What's new

What 'Electronic Music' are you listening to these days ?

Recently I've been listening mostly to:

Lane 8
Stephan Bodzin
Christian Loeffler
Ben bohmer
Jon Hopkins
James Holden (the inheritors)

I trend towards the chill end of the spectrum, or "IDM" (intelligent dance music, whatever that means!)

I hear you. The same could be said for some more recent works by Mike Oldfield. But, even in those, there are frequent "signatures" and homages to their golden era. Vangelis, on the other hand, always stayed true to himself, even in these modern times. ;)
I still love tubular Bells 1 and 2. Classics, I can remember every note, I've listened to them so many times over the years.

I still love tubular Bells 1 and 2. Classics, I can remember every note, I've listened to them so many times over the years.
To be honest, I prefer "Tubular Bells II" to the original and listen to it much more often! While the latter is brilliantly conceived in a compositional sense, it is quite rough in execution, even for its time.

"Tubular Bells II" is certainly one of the best sequels to a work that I've encountered. It is completely "different" from its predecessor while still staying true to it in most aspects. Of course, one must also count on the vast advances in production. IMO, Jarre has also managed to achieve this to a larger degree with his "Oxygene 7-13".

To be honest, I prefer "Tubular Bells II" to the original and listen to it much more often! While the latter is brilliantly conceived in a compositional sense, it is quite rough in execution, even for its time.
'Tubular Bells 1' (at least part 1, anyway) is one of my favourite albums of all-time, and hearing it repeatedly through my very early years likely informed my musical interest and sensibilities more than anything else. So many changes, themes and sounds. Some beautiful, and some for this little kid were nightmare-inducing.

It is indeed very rough around the edges, but it would be many years before I even detected that. I was just always completely absorbed in it’s many worlds, to notice. Even now, 50 years on, it’s perfect in its imperfection.

For those that have never heard it this is Phaedra :

Listen to the way as the sequencers stop a TAM TAM is replaced by it's clone made on the MOOG3p. All ten oscillators fed through a fixed filter bank, that slowly takes out the bulk of the sound leaving this crackley hiss whilst electric pianos with heaps of delay and phasing, do various atonal stabs. A VCS3 with a single oscillator controlled by vigorous joystick manipulation heavily revered sounds like "a dog in a desert". Tonality returns with a somber pentatonic Mellotron theme, sounding ancient .

This album was made in a few days in the same room tubular bells was , a year later. Released in 1974 it was their biggest seller. A milestone in electronic music it , to me , has a boldness and sonic daring never surpassed.

best

e

The first time I've heard "Phaedra" without even realizing it was in my childhood (mid 80's). Several excerpts, particularly the moody end part from the title track, were prominently featured in a well-known Croatian (former Yugoslavian) TV series for youth, called "Smogovci".

I've started to listen to TD "more seriously" decades later. While I'm not exactly a fan, I do have several of their albums in my collection, including "Phaedra", "Rubycon", "Stratosfear" and "Tangram". Despite many reviews that say otherwise (opposite), I'm actually finding "Phaedra" more "accessible" to listen to, especially when in comparison to its successor. Some of the tracks even have a serene, almost meditative quality to them. What I've learned only recently is that the instruments used by the group during the recording were overheating and went progressively out of tune, which in the end only contributed to a recognizable and unique sound of the work.

For those that have never heard it this is Phaedra :

Listen to the way as the sequencers stop a TAM TAM is replaced by it's clone made on the MOOG3p. All ten oscillators fed through a fixed filter bank, that slowly takes out the bulk of the sound leaving this crackley hiss whilst electric pianos with heaps of delay and phasing, do various atonal stabs. A VCS3 with a single oscillator controlled by vigorous joystick manipulation heavily revered sounds like "a dog in a desert". Tonality returns with a somber pentatonic Mellotron theme, sounding ancient .

This album was made in a few days in the same room tubular bells was , a year later. Released in 1974 it was their biggest seller. A milestone in electronic music it , to me , has a boldness and sonic daring never surpassed.

best

e

Back in the 80's I had a friend who was into TD, and I got to hear random stuff of theirs. it's entirely possible I've heard this, but can't be sure.

Will save it for a meditative moment :2thumbs:

Just today ran across an unique electric cellist Fried Dähn. Link to a Track of the Month playlist: :thumbsup:

Note: My 2cents: Dähn is the kind of artist Frank Zappa would compose music for. Quite the artist....

Last edited:
One of my favorite artist for creative mixing ideas is Tipper. His spatial effects and his "mix clarity" between the different elements is great. His mixing sort of functions as an "instrument", all those effects and spatial movements are an integral part of the arrangement/composition. Also, the mixture of his very "cold" digital sounds with all those rhythmic and spatially moving chirps, crackles and noises create a very unique sonic landscape.
I use some of his music to check my mixes against + some of his tracks are great for testing speaker/monitor systems. His mixes can accurately show any panning/stereo/spatial, transient/punch and frequency domain weakness of any speaker or headphone system.

Recently I've been listening mostly to:

Lane 8
Stephan Bodzin
Christian Loeffler
Ben bohmer
Jon Hopkins
James Holden (the inheritors)

I trend towards the chill end of the spectrum, or "IDM" (intelligent dance music, whatever that means!)
Good list!

One of my favorite artist for creative mixing ideas is Tipper. His spatial effects and his "mix clarity" between the different elements is great. His mixing sort of functions as an "instrument", all those effects and spatial movements are an integral part of the arrangement/composition. Also, the mixture of his very "cold" digital sounds with all those rhythmic and spatially moving chirps, crackles and noises create a very unique sonic landscape.
I use some of his music to check my mixes against + some of his tracks are great for testing speaker/monitor systems. His mixes can accurately show any panning/stereo/spatial, transient/punch and frequency domain weakness of any speaker or headphone system.

I'm a big fan of Tipper's music. His 'Broken Soul Jamboree' is my favorite Album of his work .

Top Bottom