What's new

What are Your Favorite Reasonably Priced Sound Effects Companies and Why?

OP
TigerTheFrog

TigerTheFrog

Reid Rosefelt
Also maybe worthwhile thinking about how people work with sound libraries. Once you collect up & start to build your own sound library it soon becomes impractical to access & search it via a DAWs sound import browser.
Most pro sound designers used Sound Miner or Basehead, which eg prescan folders & hard drives, building databases in the process and use a built in thesaurus, so searching for 'explosion' will also find 'bang' 'bomb' etc... They also allow you to spot directly to the timeline of your DAW, and do processing during transfer.

SoundMiner

Bashead

Sound Library audio should have metadata fields embedded in them, with more description, category tags etc... These library apps let you search those terms as well... While SoundMiner & Basehead may be too expensive for hobbyists etc there are also affordable alternatives that do a great job, Iced Audio AudioFinder would be a great example of this:

AUDIO FINDER
SoundMiner and Basehead are indeed expensive for amateurs I think. And Audio Finder is Mac only.

I think the free ADSR Sample Manager is quite useful for auditioning sounds and a certain amount of searching. It does show metadata. Obviously not on the level of the pro tools, but the price is right.

I like BOOM's Soundweaver, and will talk about it in a future video. It's a bit more expensive than the cheaper version of Basehead, but I like that it has a lot of easy to use features for stacking sounds. Sonokinetic's Ibrido Zero is also a nice tool for experimenting and combining samples after you have them.

X-Bassist

A Sound Effect
Asoundeffect.com is most of what I use. As I find bigger, more expensive libraries (including boom) tend to have a decent amount of “filler” (sounds you would rarely use but boost the volume size and price). I prefer smaller companies/designers who record for a film they are working on, then sell the recordings later. Those people are using the recordings themselves, so they work harder at getting usable material.

Before I start sound design on a film, I go through the on sale page of asoundeffect.com, then search for specific things I need, or grab things that are on deep discount (50-70% off) that I know I can use. So my library is about 400GB of just the stuff I really like and use. It does take listening to all the audio examples (I wish they had a walkthough of all the sounds), but most of the time the quality matches the examples without too much fill, and the price is much closer to earth.😄

There are some duds, but after a little while of listening to examples you learn which developers are really sound designers and which ones are hacks. Then every once in a while you find gold for dirt cheap, like Text Robot for kontakt. Very cool for titles...

Last edited:

wst3

Lunatic - it's really that simple
<snip>
Am I missing anything?
<snip>
If you know that one of the other major developers or resellers does this, please let me know.
While he isn't free,Tim P offers some of the best, and most creative sounds I've found anywhere. I know you like free, but I think people will be missing out if you don't mention HissandaRoar.

OP
TigerTheFrog

TigerTheFrog

Reid Rosefelt
While he isn't free,Tim P offers some of the best, and most creative sounds I've found anywhere. I know you like free, but I think people will be missing out if you don't mention HissandaRoar.
The topic of the video is free sounds. This means free search and freebies.

Tim has announced on his site that he will be offering free sounds if you sign up. So I'll include that.
https://hissandaroar.com/v3/free-sounds/

I'll be doing more videos about sound effects, but not about buying sounds. This is a vast topic and one I know next to nothing about. I didn't even know enough to list the sites properly in my BF post.

OP
TigerTheFrog

TigerTheFrog

Reid Rosefelt
Here's the video I did on places to search for free sound effects. Without question the best place to go is to Freesound.org with the Creative Commons 0 ("No Rights Reserved") filter Applied. You can either add that filter yourself, or get to it directly with this LINK. This gives you access to over 243,000 free sound effects available for commercial use without attribution.

Top Bottom