What's new

What are your *most* important wishes for Logic and work with sample libraries?

OP
Vik

Vik

Scandi Member
I see that some of you also post Logic wishes that aren't directly related to work with sample libraries, but... why not. Lots of good suggestions here. Btw, there are also many good suggestions here and here.
There's a new poll there now, here, which includes some of the wishes mentioned in this thread.

samphony

Same happens here daily! What screen do you use?
My main screen is a 40" retina screen by crossover. It happened in the LPX 10.0 cycle with my dual Dell screen setup as well.
It seems it's related to a locked state of the screen set.

samphony

Maybe it's just me but I'd like to see the buffer size be project specific rather than a global setting.
If a have a project where I'm directly recording my guitar, in order to minimize latency, I want a small butter size, 32.
If I have another project where I'm mixing a lot of vi's then I want a larger buffer size, 512 or 1024.
Nothing is more frustrating than closing a guitar project with the buffer set at 32 then opening a large vi project and the buffer is still set at 32. Especially if all of your vi's are loaded in VEP and then you have to wait forever while they unload and reload. Maybe I'm not doing it right or maybe I should remember to think ahead and reset my buffer size before hand.
I wished for an ability to not reload all kontakt instances or disconnect and re connect VEP instances when changing buffer size.

samphony

Work with the audio-bin regularly drives me crazy (however, maybe there is an option that i haven't found):

When working with large projects there are often hundreds of audio files and countless audio regions.
Often i want to get rid of unused audio regions, but:
A.) only in selected groups
or
B.) only in one or more audio files

When clicking select unused, all the regions pop up and a journey with no end begins...

That's really terrible.
If i work on a specific part i don't want to think about other audio files that i maybe can use.

And therefore another command that i would like is:
Select unused audio regions (but don't select audio files that contain only one region).
The whole browser system including projects, apple loops and audio bin need a serious overhaul. I mean not being able to transpose or sync any audio file to host tempo is strange as well as creating your own Apple loops.

I mean importing tracks and content from other projects has to happen in the side bar instead of a dedicated window like the stand alone audio bin. Back in logic 8 one was able to have Apple loops as a standalone window too.

I use Apple loops to sketch ideas more than creating loops for EDM. But forcing me to skim through that folder in the finder and re indexing all Apple loops is just time consuming. Same goes with he selection of Apple loops themselves. We still have to drag them one by one what can't we just highlight multiple loops and drag them into the tracks view?

Yes I'm spoiled with how studio one/cubase/reaper handle audio material in and out. I would like to see an improvement in logics browser handling.

I like composing in logic still!

OP
Vik

Vik

Scandi Member
I wished for an ability to not reload all kontakt instances or disconnect and re connect VEP instances when changing buffer size.
I was thinking the same thing a couple of hours ago.
Maybe this could be solved if Logic would have it’s own VEPro app?

Saxer

My main screen is a 40" retina screen by crossover. It happened in the LPX 10.0 cycle with my dual Dell screen setup as well.
It seems it's related to a locked state of the screen set.
I have a 36" ultrawide LG. Maybe it has to do with the size? I worked in another studio for a while with my Mac with me on a 30" Apple screen and it didn't happen a single time there. At home it's the same again.

Saxer

A big wish for film composing would be the possibility to set a new "1" (= beginning) of a bar anywhere in the timeline. No matter how it will affect the bar before (might become a 135/2048 bar) but it would be extremely useful!
Very often in a film there's a point where something should happen (i.e. door slams and music groove starts) and it's really time consuming to match this points by inserting 1/16th bars with extreme tempo changes and stuff to get a movie event to the beginning of a bar.

Another wish for film composing is a count in click that matches the following tempo and time signature. When coming from a 6/8th bar at tempo 127 and recording into a 4/4 at tempo 90 directly after that is really hard to do. So I'd like to have a count in with muted music while counting the time signature and tempo from the upcoming bar.

Last edited:
OP
Vik

Vik

Scandi Member
A big wish for film composing would be the possibility to set a new "1" (= beginning) of a bar anywhere in the timeline.
Sure - this would be very helpful, especially in a DAW which has only one timeline.

ag75

Well, it is very reasonable to doubt me on this :)

Kirk Hunter, who developed for both, once babbled something to me about the EXS24 having "non-linear release tails" or something, I don't know.

Here is what I am becoming convinced of, however, until proven wrong...QL: Spaces vs Altiverb, EXS24 vs Kontakt... the more features and control they give you comes at some sonic cost.

I can't prove it, but I believe it to be so.
Esx24 is so much more stable, especially when playing live.

pkm

Very often in a film there's a point where something should happen (i.e. door slams and music groove starts) and it's really time consuming to match this points by inserting 1/16th bars with extreme tempo changes and stuff to get a movie event to the beginning of a bar.
You can accomplish this by changing the SMPTE start time, no need for weird bars/tempo changes. You just can't have more than 8 negative bars.

I wish you could send your video's audio track way into negative space so you don't have to trim it before changing the start time.

Saxer

You can accomplish this by changing the SMPTE start time, no need for weird bars/tempo changes. You just can't have more than 8 negative bars.
I'm talking about a film cue which might be full of the discribed situations. Imagine a 5 min action cue with 25 tempo changes and odd bars and stops an groove starts all over the place. For all new tempo starts it would be great to say: hey, start the bar here at 10.20.31.12! It's more or less the idea to have 25 audiofiles in your timeline and move them around to match the picture. And now imagine the timeline would follow the tempo and time signature of these audio files. And then imagine these audiofiles were midi :)
I hope I could explain the idea?

vewilya

I'm talking about a film cue which might be full of the discribed situations. Imagine a 5 min action cue with 25 tempo changes and odd bars and stops an groove starts all over the place. For all new tempo starts it would be great to say: hey, start the bar here at 10.20.31.12! It's more or less the idea to have 25 audiofiles in your timeline and move them around to match the picture. And now imagine the timeline would follow the tempo and time signature of these audio files. And then imagine these audiofiles were midi :)
In Pro Tools that's called insert beat I think. CMD-I...very useful indeed...

pkm

Ah, I understand. I've never come across a situation where I needed that. My action cues are usually pretty wall to wall, but I could see how that would be useful under certain circumstances.

samphony

A big wish for film composing would be the possibility to set a new "1" (= beginning) of a bar anywhere in the timeline. No matter how it will affect the bar before (might become a 135/2048 bar) but it would be extremely useful!

Another wish for film composing is a count in click that matches the following tempo and time signature. When coming from a 6/8th bar at tempo 127 and recording into a 4/4 at tempo 90 directly after that is really hard to do. So I'd like to have a count in with muted music while counting the time signature and tempo from the upcoming bar.
Yes a simple pre count option would be useful!

pkm

I also would like an option between pan and balance in the mixer and tracks page. As far as I know, Logic is the only sequencer that uses balance instead of pan, making you reach for the Direction Mixer plugin if you want true pan.

Saxer

I also would like an option between pan and balance in the mixer and tracks page. As far as I know, Logic is the only sequencer that uses balance instead of pan, making you reach for the Direction Mixer plugin if you want true pan.
Yes, would be helpful. Until then Logics Direction Mixer will do.

Top Bottom