What's new

Weird problem: legato notes cutting short on different instruments/builds

oboemaroni

For ages I've had an issue which I thought was restricted to Cinematic Studio Solo Strings, whereby certain notes in a legato passage would cut short, although the disconnected release sample stills play when the key is lifted. This has happened on two different systems and with complete reinstallation of Windows and all software. I thought it was just a bug in the library or Kontakt, however I've just noticed a similar thing happening with VSL Woodwinds so now I'm really confused, if I play a legato phrase anything after the first note cuts off after like second... I've 64gig of RAM and samples are on an SSD so it's not a performance issue. Anyone have any ideas? It's really annoying!

Does this happen with playback only or can you reproduce the cut notes playing the same phrase live? Just thinking out loud, do you have a midi controller sending multiple midi channels to the same track? I had a controller set to "global" and it would actually send 16 channels at once to a single Cubase track, so the notes stacked on top of each other in the piano roll (I couldn't tell visually) and legato transitions wouldn't trigger properly because, instead of one midi note, there were 16 notes playing at the same time. It's probably not your case but something to be aware of that took me a while to figure out.

If your DAW has a list editor, check if there's any junk MIDI data being sent when the legato issue happens... might give you some clues.

Something similar was happening to me; occasionally, some long-held notes on some (but not all) instruments were cutting short, as if they were staccato. (My DAW is Cakewalk by Bandlab.) After doing a lot of digging, I found that changing the value of the parameter "BounceBufSizeMsec" from 0 to a small non-zero value fixed the problem.

I would suggest you open up a MIDI monitor window to see if any rouge data is being sent, possibly from a faulty hardware unit, sustain pedal or expression pedal etc. If the problem is intermittent then you may need to leave the window open for a bit before you spot anything unusual. It may not be that of course, but this kind of thing is all about ruling things out before you can nail it down.

DAWs usually have their own MIDI monitor solutions, or a third party app would do the trick.

Thanks all for the advice - I'm on Ableton which is not the best for MIDI so I'll have to look into what ability there is to monitor, it does happen both live playing and on playback. The bouncebuf parameter thing sounds promising, hopefully it's something that easy to fix.

Not much of a phenomenon really - RAM (memory) was full.

Not necessarily related:
I also noticed, when I quit some Reaper projects with Kontakt instances in them, a project doesn't automatically unload from the memory. If I don't unload such project myself (through Task Manager), upon opening it again it would take twice the RAM.

Top Bottom