What do you want Santakinetic to bring you in the 12 Days of Christmas Sale?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by TigerTheFrog, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Ben H

Ben H Senior Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Not sure what you mean by that?

Zoot_Rollo likes this.
  2. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    One recording level per loop. Can't imagine how they would do this otherwise to be honest, since these are precomposed loops that are tempo synced so you can move between the loop at different harmonic levels. You can, of course, also drag a midi representation of the loop to your DAW and work with that if you need more control or variation. I think of these as background textures that allow you to evoke a mood and sketch very quickly. In some respects they can serve a function similar to SF EVOs.

sostenuto and Zoot_Rollo like this.
  3. Zoot_Rollo

Zoot_Rollo Throbbing Member

Jul 1, 2016
    makes sense, thanks.

these are VERY attractive tools, even on an educational level.

dragging the midi into a DAW track takes it over the top, for me.

dzilizzi and whiskers like this.
  4. sostenuto

sostenuto Big NKS Fan !

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    YES! :thumbsup:
    With so many Sono(s), I truly need to be cautious about any more EVO(s) since probably already have something very close.
    Tundra and EVO Grid 3 are cool to let me learn EVO strengths and .....

Zoot_Rollo likes this.
  5. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    A bit easier to get variation with EVOs, a bit easier to get consistency across chord changes with Sonos. Sonos are also generally more sketched in and tempo synced. The analogy is imperfect, but I think helpful.

sostenuto and Zoot_Rollo like this.
  6. Sopranos

Sopranos Senior Member

Jul 22, 2010
    How do you write anything around these phrases though? I can't find a way to compose with these.... they're already pretty complete.

7. miket

miket Team Dany

May 17, 2016
    New York
    Yeah. Obviously it can be done, but....

I really want to want something, anything, by Sonokinetic. It sounds great and I like their whole vibe. I just can't see a way in which I'd ever use this kind of VI. Maybe if I were doing more media stuff.

8. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    I would say that's more true of some than others. I find that the phrases in Largo often get in my way: the gestures are too defined and don't easily recede to background. I find that Sotto, on the contrary, gives me space, more a collection of interesting articulations and evolutions like an EVO or a swarm (but one that has more pitch motion to it) than a defined phrase. I mention Largo and Sotto because these are the two Sonokinetic libraries I have. I very much like Sotto, I've struggled with how to make Largo useful (though the latter has a few useful phrases, there are not nearly as many as in Sotto).

dzilizzi and Wally Garten like this.
  9. Zoot_Rollo

Jul 1, 2016
    I can see using them as beds for melodic development.

Idea generators.

I have a current project that requures 150 or so short pieces - these could be huge time savers.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    sostenuto and dzilizzi like this.
  10. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    Somewhere near Los Angeles
    Watching the countdown clock.... and trying to remember I have to refresh when it hits 00:00:00.

11. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    50% off Noir. Already have. It is pretty cool.

smallberries and Zoot_Rollo like this.
  12. fiestared

fiestared Vintage -but- not obsolete

Aug 18, 2013
    France
  13. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    For those of you who have Noir, do you find the phrases in this library overly defined so that they are difficult to work into a composition? I like the way I can work with the phrases in Sotto but have had more difficulty with Largo, because the phrases are more marked in Largo. I'm wondering if the phrase construction in Noir falls more toward Sotto or Largo in that way. (I understand the style of Noir is quite different.) I've listened to the walkthroughs, and so I'm interested more in how folks have found it to work with in terms of the flexibility of the phrases, their ability to fade to background.

14. Paul Owen

Paul Owen Active Member

Dec 9, 2016
    I've got Minimal and Capriccio and find this happens all the time. Plus the samples don't trigger together either which happens with annoying regularity. I love these products but I just can't use 'em. *I refuse to increase the buffer size*

clisma and Sopranos like this.
  15. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    I'm probably not the person to ask, as I am kind of new to this all and because of work travel this past year, I've had more money to buy and less time to play. But every time I run through Noir, I think more of accents and less of steady playing, if that makes sense. And that is the orchestral instruments mostly. I think you can make it work for a background sound. I seem to remember making it do this when I first got it if you set up the player right. It is different from the other libraries. I think it would be great for film work.

jbuhler likes this.
  16. jbuhler

jbuhler Senior Member

Jun 19, 2016
    US
    Thanks! This is helpful, and I'm hoping others will chime in. The solo stuff seems like it would be hard to integrate except as an occasional fill (but there really aren't that many phrases so they seem like the solos might wear out their welcome quickly). The orchestral section stuff does seem less distinct and so more flexible, and I like that they (finally) added dominant seventh chords.

dzilizzi likes this.
  17. MaxOctane

MaxOctane Active Member

Mar 23, 2017
    Similar here. I bought Minimal, Sotto, Capriccio, Expressive last BF+Xmas. The demos are brilliant. And it's fun to load up a random configuration and mash a few chords. But stringing phrases together into a piece? Never been really able to do that.

On the other hand, you can drop just a phrase or two into a longer track and it can instantly add some very nice spice.

18. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    I think there is some trick to letting the phrase continue or moving the fade area. I've got it to work a few times where it sounds good, but that was just playing. Haven't tried to get it to work in the DAW yet.

I have VirtualGuitarist, which is also a phrase-based library. It is similar in that if you just play it, it doesn't sound great. But if you set the latch to continue playing until the next change, change the phrase slightly before you change the chord, and don't play the same phrase over and over, it sounds pretty good. And if I played guitar? It would be easier to just record the playing. :)

Zoot_Rollo likes this.
  19. Zoot_Rollo

Jul 1, 2016
    Excellent thread.

I think i finally have a grip on how i can use these.

Anxious to pick up one or two.

dzilizzi likes this.
  20. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    If nothing else, it will give you ideas and usable midi - as long as you get the newer ones. I don't think Minimal or Tutti have the drag-able midi. Neither do the Ostinato Strings and Brass - but then they are builders and not really phrase libraries.

Edited: Looks like Tutti does have some of the drag and drop midi.

Zoot_Rollo likes this.