What's new

What do you use your Synths mostly for ?

It's good to have opinions and preferences.

One could easily say the vast majority of all art is uninspired shit. One can easily say a lot of things that may not be true, or may not be true for anyone but one's self. I could easily rewrite what you said from my prospective about orchestral music (or many other musical or artistic genres). But I wouldn't assume that my truth was Truth. Hopefully you aren't, as you render judgement from that high horse.

Why are you taking my opinion so personal?

For me it is more from a film score perspective. I think I watched my first carpenter movie when I was 10 or something and I guess these simple minimalistic synth scores left a big impression on me. Legend by Ridley Scott is also definitely something where the music left a mark (the movie maybe not so much). Also my father always tinkered around with workstations and MIDI Sound Modules and I loved to just cycle through dozens of these presets and hear new sounds .They must have sounded very exotic to my young ears.

Only much later I got to really know Tangerine Dream and their many projects, of course Vangelis and all the other projects by Carpenter. I like synthesis so much because a synthesizer can be immensely diverse, a clean slate but also a collection of iconic sounds.
So building something expressive from a single waveform or any other INIT Template still feels like magic today and I really love that. The Synthesizer is very unique in that it can be taken in all these extreme directions that work in many environments.

So yeah for me it is an open book and I am rarely not using any synthesis in my projects. Even strictly orchestral stuff can a lot of times benefit from a little sine here and there!

So building something expressive from a single waveform or any other INIT Template still feels like magic today and I really love that.
Totally recognizable here! It is sheer magic, after getting my first hardware FM synth sometime in 1986 I have been hooked. Today, the old and by now classic synth pioneers still sound fresh. Wendy Carlos, Gary Numan, Japan’s 1981 Tin Drum album with all the weird ringmod going on, Kraftwerk, electronic stuff by Radiohead, to people like Craven Faults today... the sound of synthesized waveforms still has me on the edge of my seat when done originally. I also totally subscribe to adding synthesized sounds to more orchestral works. From sine sub bass to more evolved pads. I also love to record strings and woodwinds using sample libraries and mangling those tracks into oblivion with Steinberg Padshop or Iris. Synths are so.... creative haha ❤

Top Bottom