What's new

What are the best / most interesting combos of instruments?

OP
B

bigcat1969

Wow thanks for all the ideas. I should mention that i'm an alleged and occasional freebie dev and I was thinking of things I haven't tried yet and combos seemed interesting.

JMJ33101

Cellos and French Horns are a classic orchestral combo. Tuba and Basses are a good combo when put behind a Timpani hit, making the Timpani seem like the note is prolonged.

keepitsimple

EWQL Gypsy's guitar/violin combo. Add piano of your choice to taste. Used to jam for hours on this back when i had Composer cloud.

NoamL

Winter <3
With all the auxiliary winds, they are too often asked to play only in the range by which they extend the main instrument family. That's something I try to break out of as much as possible...

here is a good side by side example of how the alto flute has a totally unique and useful color in its upper range:

compared to the flute:

even though this melody is right in the middle of the flute's range, the same notes on alto flute are far from redundant.

Another example is low piccolo

And for low oboe melodies of course an assignment to EH is possible but it is not an automatic thing, and the low oboe is capable of more than Peter-and-the-Wolf sounds:

Another thing that seems to be way rarer than it ought to be is trumpets used as harmonic support. Like in this magical moment from The Planets:

Last edited:

TimCox

Another thing that seems to be way rarer than it ought to be is trumpets used as harmonic support. Like in this magical moment from The Planets
Everything in Neptune is a lesson in orchestration!

My favorite combination is piccolo, flute, oboe, clarinet, bass clarinet, English horn, trumpet, French horns, trombones, violins, violas, cellos, basses, harp, percussion, and accordion.
Pet Sounds is leaking into this thread

Top Bottom