What Did You Buy on Black Friday That You Never Heard of Before?

OP
TigerTheFrog

TigerTheFrog

Reid Rosefelt
Yes, that's exactly what I mean by dangerous. At the end of my post I mentioned that impulse purchases are fine for people who are independently wealthy, but most musicians are probably closer to the poor end of the scale than the fabulously wealthy part of the scale.

I'll lay out the two extremes as I seem them:

Scenario One: The consumer picks out a finite number of libraries, and only purchases them. The biggest developers will get bigger and most new developers fail.

Scenario Two: The consumer purchases every great deal that they find just because it's a great deal. They go broke.

The middle path between these two, I believe, is making a list. Do your research as new libraries come out during the year, find developers that you like, and keep an eye out for good deals from them.

I guess what I'm realizing from your post is that there are two actions:

Action One: discovering and researching libraries throughout the year, finding what works for you in a cool state, when you can be as rational as possible.

Action Two: finding good deals on software.

The key is to keep these separate. You don't want to be researching new software while it's on sale, because of course you're going to convince yourself that you want it, need it, and are definitely going to use it.

Another thought: for every new library, every new plugin, you have to learn the terminology of the knobs, the layout of GUI, the actual sound of it, the playability of it, etc. It's a giant time-suck, and if our objective is to be getting music out, then we're better off spending 100 hours on 1 library and getting to know it intimately, rather than spending 1 hour on each of 100 libraries.

And yeah, I definitely checked out your list near-daily, and I am genuinely thankful that you made it. Thank you! I actually did make some purchases that I was not planning on making because I found them on your list. But they were parts of collections that I already had, not random departures from my norm. It may seem hypocritical of me, but I do allow myself impulse purchases, especially around Black Friday, but I save up a few hundred just for the occasion. I said this in a previous post, but my list is not dogmatic, it's just a guidepost.
I think we are more alike than you might think. I keep a spreadsheet all year round of the stuff I want, do a lot of research, save my money, and wait for sales. Right now I have money set aside for Cinematic Studio Woodwinds. Like you, I'm filling out my collection.

But I'm sure I do more impulse purchases than you do.

Prockamanisc

I think we are more alike than you might think. I keep a spreadsheet all year round of the stuff I want, do a lot of research, save my money, and wait for sales. Right now I have money set aside for Cinematic Studio Woodwinds. Like you, I'm filling out my collection.

But I'm sure I do more impulse purchases than you do.
Haha, yeah, if I had more expendable income and more time to play with plugins, I'm sure I'd be doing impulse purchases, too.

SonsofRest

A couple of things worth mentioning about MetaPlugin:

It will allow you to put multiple instruments in one instance, so building a multi of something like BBCSO (non-Kontakt library) is no problem. On top of that, you can route each instrument through different effects. For example, you could create a multi with BBCSO cellos and basses, and route each through a different EQ, or you could route the cellos through two different chains of effects run in parallel, or really whatever you feel like doing. Combine it with something like Nyrv Agent, and you can build a nice front panel for controlling the important parameters of your multi.

Also, MetaPlugin comes with a little utility plugin called SendIt - insert it wherever in an effects chain/rack in your DAW, put another instance somewhere else (same channel, different channel, either way), and it will send the audio from one to the other. So, you could take the output of an instrument after it's gone through EQ but before it's gone through anything else, and send that to another channel.

So, it's a fair bit more powerful than Logic's native patch-saving features (not sure about Cubase).

Edit: Kushview Element is also worth a look, and there is a free version available.

Last edited:

Consona

I've heard about but never seriously explored Klanghelm stuff. Bought both DC8C3 and MJUC. It's like learning compression all over again. Very deep plugins with great sound. (And that price, €23 and 24 respectively. Insane. No sales, just ultra-low prices all the time. Love it.)

Never heard about Soundtoys Radiator, bought it, sounds fantastic.

S.M Hassani

CodeUltra Sounds
Klanghelm and Tokyo Dawn Labs make excellent plugins everyone can afford. Even their Free versions surpass many commercial offerings. (without naming names) ;)

Pier

For me there's no question. It's the DDMF Metaplugin. It is the ugliest plugin I have ever seen, but I am pretty sure it is going to change the way I work going forward.

The basic idea is that you can save an instrument with an effects chain in a single file. Load up Metaplugin, load the file and you have everything. There are many plugins that do that kind of thing. But...
  • It will let you load up a VST3 in a host that only handles regular VSTs
  • You can load up 32 bit in 64 bit and 64 bit in 32 bit
  • VST3 to AU wrapper, VST3 TO AAX
  • Instrument Edition features 16 stereo outputs
  • Effects version supports up to 8 channels
  • and a lot of other stuff.

I thought I was buying this to be able to load the Reason Rack in Komplete Kontrol (which works), but I'm going to be using this to organize all my instruments. No longer will I be limited to the Kontakt instruments in Quickload and the other instruments in my memory.

Just create folders with your Metaplugin files. If you want to audition every piano plugin you have, you can do it rapidly with this. It won't matter if it is a Kontakt instrument or regular VST. It will pop up with the settings you like, and if you desire, the reverb or other effects you'd like to load up with it.

The only issue I have with it, is that these plugins will not come up with NKS.

But I love world music. If I want to audition all the Ouds I have, I can do it one after the other. And once I figure out which one works best for my piece, it's easy to reload that particular instrument.

The DDMF sale is supposed to end on Cyber Monday, but it's still on at this moment.

The hideous interface (why does it have that ugly type in the middle?) looks a little intimidating, but it scans your plugins easily and is a breeze to use once you figure it out. Double click on anything and it goes on the page. Connect MIDI IN to your instrument and then connect the instrument to effects or directly to audio out. Clicking on the instrument will bring up its interface.

Then save it. Load the file and your configuration will pop up.

There is a free demo, but you can't save patches with it.
If you are interested in that kind of thing Ableton Live can do most of what you describe and more since it's all integrated in the DAW.

You can create, for example, a channel with 3 instruments receiving the same MIDI notes. Obviously each instrument would have its own audio effects. Then you can combine the audio signal into one and apply effects to it and/or split it into different paths, each path with its own audio effects, etc. Then you can save that as a preset.

Then you can add modulators (LFOs, step modulators, random, etc) somewhere that can modulate any parameter in all that huge signal (from any or multiple effects/instruments). Or you can say configure a MIDI CC to modulate again any parameters of any element in channel.

Christopher Rocky

I did not expect to get HZ strings, and boy i'm glad i did, initially i thought i'd have no need for it and considered it to be a bit of a farce when it came out, but after playing with it, it is different to all the other strings i have.

One of my favorite buys though is fluffyaudios rinascimento, it was on my radar for a while, its a unique and well sampled library. i love it! been waiting for a sale on it for a while, 30% off was enough to convince me even though it is pricey, its totally worth it if your after those instruments.

ptram

A couple flutes (Jubal and Crystal) from Embertone. Something not available anywhere else, and a pure act of love for small, precious things.

Paolo

noah90210

Auddict PercX

Spitfire Kepler and studio woods...so I got aperature too. Aperture is probably the thing I’ll use most.

Bunker Harmonium

There wasn’t a sale but I went HAM over at String Audio and got Signs and both Monolith libraries. Bad GAS. I have a tense cop drama thing coming up so hopefully these go straight to work.

dzilizzi

Auddict PercX

Spitfire Kepler and studio woods...so I got aperature too. Aperture is probably the thing I’ll use most.

Bunker Harmonium

There wasn’t a sale but I went HAM over at String Audio and got Signs and both Monolith libraries. Bad GAS. I have a tense cop drama thing coming up so hopefully these go straight to work.
LOL! I initially read that as you had some upcoming law problems and were stress buying. Then I realized it was actually a good thing. :)

wwwm

Karoryfer Vengeful Cello. Haven't had a chance to really explore it yet, but the walkthrough made it an insta-buy.