What's new

What are your favourite Brass Libraries then?

These are my most used libraries for brass writing:

CineBrass Core and Pro
Sample Modelling Brass
Adventure Brass
Metropolis Ark 1 Brass

Sometimes I also use Da Capo brass. I have Bravura Scoring Brass as well, but SM Brass replaced it.

I love it and use it all the time. Sometimes I just want something a little different so I may go for Hollywood Brass or Cinebrass. I used all three to pitch recently for a series that I landed.

People say it's "softer" and in some patches it does lack some of the scream that other libraries have, but to generalise and say it "can't do that" is not accurate. The a6 patches (formerly the Phalanx) can really rip it out, and the Spitfire trumpets are excellent.

Not as thrilled with the solo trombones, but the rest of the library is really good.

Good luck either way Jono. One needs maybe a smaller palette of brass compared with, say, strings, but having a couple / three choices is good.

Thanks John. Always value your opinion. I'm not sure what I am going to buy regarding Brass but the list is narrowing.

i actually think Spitfire Symphonic Brass sounds very good. I've almost wanted to hit the purchase button but i just keep holding back for CSB's release. I've ended up with CSB coz

1) cheaper...within my budget
2) same room as CSS which is my current major strings library in used. Easier to blend with.

The go to library is Cinematic Studio Brass without a shadow of a doubt. The consistency is stunning, and the unique dynamics. Then one may from time to time blend it up with other libraries...:)

When I can get Cinebrass Complete for roughly the same price as Cinematic Studio Brass (about 70€ more), which one is better value for money? Can CSB also deliver the "Heroic" Sound of CB? I heard that CB is not as good in the lower dynamics as CSB which would make it less flexible... I really don't know how to decide, even after listening through countless comparisons and now both for roughly the same price... This is making it so hard to decide, maybe someone can help me a bit.
Thanks!
- Lukas

Last edited:
When I can get Cinebrass Complete for roughly the same price as Cinematic Studio Brass (about 70€ more), which one is better value for money? Can CSB also deliver the "Heroic" Sound of CB? I heard that CB is not as good in the lower dynamics as CSB which would make it less flexible... I really don't know how to decide, even after listening through countless comparisons and now both for roughly the same price... This is making it so hard to decide, maybe someone can help me a bit.
Thanks!
- Lukas

for me, i think CSB has better legato than CB. it's more clean recorded as well. I personally find CSB more of quality controlled than CB.

When I can get Cinebrass Complete for roughly the same price as Cinematic Studio Brass, which one is better value for money? Can CSB also deliver the "Heroic" Sound of CB? I heard that CB is not as good in the lower dynamics as CSB which would make it less flexible... I really don't know how to decide, even after listening through countless comparisons and now both for roughly the same price... This is making it so hard to decide, maybe someone can help me a bit.
Thanks!
- Lukas

both!
Haha really, can't go wrong - if I had to pick 1 I'd have to probably go CSB.

I've layered them before, mighty and heroic - and CSB has better programming in general. I do wish it had a dynamics slider to bring up the soft brass without doing some hardcore volume modulation. it fades to silence and you lose a lot of that bottom round soft brass to the croasfade to silence

I use CineBrass CORE. It's one of the best Brass libraries out there in my opinion. I am about to get CineBrass PRO soon, and I'm excited about the Monster Low Brass and the brass fx patches the most :)

if there was a decent crossgrade path to hwo diamond i would get it.

alas, the gold libraries I owned pre-subscription mean nothing edit:would cost more to upgrade than purchase HWO

I confirmed this with their sales as a nice way of pointing it out and they basically said "yeah it would be more expensive to upgrade"... needless to say they didn't take a hint.

CBS is recorded in a controlled environment, and either you like it or you don´t. But in my view there is no better brass library out there when it comes to nuances and feel – it is by far the best choice if you like to handle the delicate colours of your arrangement. Then its up to you and your taste of reverb. CBS can be a monster if you want that heroic power:)

MOMA

CBS is recorded in a controlled environment, and either you like it or you don´t. But in my view there is no better brass library out there when it comes to nuances and feel – it is by far the best choice if you like to handle the delicate colours of your arrangement. Then its up to you and your taste of reverb. CBS can be a monster if you want that heroic power:)

MOMA

I hope the woodwinds would be as good as the brass. I have high expectations on Alex. Hahah

I have been writing trailer tracks for my publisher and have been using both CB and CSB in various places.

For exposed brass writing, CSB is all around a better library. There's just better nuances that come across because of better scripting and more consistent, modern sampling methods. CB, in that regard, is really feeling its age.

That said, for the bold, brave heroic sound, CB has literally perfect tone. CSB just isn't "quite" there. Though on this last track I used CSB trombones and only used the main and room mics and that really helped it blend in with CB a lot better. There's just something about the close mics in CSB - they're a bit too "on the nose" and can make the brass sound a bit fakey imo. A bit too much phasing.

The main point here is for a bit I really thought of Cinebrass as an unfortunate mistake on my behalf. But in the right contexts it simply nails the exact cinematic sound that I need. I'll be using it a lot more now.

Speaking of CSB, I'm having trouble with it getting to sound like the brass in this:

I know it's difficult mocking up a real orchestra with midi but the part in the middle is just very hard to replicate with CSB, especially the trumpets I think

Top Bottom