What do LASS Users choose for BRASS & Woods ?

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by sostenuto, Jul 8, 2018.

1. sostenuto

sostenuto Senior Member

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    After recent, serious commitment to move to upper tier libraries, my preferences for Strings are now LASS Full 2.5 or Spitfire Symphony Strings.

LASS is very attractive with LITE Bundle to get me started at ~$340. ( no divisi tho )
    What then for Brass and Woodwinds ?
    I have seen positive references for Auddict_ WW.

Brass becomes the larger concern, as I have KH_Symphony Orch, and its Woodwinds have received decent support ………….
    Can MS_Trailer Brass cover things for a bit (now @ 50% Promo) ?

Otherwise, it becomes Spitfire and budget crunch …. :sad:

2. dcoscina

dcoscina Senior Member

Nov 16, 2004
    I use EW HB, Berlin Brass, Ark brass, and SF brass

sostenuto likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    sostenuto

sostenuto Senior Member

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    THX. Which indicates LASS is no issue in terms of coexisting with these other top Brass libraries.
    Perhaps my Thread title might have been better, but you answer my unknowns regarding possible 'poor'
    combinations.

4. Leon Portelance

Leon Portelance Composer | Songwriter

Jan 2, 2017
    Corning, California
    With LASS and CSS, I use Berlin Woodwinds, Sample Modeling and EW Hollywood Brass.

omiroad and sostenuto like this.
  5. hawpri

hawpri Senior Member

Berlin Woodwinds (the old version) with the standard mic mix and CineBrass Core/Pro with whatever the closest/dryest mic mix seems to be.

Kony and sostenuto like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    sostenuto

sostenuto Senior Member

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    Thank-you. Sample Modeling is know to me, but not in any detail. I will follow-up.

7. OP
    OP
    sostenuto

sostenuto Senior Member

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    THX for CineBrass advice. These have been reviewed lightly, and now more seriously.

8. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts Flibbertyjibbit

Jan 27, 2013
    NYC
    Adventure Brass is half off at the moment, you might want to give it a look. It's very dry and could go well with LASS. I just bought it during this sale and I love how it sounds, and even more so I love how easy it plays.

9. LHall

LHall Senior Member

May 5, 2005
    Music City
    Absolutely Sample Modeling coupled with VSS 2 and TEC breath controller. Audio Modeling for winds, saxes, etc.

omiroad and sostenuto like this.
  10. Land of Missing Parts

Jan 27, 2013
    NYC
    I've been wondering, is there a way to play in chords with Sample Modeling or is it monophonic only? Being able to input chords with SM would make it a killer option. Love the sound.

11. LHall

LHall Senior Member

May 5, 2005
    Music City
    No, the SM instruments are totally monophonic. To make them polyphonic would rob them of most of the elements that make them sound real. I do my sketches with whatever poly brass samples I have, and then play the lines independently; trumpet 1, trumpet 2, etc. Totally worth the extra time if you're going for a realistic sound.

12. Land of Missing Parts

Jan 27, 2013
    NYC
    I would love if SM gave the option of switching off legato and playing in a sus mode. It would be like Adventure Brass, but with the advantages of mutes, and a voice of a single instrument to avoid stacking, plus you can use as a solo instrument. That would be next level.

13. muk

muk Senior Member

Jan 21, 2009
    VSL Special Edition Woodwinds (and Woodwinds SE+ if you have the money), and Easwest Hollywood Brass Gold when on a sale. Both are relatively low cost but professional quality libraries that will cover a lot of ground.

Silence-is-Golden and sostenuto like this.
  14. brek

brek Senior Member

Oct 30, 2016
    I'm currently using Cinebrass and Adventure Brass for brass; and VSL SE and Cinewinds for winds. I'm looking to add Chris Hein Orchestra Brass and Winds to the equation because I don't have something I love for brass and winds as much as I love LASS.

sostenuto likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    sostenuto

sostenuto Senior Member

Mar 10, 2017
    St George, UT USA
    Fortunately, Ilio ( Los Angeles ) is easy telephone contact for me, and their Support people are quite capable with VSL.
    As a totally new, potential VSL User, you likely understand how challenging it can be to sort through the many options available. I will be talking with them momentarily about your Woodwind advices. The current 2+1 free promo is encouraging.
    THX :thumbsup:

muk likes this.
  16. Pixelpoet1985

Pixelpoet1985 Senior Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Pity, because I was hoping to play them polyphonically. I don't own them, but am very curious. In the "Kontakt Scripting" area here in this forum there is a multi divisi script which works with Berlin Brass etc. Does anyone here tried it with SM? It would be awesome if it works ...

https://vi-control.net/community/threads/multi-divisi-script.59985/

17. muk

muk Senior Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Great. Their SE Woodwinds are amazing and don't cost a fortune.

sostenuto likes this.
  18. rdieters

rdieters Senior Member

Mar 25, 2014
    Samplemodeling, definitely. Don't forget a breath controller, it is essential. I use one made by TEControl.

19. Batrawi

Batrawi Senior Member

Jul 9, 2016
    You already can do all of that without switching off legato with this multiscript
    https://vi-control.net/community/threads/multi-divisi-script.59985/

(..gosh how many times I've been redirecting people on this forum to this multiscript thread already:grin:...it deserves more popularity)

20. Pixelpoet1985

Pixelpoet1985 Senior Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Really? And there are no hanging notes like in some other libraries (Berlin Brass etc.)?