What's new

What are your *most* important wishes for Logic and work with sample libraries?

Have been using Cubase for a while now. But still ... competition is always a good thing, so I would whish Logic would really make a bold move on using orchestral libraries, like Cubase has (kind of ...) done with expression maps (I am saying kind of, since they did not improve and expand much on that concept). I realize, Apple has made some advances in that direction with scripted instrument folders etc, but this is not in any way a whole lot better (IMO inferior). In short: I would love, if ANY developer would really do something complete and flawless in that area.

Reactions: Vik
- Opening Kontakt takes far to much time (that's in my case 2-3 seconds with all third party libraries installed). Even on channels where Kontakt is already instantiated it takes a similar amount of time when you open the UI. This really slows me down. I'm not sure if this is the case on other DAWs than Logic.
- Native support for switching articulations from within Logic (see expression maps in Cubase)

I find the same. I had guys from the kontakt dev team in my studio a couple of weeks ago and I was pointing at these exact issues.

Another annoying aspect related to kontakt hosted in LPX. If you put a lot of kontakt tracks into a summing stack and undo it reloads all kontakt instances that are part of the current project.

@Chris Hein

I really like your idea of an easier way to navigate between active projects.

Besides my existing UXD concepts I would like to see an extension to the region folder workflow where one could create cue by cue workflows similar to DPs chunk feature. So a fusion between studio ones scratch pad, DPs chunks and LPX region folder workflow.

And while they are at it a global instrument rack/environment for sample libraries and often used instruments would be a nice addition as well.

I'd like to have a possibility to lock tempo events. When the global tempo track is open the risk of accidentally klicking in wrong tempo events is really high.

It would be great if global track edits get their own undo key command.

I often - and I mean really often - do some undo actions and suddenly all (not only the last edited) time signatures are gone. The same happens with repetition signs and double bars: after undoing something in the midi editors all of them disappear in one go.

I think the current AU spec allows for 256 channel plugins, so it's likely that Logic will have that capability in the near future.

Being able to assign a key command in Logic to load an instance of Kontact (or whatever AU Plugin) on selected midi track
Use channel settings. Load a single Kontakt instance in a new channel, edit it to your heart's content, and then save the channel setting. You can then recall it via the channel pop-up menu. You can save blank Kontakt instances, or one with multiple patches and extra channel settings such as EQ or other plugins. Most convenient.

Don't know whether thats osx or logic, but RAM purging after closing a project. Always it seems to leave residual ram usage?
It's OSX, but don't worry about it too much. It may look as if it doesn't free all RAM, but most of it is file buffers, and as soon as you reopen Logic, it will be reclaimed or used to speed up loading. Only processes that stay open can (and should) retain memory.

MULTIPLE LANES in pianoroll
Yes, please. Together with the scaling/shifting tools that were available in EZ Vision in 1989: a pencil that can draw straight or curved lines, and that line increments or decrements the value absolute or relative, and only those of selected notes when holding some modifier key. That was really useful. Now you need to set up a transformer for that. Logic's implementation of the pencil tool is ... limited and has no visual feedback of what it's going to do.

Jay, you know Logic better than most i'd wager - I'm curious what your wishes are?

Some of them have been already mentioned, like ripping off DP's chunks feature, a totally user controlled mixer, discrete solo/muting off tracks sending to the same channel strip, easier MIDI CC copying, probably articulation ID development like Expressions maps (although with the SkiSwticher 2, Peter Schwartz has really made it so that personally I don't care anymore.)

But for me:

1. A Go To Track # command, like Go To Position.

2. Hit plotting like DP's.

3. Total integration of automation and MIDI Draw. I want to be able to play ANY MIDI CC in the new host Region based host automation that is discrete to the region without even thinking about which I am doing. In fact, I would like to see MIDI Draw just go away.

4. An improved EXS24 that has scripting and multi-timbral capabilities and a more modern GUI, so that developers will start to develop for it again.

5. Improvements to the Score Editor, e.g when you lock a line, it stays locked even when you make changes in the number of bars on an earlier line. It has never worked.

6. Improved metering on channel strips, like the Multi Meter plug-in.

But mostly, continued improvement in core distribution and continued bug fixing.

3. Total integration of automation and MIDI Draw. I want to be able to play ANY MIDI CC in the new host Region based host automation that is discrete to the region without even thinking about which I am doing. In fact, I would like to see MIDI Draw just go away.
Yes, total integration is the way to go. Maybe it would work if all would be based on automation, and not MIDI Draw as well.

4. An improved EXS24 that has scripting and multi-timbral capabilities and a more modern GUI, so that developers will start to develop for it again.
But how many 3rd part orchestral libraries (besides what VSL did a decade ago) has ever been proved over to EXS? Frankly, even if there would be a brilliant version of EXS released tomorrow, Kontakt is the main "industry standard", in the sense that it's the platform that most libraries are released for, and Kontakt is available for both Mac and PC. I doubt that the major libraries (Spitfire, 8dio, Berlin Strings, Hollywood, Cinematic CineStrings etc) would be ported over to EXS even if EXS would get lots of the things which are missing today. It feels like it's kind of too late.

Easy multitimbral track creation where each midi track's mute, solo and volume works independently! Really a bug that should have been fixed a long time ago.

Multiple CC lanes in the midi draw pane.

Easier, faster access to selected different CCs in midi draw.

Unlink the mixer from the main window (nightmare with lots of auxes and midi tracks when the mixer always jumps based on what you select in the main window. No, the environment sucks for that.)

Exact reasons why I want to make a final move to Cubase... when it becomes stable that is :)

Yes, total integration is the way to go. Maybe it would work if all would be based on automation, and not MIDI Draw as well.

But how many 3rd part orchestral libraries (besides what VSL did a decade ago) has ever been proved over to EXS? Frankly, even if there would be a brilliant version of EXS released tomorrow, Kontakt is the main "industry standard", in the sense that it's the platform that most libraries are released for, and Kontakt is available for both Mac and PC. I doubt that the major libraries (Spitfire, 8dio, Berlin Strings, Hollywood, Cinematic CineStrings etc) would be ported over to EXS even if EXS would get lots of the things which are missing today. It feels like it's kind of too late.

Look, I no longer work for EW so nobody can accuse me of prejudice, AND I beta test Kontakt.

Kontakt, for all its capabilities, is a colossal pain in the ass. GUIs developed for it are all over the map. Output creation is ridiculously more cumbersome than it should be. If you do not have good eyesight it is hard to see things in it. The library tab only lets you add Kontakt Player libraries. And on and on. Further, unless it has changed since I did an A>B test years ago, the same samples loaded in the EXS24 sound better than when loaded in Kontakt.

Charlie Clouser buys all the high end libraries, resamples his favorite patches into the EXS24 and uses those. Why? Because it sounds great and is so efficient in Logic Pro. Imagine if it could actually be scripted as well.

And I have no idea whether any of the major players would embrace a revamped EXS24 (certainly EW will not)but if not new ones will arrive and some who used to maybe would return.

"If you build it, they will come." -Field Of Dreams

the same samples loaded in the EXS24 sound better than when loaded in Kontakt.
I don't doubt you Jay, but why do suppose that is?
My guess is that it could only be because of the onboard Kontakt fx.
I always bypass those anyway.
I pretty much prefer 3rd party fx, never even think about the EXS24 or any of Logic's fx (except Spacedesigner).
I guess the reason I stick w/ Logic is because of the environment and the screensets/key commands I'm used to.

Which brings me to my wish-
How about an environment upgrade?
Make it be able to process audio, like Max or something.

Has there even been an environment upgrade since Apple bought it from Emagic?
To me that was the thing that made Logic stand apart-
But...

k

I don't doubt you Jay, but why do suppose that is?

Well, it is very reasonable to doubt me on this :)

Kirk Hunter, who developed for both, once babbled something to me about the EXS24 having "non-linear release tails" or something, I don't know.

Here is what I am becoming convinced of, however, until proven wrong...QL: Spaces vs Altiverb, EXS24 vs Kontakt... the more features and control they give you comes at some sonic cost.

I can't prove it, but I believe it to be so.

Top Bottom