What's new

What are your favorite cinematic brass and woodwind libraries?

One last suggestsion, if your quick, you could get hold of the Iconica Opus by Steinberg - A whole orchestra, with really lovely WW and Brass sections - as well as the other sections !

Its usually £850 , but £420 until monday- really playable, mixes really well, but you have to buy the whole orchestra, but the price will be about the same as a WW and Brass library, if not less :)

I first reach for Chris Hein's brass and VSL's winds. You'll find most people favor those winds; even with the audible crossfades it's easy and natural to sculpt a performance and the slightest bit of reverb (it's an extremely dry library) makes the crossfades inaudible. They also have body and a level of character you wouldn't expect from a company known for being too clean.

As for the Hein brass, it's the exact perfect balance between a standard sample library and modeling like Sample Modeling. It takes little effort to get a natural sound unlike how some people feel about modeled instruments, but you get flexible options and articulations that rival those modeled instruments, plus three individual instruments for each player, no audible crossfades, and great dynamic range. They are a little cleaner in character than others but I don't mind.

I adore the sound of CSB but have not used it myself. I don't think you can go wrong there

I kind of like Sonokinetic's Orchestral Woodwinds. They have also been on sale for a really good price during the last 2 holiday sales. They are 3 instrument ensembles with a good amount of articulations. Only the four main instruments though. But they have a really good sound.

Otherwise I use VSL SE on my 16 gb RAM laptop and either SSW or BWW on my desktop. I can use SSW or BWW on my laptop but only like a solo instrument with minimal articulations.

Well depends on what are you used to, it is not made for current unrealistic FFFF trailer music, for a classical movie music style these are very good.

I don't really make trailer music. I still finds Cinebrass to lack punch when needed. For example, CSB trombones and trumpets cut through better behind the orchestral stabs. I find Cinebrass sounds so much better at lower dynamics.

if you're limited on resources i'd probably say CSB + CSS + BWW + Cineperc

those all provide single mixed mics, are reasonably playable - and sonically match with very little(or no fuss)

About Spitfire Symphonic Winds,
How are the legatos?
I find the SSW legatos a little hit and miss, but mostly hit. Especially the bassoon in the upper registers, and the alto flute.

IMO in some cases the legato actually took a slight step backward when Spitfire repackaged the BML winds as Symphonic Woodwinds. Here's an short mockup of the intro to Appalachian Spring showing the BML winds legato. I think most of the legatos sound pretty good, except for the flute in some parts, which I tried hard to manage and didn't always succeed.

I'm not able to make the clarinet sound quite like that with SSW anymore. The legato transitions seem a bit more truncated than with the original BML clarinet, and I don't have the ability to tweak them AFAICT. The bassoon is still excellent, though. :)

I'm just a hobbyist composer but I use CSB in conjunction with BWW. Both sound great IMO and also go well together.

Honestly, I LOVE the usability and the way it is programmed - shorts are programmed the way that there are velocity maps for shortest/short/medium note length which is insanely good for writing into sequencer, I like this approach much more than chaotic key switches.
I ended up picking up the Pro version, and couldn't be happier! The Monster Low and 12 Horn patches are an instant go-to!

Top Bottom