What's new

Westgate Solo Oboe and English Horn

darcvision

Hi, is it still worth to buy Westgate woodwind? i got a coupon from big fish audio which is great deal imo. i have auddict woodwind and 8dioboe but i'm not really satisfied with the sounds. I also watch the review from Cory many times, and i think its very simple and sounds pretty good for creating mockup, but i'm not sure since those library are very old.

Thanks

Soundwise that Cory video is very convincing. There’s a recent bassoon comparison thread with audio examples of a lot of libraries. I think @Ned Bouhalassa posted some Westgate wavs there that sounded damn good to my ears.

Soundwise that Cory video is very convincing. There’s a recent bassoon comparison thread with audio examples of a lot of libraries. I think @Ned Bouhalassa posted some Westgate wavs there that sounded damn good to my ears.
Yeah, i think westgate bassoon is pretty good. I also contribute with my Auddict Bassoon. Actually i'm planning to buy Oboe and English horn only because my budget is not enough.

They sound nice but are cumbersome to use. It seems like a bargain buying one or 2 here or there at first, but when you look at the combined price, there are much better options.

They sound nice but are cumbersome to use. It seems like a bargain buying one or 2 here or there at first, but when you look at the combined price, there are much better options.
This. If you really like the tone, I'd pick 'em up for sure, they're very nicely recorded. But if I recall, you can't control dynamics via the modwheel without some finicky work (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

yeah, actually i got coupon 50% which is good bargain. so total are 50 bucks for oboe and english horn, and i'm not planning to buy all of them because i like auddict woodwind. i'm also comparing with another library such as berlin, and xsample but i dont really like sine and xsamples is pretty good imo but more pricey and weird UI.

yeah, actually i got coupon 50% which is good bargain. so total are 50 bucks for oboe and english horn. i'm also comparing with another library such as berlin, and xsample but i dont really like sine and xsamples i dont really like the UI.
For that price I'd say it's a no-brainer, at least if you like how they sound. They're definitely part of the older collection of libraries that have aged very well.

This. If you really like the tone, I'd pick 'em up for sure, they're very nicely recorded. But if I recall, you can't control dynamics via the modwheel without some finicky work (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
You are correct! I ended up using Big Bob's kontakt script to be able to do that. For the price they're selling them at, they should definitely correct a few of those things. I mean you can get Auddict and Chris Hein Winds bundle for about $100 each on sale. So it makes no sense buying 2 or 3 instruments with no modwheel dynamics, that you basically load a single dynamic layer at a time (unless you want legato and you'd have to use the script) for the same price.

yeah, actually i got coupon 50% which is good bargain. so total are 50 bucks for oboe and english horn, and i'm not planning to buy all of them because i like auddict woodwind. i'm also comparing with another library such as berlin, and xsample but i dont really like sine and xsamples is pretty good imo but more pricey and weird UI.
Sounds like a bargain until you realize you can't do dynamic crossfades with legato unless running external scripts. And even then it's buggy and you'll hear the layer transitions quite a bit. You can use legato on a single dynamic layer and just use volume, but the timbre won't change so you're still getting the ff tone when you fade down to pp levels

But the tone is really nice. personally, I wished I'd have saved the couple hundred I spent on the bunch and applied it to BWW, which sounds better and does everything pretty well. Haven't touched most of my other wind libraries after getting BWW

Not sure what's the Big Bob script, but that's the thread I know of where you can find improved/re-scripts for westgate instruments:

Sounds like a bargain until you realize you can't do dynamic crossfades with legato unless running external scripts. And even then it's buggy and you'll hear the layer transitions quite a bit. You can use legato on a single dynamic layer and just use volume, but the timbre won't change so you're still getting the ff tone when you fade down to pp levels
Yeah, luckily someone create a custom patch for westgate library and it makes the library better

You're wrong. ;) All the instruments have a Sus_V X-fade patch that goes from p to mf and more (rough guess using my ears).

Top Bottom