What's new

What are you sitting on that's not an Aeron/standard-style office chair?

Headlands

I've had an Aeron for a while and it's just not a great chair for my back, I've realized. No arguments -- it's just not good for me personally, and that's that. :) I tried the Carl Tatz e-chair and didn't like it, so now I'm looking at chairs like the HAG Capisco which is aimed at keeping you moving a bit and not leaning back (it's a moving saddle-like chair). I have a standing desk situation with my studio, and try to split time evenly between the two.

If you're using a chair that's not a standard office chair style (i.e. it's not an Aeron and countless others of the same kind), what are you using and how do you like it long-term?

Last edited:

dzilizzi

I have a standing desk and a tall shop stool with a back. It actually raises and lowers so I can sit comfortably at standing height if I need to. The back hits at lower back height. Just enough support when I need it but mostly it makes me use my muscles by sitting up properly without having a back to lean into.

pondinthestream

I don't think any chair can compensate for sitting too long too often. I use a Sayl and it is fine, but a few minutes every so often doing something like qigong just has to become part of the routine. I recommend Jeff Chand qigong videos on YouTube.

chillbot

Sock Muppet
This is a great question to see asked because same as you, the Aeron is terrible for me. This is kind of a tangent-rant, sorry, but the Aeron culture is some sort of a cult, people obsess over them... I think half of the Aeronators will never consider spending more than the price of an Aeron on a chair so they think it's the greatest thing they've ever tried and the other half are clueless but just associate them with "pro" studios, like it somehow elevates their status to have one.

OK for a mid-level chair the Aeron is a decent chair. We have two in the studio. Clients love to see them, it's what they are used to. (That status again.) But as you said, it's just not for me.

My solution ended up being a $2,000 chair from Relax the Back, custom fit to my specs. It's a lot but my back issues were severe. And I've had it now 15+ years. Even then I've rotated through an assortment of padded pillows over the years for my lower back to supplement it. It's basically this one but with the head support and the arm rests removed in lieu of ergorests that attach to the desk:

I don't see all the customizing options on the site that I had when I bought it 15+ years ago. I went in-person to the store and they did a bunch of measurements and whatnot.

If you're looking to spend money on a long-term chair that will last it might be a good solution. If not, hope you find something that works!

colony nofi

I love VI Control. $25-$2000 solutions ;)

I'm watching this closely. I've been through a fair few chairs, and I'm still not sorted.

But nothing terribly unique I'm afraid.

I'd love to try one of these... but its at the expensive end of the equation...

pondinthestream

I love VI Control. $25-$2000 solutions ;)

I'm watching this closely. I've been through a fair few chairs, and I'm still not sorted.

But nothing terribly unique I'm afraid.

I'd love to try one of these... but its at the expensive end of the equation...
Sitting is sitting. No chair changes that. Standing is little better. Healthwise you have to move more often than most sit down work demands.
Lower back pain? Generally, from something giving rise to back spasms, this has often been seen as permanent damage that one can compensate for but never really cure. Recent research shows this is often not the case and something like dantian breathing or modern variants, can give.dramatic improvement. A few.minutes here and there can be enough.
No chair or posture provides that. You have to move.

MorphineNoir

Formerly ChromeCrescendo
Herman Miller Cosm high back in white/mineral
(it replaced my $79 Amazon chair)

Best chair I've ever had

OP
H

Headlands

Great responses so far, thanks. I actually have a standing desk for my studio, which is great. It's just that when I'm sitting, the Aeron simply isn't so good. There are many options now, and a lot of them are $$$. I'll check out some of the ones mentioned here. I've heard many great things about the HAG Capisco.

Last edited:

Nova

I bought a used Aeron about 3 months ago and hated it. I think it contributed to a pinched nerve in my neck from leaning back too much and the hard upper area digging in. I found a Tempur-pedic chair at Staples and love it. It's fabric instead of the bonded leather crap you find in most office chairs and I find it quite comfortable.

pondinthestream

I agree with you 50%. Sitting is sitting, yes. It's much better to get up and move around, 100%. But if you have to sit, the right chair does change that, 100%. Split the difference. I've spent too long studying ergonomics because of fucking myself with bad chairs.
For sure, I have a Sayl chair which is a big improvement on what i had before. But ...... the chair is not enough

Last edited:

ReleaseCandidate

Do the 90's kneeling chairs still exist?
5bdbe26ea032022ce7825ac0-large.jpg

Patrick Aylett

I had a kneeling chair but found it very bad for my knees after a while. After searching ebay I ended up with a refurbished Herman Miller Mirra 2 for around £300. This was three years ago, now no back problems or knee problems. Very happy with it.

Virtuoso

Socially Distant Member
I got an Aeron for Christmas but I'm returning it. My desk is on the high side as it has to accommodate an 88 note keyboard on a sliding shelf. This means using the Aeron at its highest position, which then means the hard bar at the front of the seat cuts off the circulation to your mid-thighs!

I've gone back to my previous chair - a Knoll Generation, which I've been pretty happy with for about 8 years. You can order these with extra seat padding and they're great for people who twist and turn endlessly.

7467_z,0.jpg

IFM

I've got one of the Stealth Chairs (Pro) but with the Executive back (bought the extra back after I already had the chair). So far it's pretty nice.

brek

I have the Steelcase Gesture. It's fine, I wouldn't necessarily say better or worse than the Aeron. The armrests were the big selling point for me.

I also have a sit-stand desk and two cheap chairs from Amazon.

So the thing is, those cheap chairs used to be the worst thing ever to sit on (definitely not meant for 18 hour work days even when mixing in some standing), but now aren't so bad when part of a rotation with a nicer chair. That awkward stiffness can be a refreshing change.

Top Bottom