What's new

What fans/aircon units do people recommend?

PeterBaumann

Any recommendations for relatively quiet fans/aircon units that don't break the bank? Experiencing a heatwave in the UK this week and, although it does a fairly decent job, the fan I have is pretty loud.

Wunderhorn

For a fan, I'd recommend a Vornado. Even at the lowest setting it moves a good amount of air and it is surprisingly quiet.

Nmargiotta

Composer TV and Advertisement
Im looking to add AC this summer in my studio, it looks like a split unit would work best. If anyone has/recommends Id love to hear.

juliancisneros

I moved into a new studio space last October and I just had a 1.5 ton Samsung Smart Whisper mini split installed two weeks ago. Unit is silent and studio is now freezing cold, just in time for summer here in LA. It was expensive at $4700 total for unit, professional install, and electrical (I mean, think of the synth(s) I could have bought!), but because I often have directors and producers over, I felt the investment was worth it so everyone is always comfortable when they are here, and our meetings are uninterrupted by loud obtrusive swamp coolers. Again, it was painful to pay that much! But I'm very comfortable now, and so is my gear.

Nmargiotta

Composer TV and Advertisement
I moved into a new studio space last October and I just had a 1.5 ton Samsung Smart Whisper mini split installed two weeks ago. Unit is silent and studio is now freezing cold, just in time for summer here in LA. It was expensive at $4700 total for unit, professional install, and electrical (I mean, think of the synth(s) I could have bought!), but because I often have directors and producers over, I felt the investment was worth it so everyone is always comfortable when they are here, and our meetings are uninterrupted by loud obtrusive swamp coolers. Again, it was painful to pay that much! But I'm very comfortable now, and so is my gear.

Thank you for sharing! Im in the same boat, last summer was pretty brutal in my studio (San Diego) and I want to jump on an install before it really heats up. I was looking into the samsungs as they seem to be some of the quietest on the market. Im glad to hear its working out well for you. Miscellaneous studio expenses are always a tough pill to swallow for me (new desks, chairs, AC units, displays, etc) but totally necessary and are almost more important then the fun gear purchases.

juliancisneros

Thank you for sharing! Im in the same boat, last summer was pretty brutal in my studio (San Diego) and I want to jump on an install before it really heats up. I was looking into the samsungs as they seem to be some of the quietest on the market. Im glad to hear its working out well for you. Miscellaneous studio expenses are always a tough pill to swallow for me (new desks, chairs, AC units, displays, etc) but totally necessary and are almost more important then the fun gear purchases.
Totally with you there man! Even though it will cost a pretty penny, its something that will keep you going for years to come, especially if you invest in a quality unit. I chose the Whisper because it was so quiet, and now that its in here, I don't even notice it... just the cool, comfortable air fanning through the room. Good luck!

jcrosby

'Split' AC systems are AMAZING. Virtually inaudible, let alone being possibly the best AC system I've found... They'll cool any room down in just a few minutes...

A few grand for hardware and installation... Not necessarily cheap, but cheap compared to the typical HVAC systems you'd find in a commercial facility, and most definitely as effective in terms of AC. (Frankly better IMO.. Like I said they generally cool a room as fast if not faster depending on placement...)

Also this is coming on the heels of already trying to get away with a really nice portable unit in my studio... It was useless.... Noisy, and basically gave off just as much heat as it removed, making it truly pointless....

If your dealing with truly unbearable conditions save up the cash and have a split put in... Like the poster above said, mine has a whisper mode, and despite being damn near inaudible it does a crazy good job cooling the room. When clients come over it really does pay for itself...

Last edited:

ThePrioryStudio

Uk Computer
Im looking to add AC this summer in my studio, it looks like a split unit would work best. If anyone has/recommends Id love to hear.

I have a Panasonic HVAC, 2 heads into 1 external unit. A/C, heat and humidifier all in 1 unit. It has a timer so I set it to come on with my machines in the morning, it's super quiet (it has a quiet mode)

Pricey perhaps at about £1k plus fitting but with at least 2 machines on all the time and the recent hot weather, it's been worth every penny

MartinH.

I just freeze a plastic water bottle, wrap a towel around it and lug it around with me. I find if I cool down my body core temperature that way, I'm not nearly as bothered by the heat in the room. Works wonders for me being able to sleep at night too. Your mileage may vary...

OP
PeterBaumann

PeterBaumann

Forgot about this thread! Ended up sticking it out last summer with a rubbish fan but booked in an aircon install in the autumn (earliest they could do - seems to be a growing market in the UK so the few people that do it are incredibly busy!). Ended up going for a split system (Mitsubishi 3.5kW MSZ-AP35VGK) which has been a life-saver, particularly for those random days in Spring where the UK had a sudden heatwave before returning back to its usual single-digit temperatures. It's incredibly efficient, and near enough silent. In winter, it's great for heating up just the studio if needed, rather than the whole property, although my studio gear does a pretty good job of that by itself. Think it came to about £1500 including install on the second floor, and electrical certificates and testing.

Gerhard Westphalen

Scoring Mixer
Also this is coming on the heels of already trying to get away with a really nice portable unit in my studio... It was useless.... Noisy, and basically gave off just as much heat as it removed, making it truly pointless....
+1

I had a hole drilled through the concrete walls in my room (it's in a basement without windows) to put one of these in and it was pretty much useless. I got the most powerful one which could supposedly cool a massive area. Eventually gave up on it and took it out of the room. Tried to use it a few years later and it wouldn't cool at all (same temp on fan vs AC mode) despite the compressor running. My solution has just been to get rid of gear and get more efficient gear. Room got pretty hot if I left the door closed but with my latest round of switching out gear, the room stays the same temperature as the rest of the house.

reddognoyz

MITSUBISHI Mr. Slim style AC's can be super quiet and still deliver great cooling. Also cheaper to run. We have one in our larger vocal booth and we can leave it on when recording vo.

Top Bottom