What's new

What Did You Buy on Black Friday That You Never Heard of Before?

I never thought there would be day I would complain about too many choices and too many new products popping up. I need GAS therapy. I ended up with:

1. Auddict PercX Pro
2. Spitfire Harp Swarm
3. Spitfire Mandolin Swarm
4. Spitfire "The Ton" Bundle
5. Arturia V Collection 7

What instrument or plugin did you discover for the first time during Black Friday and purchase?
And if you care to say, what impressed you enough to buy it?

For me there's no question. It's the DDMF Metaplugin. It is the ugliest plugin I have ever seen, but I am pretty sure it is going to change the way I work going forward.

The basic idea is that you can save an instrument with an effects chain in a single file. Load up Metaplugin, load the file and you have everything. There are many plugins that do that kind of thing. But...
  • It will let you load up a VST3 in a host that only handles regular VSTs
  • You can load up 32 bit in 64 bit and 64 bit in 32 bit
  • VST3 to AU wrapper, VST3 TO AAX
  • Instrument Edition features 16 stereo outputs
  • Effects version supports up to 8 channels
  • and a lot of other stuff.

I thought I was buying this to be able to load the Reason Rack in Komplete Kontrol (which works), but I'm going to be using this to organize all my instruments. No longer will I be limited to the Kontakt instruments in Quickload and the other instruments in my memory.

Just create folders with your Metaplugin files. If you want to audition every piano plugin you have, you can do it rapidly with this. It won't matter if it is a Kontakt instrument or regular VST. It will pop up with the settings you like, and if you desire, the reverb or other effects you'd like to load up with it.

The only issue I have with it, is that these plugins will not come up with NKS.

But I love world music. If I want to audition all the Ouds I have, I can do it one after the other. And once I figure out which one works best for my piece, it's easy to reload that particular instrument.

The DDMF sale is supposed to end on Cyber Monday, but it's still on at this moment.

The hideous interface (why does it have that ugly type in the middle?) looks a little intimidating, but it scans your plugins easily and is a breeze to use once you figure it out. Double click on anything and it goes on the page. Connect MIDI IN to your instrument and then connect the instrument to effects or directly to audio out. Clicking on the instrument will bring up its interface.

Then save it. Load the file and your configuration will pop up.

There is a free demo, but you can't save patches with it.
Is there a code for the sale. Is $49 the reg price or sale price. Thanks interested in this

I was all set to pull the trigger on upgrading the Chris Hein Orchestra from woodwinds to complete but upgrades never went on sale :( However picked up Cinesamples Men of the North (cool) and NI Noire (very cool).

Samplelogic Morphestra 2
Samplelogic Cinematic Keys
Samplelogic Xpressions
Sampletank 4
Syntronik
Cubase 10.5 update
Scaler
Izotope Bundle
IK Multimedia Total Studio Max

I've been downloading like a monkey and am running out of disc space...

Hey,
I don't think Icompletely understand the benefit DDMF. To me it sounds a bit like saving an instrument preset in Cubase. You open Kontakt or whatever, put some crazy processing on it and then you save that on an instrument preset. But this is not what you mean right?
Can you save a Kontakt preset that also loads a Pro-R, a Waves Compressor, a T-RackS EQ, and many other effects in a chain by various companies? I don't know how to do that, but maybe you can. But I know you couldn't stick 32-bit or AAX FX in there with your VSTs. If you have a host that won't take VST3s, then this will serve as a wrapper.

I admit I haven't had much luck saving user presets of non-kontakt instruments in Komplete Kontrol, but it is definitely high on my list of things to learn. If I can learn to do that, then maybe this will be less valuable, as I can sort through tagging in KK.

I've posted these thoughts in the past, but I want to share them again here. I'm not trying to start a fight, but just to lend some perspective: I think that the logic behind the title of this post is very, very dangerous. Things will always go on sale, and we can always justify purchasing something because of how good of a deal you're getting. But will you use it? Did you ever want it? A few years back I made a gigantic list of everything that I would really use in my studio, and for years I've only been buying things that are on that list. It's prevented thousands of dollars of impulse purchases, while at the same time guaranteeing I'll use and enjoy the products that I actually get. I highly recommend this method to anyone who is not independently wealthy.

I think Comet was the only one I'd never heard of before the sale. Everything else I got I had heard of but other sale stuff got in the way. Someone did say it was a disappointing BF, but I used the lack of major sales I was expecting (OT) to spend money where I wasn't expecting (JB violin)

How does DDMF compare to Patchwork? I think I can do a lot of that with Patchwork.

I think Comet was the only one I'd never heard of before the sale. Everything else I got I had heard of but other sale stuff got in the way. Someone did say it was a disappointing BF, but I used the lack of major sales I was expecting (OT) to spend money where I wasn't expecting (JB violin)

How does DDMF compare to Patchwork? I think I can do a lot of that with Patchwork.
Can you give me a link to Patchwork? I'm not familiar with it.

Is there a code for the sale. Is $49 the reg price or sale price. Thanks interested in this
No, there was a 40% discount on this price during the sale.

Top Bottom