What's new

What every creative person needs to know

Peterson is a great thinker. It's easy to mock anyone when you're not challenged by a reply. He understands people better than most as he works as a therapist.
What he said there is completelly true. Some of it might be obvious to you, but here he's speaking to students, future psychologists, therapists, psychiatrists or whatever, who are not artists, but who do need to understand people.

I can confirm that eating nothing but beef and then lapsing into a coma in Russia did not do much for my compositional productivity.

He was going through a very rough time, which would crush many people. Doctors gave him benzodiazepines to help him cope. Subscribing benzos is not uncommon, but it's not recommended practice, as they have addictive properties. Which unfortunatelly manifested in him when he tried to stop taking them. He was transported to Russia by his family, not his own idea, where he was put into induced coma, while his organism cleans from benzos. And it did help.
This is no joking issue.

He was going through a very rough time, which would crush many people. Doctors gave him benzodiazepines to help him cope.

WE ALL go through very rough times. He chose drugs to cope not unlike any other addict. Prescription or illegal drugs are no different, in fact prescription drugs can be far WORSE!

WE ALL go through very rough times. He chose drugs to cope not unlike any other addict. Prescription or illegal drugs are no different, in fact prescription drugs can be far WORSE!

You made your best effort to discredit the man. Why? Negate and relativize his suffering, blame doctors mistake on him, make prescription drugs look worse than drugs, just to prepare an emotionaly fabricated premises so that you can draw a conclusion and equate him to an irresponsible addict not worth listening to?
That's an utterly weak argument, a sophism. Is it because you don't like him? He speaks stuff you don't like to hear?

If it wasn't for antidepressants I'd be dead now.
Actually that statement is idiotic. Antidepressants have helped you ADAPT to a deadly situation. The REASON WE're depressed is because WE try to LIVE a LIFE away from LIFE, i.e., Sun/Light, Air, Water & Earth. The greater the degree of separation, the greater the depression...

I'm quite sure Dr Peterson would agree that anyone who seeks global fame with a book purporting to set out the rules for life is also a fair target for mockery.

While i don't think that anybody who writes a book does it because he seeks global fame (usually people write books because they are convinced that what they have to say has some relevance), i think that he would agree that everybody who states controversial opinions will get targeted by mockery. ;)

Nevertheless, it seems a bit pathetic to me that it's obviously completely impossible nowadays to discuss a specific topic if the person who stated it is a controversial one.
What Peterson says in that video is straight on to the point.
Also if one disagrees with everything else he thinks or says, this topic wasn't about Peterson in general but about a specific short video.

If you can fill in the blank for the following sentence:

"Jordan Peterson DESTROYS _____ with FACTS and LOGIC"

You'll know exactly why it's impossible to discuss any topic that Jordan Peterson brings up without it becoming political.

If you can fill in the blank for the following sentence:

"Jordan Peterson DESTROYS _____ with FACTS and LOGIC"

You'll know exactly why it's impossible to discuss any topic that Jordan Peterson brings up without it becoming political.

I don't like Peterson. Regardless, the genetic fallacy is never a reasonable tactic.

I don't like Peterson. Regardless, the genetic fallacy is never a reasonable tactic.
The dude has a brand, it's the whole reason anyone even knows his name. I've just never encountered a Jordan Peterson thread that didn't devolve to political bashing.

Actually that statement is idiotic. Antidepressants have helped you ADAPT to a deadly situation. The REASON WE're depressed is because WE try to LIVE a LIFE away from LIFE, i.e., Sun/Light, Air, Water & Earth. The greater the degree of separation, the greater the depression...

The fact that you're *so* certain you can't be wrong about something you clearly know nothing about would be funny if you weren't part of the problem.

But please, by all means. Keep telling me about me and my life.

Top Bottom