What's new

What are your *most* important wishes for Logic and work with sample libraries?

Vik

Vi-k
Hi all! What are your MOST important wishes for Logic and work with Kontakt and other 3rd part sample libraries - either things that are done better in other DAWs or stuff no other DAWs do?

- Opening Kontakt takes far to much time (that's in my case 2-3 seconds with all third party libraries installed). Even on channels where Kontakt is already instantiated it takes a similar amount of time when you open the UI. This really slows me down. I'm not sure if this is the case on other DAWs than Logic.
- Native support for switching articulations from within Logic (see expression maps in Cubase)

- the ability to have multiple songs in one project.
A window with a list of arrange windows like Final Cut Pro7 does with sequences.
I spoke to Gerhard Lengeling about this in 2006, he said it shouldn't be a big problem... ;)

- Display the midi note value in the piano roll editor. (C3 etc.) like Cubase does.

Chris Hein

+1 for Expression Maps like Cubase.

And better handling of multitimbral instruments by distributing the load across the CPU cores.

The ability to import discrete surround files (with extension .L, .R, .C, .Ls, .Rs) without the files are automatically converted to a consolidated surround file.

Easy multitimbral track creation where each midi track's mute, solo and volume works independently! Really a bug that should have been fixed a long time ago.

Multiple CC lanes in the midi draw pane.

Easier, faster access to selected different CCs in midi draw.

Unlink the mixer from the main window (nightmare with lots of auxes and midi tracks when the mixer always jumps based on what you select in the main window. No, the environment sucks for that.)

Easy multitimbral track creation where each midi track's mute, solo and volume works independently! Really a bug that should have been fixed a long time ago.

Not a bug, a feature implementation decision made some time ago that you and I both may not like, but not a bug.

Making Kontakt intelligent enough to find samples on another system. It's always a nightmare when exchanging Logic songs for collaboration. All used Libraries are installed on both systems but song loading stopps at each instance on Kontakt and you have to locate the samples. Every single time! Every single instance!
VSL, Spectrasonics, EXS and other plugins using samples have no problems at all!

Making Kontakt intelligent enough to find samples on another system. It's always a nightmare when exchanging Logic songs for collaboration. All used Libraries are installed on both systems but song loading stopps at each instance on Kontakt and you have to locate the samples. Every single time! Every single instance!
VSL, Spectrasonics, EXS and other plugins using samples have no problems at all!

Yep.

In that dialog box, you can choose for Kontakt to automatically search spotlight for any missing samples. Works like a charm. I share files back and forth with another composer multiple times each day and have never had a problem with this.

But that's a Kontakt thing, not a sequencer thing.

Don't know whether thats osx or logic, but RAM purging after closing a project. Always it seems to leave residual ram usage?

Btw: is this a thread for wishes as a nice consideration or will the result be send to Apple developers?

Last edited:
MULTIPLE LANES in pianoroll, better map structure for instrument like Cubase, a "new custom way" to handle tools in
arrange/pianoroll and expressions Maps.

My own list:
• Something a la Expression Maps based on Apple's own Articulation IDs, but with a better UI. I'ts essential to be able to have an abstraction layer which allows us to use the same commands for all libraries.
• Ability to show at least 8 different CC lanes in all MIDI editors.
• Redo how Logic deals with Kontakt automation. This long list of 512 parameters (where the used ones are at the bottom) makes no sense to me:
Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 11.10.33.png
....and neither does the lack of consolidation of how Logic deals with automation of faders/CCs/MIDIDraw.
• Ability to trigger articulations in the score editor by typing eg Pizz or using (factory and user) graphical symbols for articulations.
• Make Smart Controls generally better, and automatically recognise all CCs, including those above the first 8 numbers.
• Find out repair the problem which causes why I sometimes get MIDI loops when working with CC automation.

The absolutely most important wishes are probably that I miss a way to always have the used Kontakt CCs displayed automatically (or with one click) – in both the MIDI editors and arrange - and that I never want to see almost identical looking parameters listed twice the way it is now:
Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 11.10.50.png
After a little fiddling around, Dynamics appears 4 times, and this is confusing for both newbies and many experienced Logic users.

Oh, and please show proper CC names like Cubase in smart controls, and not this: :)
Screen Shot 2016-03-24 at 11.19.03.png

Top Bottom