample Guitar TC
3. Ample Guitar VC
4. Ample Metal Hellrazer
5. Ample Metal Eclipse
6. Ample Bass J
7. Ample Guitar SJ

I can still afford to get one or two, just a question of what I need. Maybe a bass? just what kind.
Decided to get more guitars to cover more styles, especially interested in Hiroyuki Sawano style if that helps.
I think it's worth getting another Bass, since I'm not sure if ABJ will work for everything, but Ample Metal Ray5 sounds pretty unique and in demo videos it's often shown with helraiser and eclipse.

One more little question about the acoustics, since there are no face to face comparisons Ample Guitar SJ, I am not sure if this is the right choice, any recommendations.

Of the amplifiers, I've decided on Bias fx 2 + in the future I'll choose something from neural dsp.

Last edited:
Love that anime! One of the best films I have seen in the genre.

For guitar amps and pedals: maybe also checkout the Kuassa stuff. I love their sound.

I was sure it was the Les Paul, good thing I asked, now I guess I'll take a strat. And with it I will test AMP, neural dsp will try and thanks for more specific advice combo Roland JC120 or Vox AC30

Thought about it and it looks like I can buy 3 guitars, the first Strat.
Next I need to choose a bass
+ maybe something for a rhythm guitar or overdriven.

I can not say about the preferences of the other two especially the bass, but what would go well together for about the same kind of music as in the example.

It looks like I found another concert, maybe you can tell by the look what guitars are there

Maybe I'm wrong, but again it seemed from the video that the intro plays the LP

Thanks

Last edited:
Thought about it and it looks like I can buy 3 guitars, the first Strat.
Next I need to choose a bass
+ maybe something for a rhythm guitar or overdriven.

I can not say about the preferences of the other two especially the bass, but what would go well together for about the same kind of music as in the example.

It looks like I found another concert, maybe you can tell by the look what guitars are there

Maybe I'm wrong, but again it seemed from the video that the intro plays the LP

Thanks

Yep, that's a P-90 equipped LP style guitar. Really not sure where everyone has been hearing a Strat sound in the clip.

For bass, your best bet will be a Jazz style bass (J bass). The Japanese LOVE the Jazz bass, it's essentially what their entire bass manufacturing industry has based their product line off of. The player in the live video is using a Sadowsky Modern 24 bass which has 2 humbucking pickups, but is an offshoot of the J bass sound.

For bass, your best bet will be a Jazz style bass (J bass). The Japanese LOVE the Jazz bass, it's essentially what their entire bass manufacturing industry has based their product line off of. The player in the live video is using a Sadowsky Modern 24 bass which has 2 humbucking pickups, but is an offshoot of the J bass sound.
I think the vocalist plays a Rickenbaker 330 FG Black China.
But, if I understand correctly, this guitar is not in the vst, so maybe the closest sound to it is a Strat?
(It seems that the only thing I've seen imported on vst from rickenbaker is the bass guitar from Native Instruments.)

Of the jazz style bass I found https://www.amplesound.net/en/pro-pd.asp?id=10

I think the vocalist plays a Rickenbaker 330 FG Black China.
But, if I understand correctly, this guitar is not in the vst, so maybe the closest sound to it is a Strat?
(It seems that the only thing I've seen imported on vst from rickenbaker is the bass guitar from Native Instruments.)

Of the jazz style bass I found https://www.amplesound.net/en/pro-pd.asp?id=10
Personally, I think the Tele style guitar would be closest to what the Rick does. Using the bridge pickup or both pickups together gives a "jangly" sound, which is what Rickenbacker guitars are known for. You could also use the Tele for your lead guitar instead of the Les Paul. The Tele on the neck pickup can sound pretty similar to the guitar on the recording.
https://www.amplesound.net/en/pro-pd.asp?id=20

Another Rickenbacker virtual instrument is a 12 string guitar from Orangetree Samples.

The amplesound jazz bass should work fine for this style of music.

Personally, I think the Tele style guitar would be closest to what the Rick does. Using the bridge pickup or both pickups together gives a "jangly" sound, which is what Rickenbacker guitars are known for. You could also use the Tele for your lead guitar instead of the Les Paul. The Tele on the neck pickup can sound pretty similar to the guitar on the recording.
https://www.amplesound.net/en/pro-pd.asp?id=20

Another Rickenbacker virtual instrument is a 12 string guitar from Orangetree Samples.

The amplesound jazz bass should work fine for this style of music.
Orange tree has a good sound but after buying songwriter it turned out that for me not very suitable to work with them.

And so. I can afford this set
1. Ample Sound LP.
(https://www.amplesound.net/en/pro-pd.asp?id=1)
2. Ample Sound TC
(https://www.amplesound.net/en/pro-pd.asp?id=20)
3. Ample Sound Bass J
(https://www.amplesound.net/en/pro-pd.asp?id=10)
4. Ample Sound SJ
(https://www.amplesound.net/en/pro-pd.asp?id=31)

Do you approve?

I might try to get the sound out of a telecaster by the way, but I want to have two guitars that one might play a melody and the other might play chords sometimes.
It seems to me that when mixing, using different guitars would be times easier than using the same guitar in multiple duplicates.

Orange tree has a good sound but after buying songwriter it turned out that for me not very suitable to work with them.

And so. I can afford this set
1. Ample Sound LP.
(https://www.amplesound.net/en/pro-pd.asp?id=1)
2. Ample Sound TC
(https://www.amplesound.net/en/pro-pd.asp?id=20)
3. Ample Sound Bass J
(https://www.amplesound.net/en/pro-pd.asp?id=10)
4. Ample Sound SJ
(https://www.amplesound.net/en/pro-pd.asp?id=31)

Do you approve?

I might try to get the sound out of a telecaster by the way, but I want to have two guitars that one might play a melody and the other might play chords sometimes.
It seems to me that when mixing, using different guitars would be times easier than using the same guitar in multiple duplicates.
For my money, I’d definitely get the LP (it’s quite versatile, and one reason I recommended checking against the neck pickup of the LP demo). The TC, less so. Very twangy. I’d purchase the Strat instead, as it has wider applicability, and you can get decent twang from its single coils. On the other hand, if you want to do twang-heavy genres, like country, then by all means, go for the TC. You’ll probably be using it less, however.

Hope this helps.

Yep, that's a P-90 equipped LP style guitar. Really not sure where everyone has been hearing a Strat sound in the clip.
The sophistication of modern dsp, for one. Alex Lifeson of Rush uses a Les Paul, and turns on some dsp to get an acoustic guitar sound on stage rather than switch physical guitars. It’s not always easy to tell from a blind listening.

Last edited:
For my money, I’d definitely get the LP (it’s quite versatile, and one reason I recommended checking against the neck pickup of the LP demo). The TC, less so. Very twangy. I’d purchase the Strat instead, as it has wider applicability, and you can get decent twang from its single coils. On the other hand, if you want to do twang-heavy genres, like country, then by all means, go for the TC. You’ll probably be using it less, however.

Hope this helps.
Yes, I tested the LP twice, I liked the sound, but it's definitely too bad that you can't download all Ample Sound guitars to test them all.
Maybe if you write to them personally and ask...

Another problem of course in testing guitars for me is... I've been playing acoustic guitar for a long time, then I bought an electric and a cheap combo and I have some experience in playing guitars, but when it comes to sound formation I'm often stumped because I have to choose between different amplifiers and cabinets. There are too many of them for a beginner to understand which one is the best to choose, all of them can sound good, it's confusing.
If we don't speak about the sound each company makes, for example Guitar rig makes a plastic sound which sounds horrible if you put it in a mix, especially with orchestral elements.

I'll think about a Stratocaster instead of a telecaster, deal time is until August 19 for AmpleSound products.

Thanks

Yes, I tested the LP twice, I liked the sound, but it's definitely too bad that you can't download all Ample Sound guitars to test them all.
Maybe if you write to them personally and ask...

Another problem of course in testing guitars for me is... I've been playing acoustic guitar for a long time, then I bought an electric and a cheap combo and I have some experience in playing guitars, but when it comes to sound formation I'm often stumped because I have to choose between different amplifiers and cabinets. There are too many of them for a beginner to understand which one is the best to choose, all of them can sound good, it's confusing.
If we don't speak about the sound each company makes, for example Guitar rig makes a plastic sound which sounds horrible if you put it in a mix, especially with orchestral elements.

I'll think about a Stratocaster instead of a telecaster, deal time is until August 19 for AmpleSound products.

Thanks
If you haven’t already, check out HIFIMIDI’s youtube channel. He’s a longtime reviewer and fan of Ample Sound. I think he’s demoed just about every guitar they make, and he often writes musical examples to go along with the demos. I too wish Ample Sound had more evaluation copies available, but Ruben’s videos are the next best thing.

Your wishlist of sampled instruments kind of mimics my real life collection (I have a strat instead of a tele and have an ‘SJ knock off’. Not THE SJ.)

Overall, Ample guitars are good! Second the LP recommendation. It’s versatile. Virtually, it’s a group effort when it comes to strats and tele’s.

shreddage Stratus (seems picked aggressively & palm muting is a disappointment considering their other lines)

Acousticsamples - have the whole bundle.
Tele - ok. Pretty warm sounding for a tele.
Sunbird - my fave jumbo acoustic vsti ( you can hear it all over my tracks).
Never touched the Strat in that collection.

Ilya Efimov
Tele - ok, but on the warm side as well.

Musiclab - has a strat and a Rick… looks like the Rick is updated to the new engine? Can’t really speak to those, but I like their Les Paul. Their ‘humanization’ section of their engine is surprisingly effective.

oh… Native Instruments electric sunburst (les Paul) the deluxe edition that is.

Honestly, I probably end up using one of the Les Pauls in my collection as they seem to more versatile and usable than the Strat/Teles. I do use the shreddage Stratus the most out of them.

Your wishlist of sampled instruments kind of mimics my real life collection (I have a strat instead of a tele and have an ‘SJ knock off’. Not THE SJ.)

Overall, Ample guitars are good! Second the LP recommendation. It’s versatile. Virtually, it’s a group effort when it comes to strats and tele’s.

shreddage Stratus (seems picked aggressively & palm muting is a disappointment considering their other lines)

Acousticsamples - have the whole bundle.
Tele - ok. Pretty warm sounding for a tele.
Sunbird - my fave jumbo acoustic vsti ( you can hear it all over my tracks).
Never touched the Strat in that collection.

Ilya Efimov
Tele - ok, but on the warm side as well.

Musiclab - has a strat and a Rick… looks like the Rick is updated to the new engine? Can’t really speak to those, but I like their Les Paul. Their ‘humanization’ section of their engine is surprisingly effective.

oh… Native Instruments electric sunburst (les Paul) the deluxe edition that is.

Honestly, I probably end up using one of the Les Pauls in my collection as they seem to more versatile and usable than the Strat/Teles. I do use the shreddage Stratus the most out of them.
Just tested MusicLab out of curiosity, since there really is a rickenbecker there. The most uninspiring guitars. Didn't like not the sound not very complex pleyer with a lot of settings, unfriendly.

By the way Ilya Efimov, there sound liked and I remember before I thought for a long time what to choose Ample or Ilya, but in the end after deliberation won Ample.
In orchestral mix it seems Ample sounds better and it is easier to fit it in, also it is more flexible.
Also Efimov sounds more lamplighter, but a bit dirtier and you can hear more noise in the background.

By the way, noise is one of the reasons why I don't like Light And Sound Chamber strings as much as I would like.

The ample guitars are a solid choice! Custom chords creator and custom strumming engine always just ‘clicked’ with me. The riffer feature is a blast to use as well!

Top Bottom