What's new

What did you buy from Spitfire's Wishlist?

Man im torn;

2018 Core (Studio Strings, Solo Strings, BDT)

Olafur Bundle

Or

Scandi (Tundra, OACE, OAE)

Or

Tundra + either BDT or OACE

hmmm

I’d recommend the Scandi bundle. I love OACE and OAE is underrated and quite good. I don’t have Tundra but have heard great things here. Solo strings is a hit or a miss for people - I really like it but I also use the Joshua Bell violin by Embertone when I really want a violin line to shine. And of course, SSoS won’t mix as well with Studio Strings, which were recorded dry. Just my two cents.

Man im torn;

2018 Core (Studio Strings, Solo Strings, BDT)

Olafur Bundle

Or

Scandi (Tundra, OACE, OAE)

Or

Tundra + either BDT or OACE

hmmm
That's a very hard decision, because except for the first option, they are all giving you inflections on a sound world (but they are not at all redundant) and so much will depend on your own particular quirks and what you want to emphasize in that sound world. The first option as a whole gives you more an all-around chamber orchestra (without brass, double reeds, or legato for the winds—but very serviceable for a particular sound commonly encountered in TV scoring in particular).

I’d recommend the Scandi bundle. I love OACE and OAE is underrated and quite good. I don’t have Tundra but have heard great things here. Solo strings is a hit or a miss for people - I really like it but I also use the Joshua Bell violin by Embertone when I really want a violin line to shine. And of course, SSoS won’t mix as well with Studio Strings, which were recorded dry. Just my two cents.
Folks I've had discussions with haven't found mixing SSoS with SStS especially difficult if SSoS are being treated as soloists, but the calibrations between the sections and soloists do not seem to be quite as precise as with SSyS and SCS so it requires more midi work to use SSoS as first chairs for SStS.

That's a very hard decision, because except for the first option, they are all giving you inflections on a sound world (but they are not at all redundant) and so much will depend on your own particular quirks and what you want to emphasize in that sound world. The first option as a whole gives you more an all-around chamber orchestra (without brass, double reeds, or legato for the winds—but very serviceable for a particular sound commonly encountered in TV scoring in particular).
My main issue with #1 is I already have other strings. I'm sure SFA is better quality, but seems the other options in my list would be more likely to offer articulations I don't have yet.

I am deciding if I want OAE or OACT.

Should probably check Albion III too

How are the servers running in the western US? Thinking about the bespoke drive route.

Gonna walk around the block a few times, then if the concept still seems less than insane, I'll release the plastic.

Upgrade to Chamber Strings Pro (because it costs almost nothing, now)
Bernard Herrmann Toolkit (because I should have got it long ago)
London Chamber Orchestra (because it's sooo different)
Studio Strings Pro (because it's The Future...maybe)
Studio Brass Pro (because it's The Future...maybe)

When I learned to play the piano, I somehow got by with an out-of-tune upright painted light blue-green. Maybe I'm over compensating.

PS: those of you I see on the fence about Tundra...just do it! Strings are awesome, especially so for softer choral accompaniment, start with EWC Evo #41. Winds and brass aren't a lot of use for mainstream stuff, but they do things otherwise not available. The sound design stuff and Vral are a big meh! for me, but maybe not for you. Tundra seems almost application-specific to Arvo Part type compositions, and in that sense there are very few libs that hold together as cohesively as does Tundra.

How are the servers running in the western US? Thinking about the bespoke drive route.

Gonna walk around the block a few times, then if the concept still seems less than insane, I'll release the plastic.

Upgrade to Chamber Strings Pro (because it costs almost nothing, now)
Bernard Herrmann Toolkit (because I should have got it long ago)
London Chamber Orchestra (because it's sooo different)
Studio Strings Pro (because it's The Future...maybe)
Studio Brass Pro (because it's The Future...maybe)

When I learned to play the piano, I somehow got by with an out-of-tune upright painted light blue-green. Maybe I'm over compensating.

PS: those of you I see on the fence about Tundra...just do it! Strings are awesome, especially so for softer choral accompaniment, start with EWC Evo #41. Winds and brass aren't a lot of use for mainstream stuff, but they do things otherwise not available. The sound design stuff and Vral are a big meh! for me, but maybe not for you. Tundra seems almost application-specific to Arvo Part type compositions, and in that sense there are very few libs that hold together as cohesively as does Tundra.
Definitely want Tundra. Trying to decide between Scandi bundle or Albion II + V :)

Eric Whitaker Vs. Bernard Herrmanian+LCO.

God damn it, this shite is hard. I have multiple choirs, but nothing recorded in Air Lyndhurst.

I still never got an email, not that it matters since I'm not budgeted for any more Spitfire stuff right now... I did confirm the subscription and the wishlist, and did get their brass ad mail today.

I still never got an email, not that it matters since I'm not budgeted for any more Spitfire stuff right now... I did confirm the subscription and the wishlist, and did get their brass ad mail today.
Write them a mail, they mentioned earlier in another thread that they would solve stuff like that if you just contact them.

Too handsome to say no to. Bought.

250px-Ewcolor.jpg

Thanks, but do you really think they want an email from me informing them that I'm not planning to purchase anything? Though part of me is curious about what they'd actually offer I guess...

from my recent chat with Spitfire on Facebook, i MAY reconsider if they come through tomorrow, as they mentioned.

So, my "last" list,

Studio Strings Pro (have Brass Pro)

was considering Solo Strings, but as jbuhler mentioned, blending may be an issue -
have VSL Solo and CH Solo

BHCT

Tundra

I think I will buy OACE, The OA toolkit and North 7, play around with them tomorrow and then decide whether to add SSoS and/or SStS core.

Top Bottom