What's new

We knew the Bernard Hermann had an EIS sound, but check this out!

Farkle

Hi, all!

I just started book 11 with Craig (who-hoo!). And the first lesson is about moving sections of instruments in a bracketed Equal Interval structure.

Well, I just checked out that new Bernard Hermann youtube link. Check out this cue from his Outer Space Suite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Debc6jIlc

Those opening flute passages look almost identical to the patterns Spud was teaching on the first lesson of Book 11.

I'm very excited about this, because I'm seeing a real world example of how Spud's advanced theory is implemented, and it sounds stupendous! Plus, I'm now seeing how I can do "mysterious" and non-tonal movements ("whole tone", etc), in EIS, and not have to sweat this "which scale am I in" thing.

I'm not saying Bernard Hermann did EIS. What I'm saying is, Book 11 allows me to see what he's doing, parse it out, and replicate it, super easily! :)

I'm going to post a quick cue like this later this weekend. EIS rocks! :)

Mike

I'm diggin it.Has me wondering about EIS(again).

Ever check out Olivier Messiaen-he used modes of limited transposition,this music has a flavour of that.Some of those modes might be explained by EIS...?

I'm diggin it.Has me wondering about EIS(again).

Ever check out Olivier Messiaen-he used modes of limited transposition,this music has a flavour of that.Some of those modes might be explained by EIS...?

Cool, glad you like what you have heard! :)

Yes, I've checked out Messiaen, and definitely, this advanced EIS stuff is in that world of "modes of limited transposition". However, what I like about EIS is, the concepts are communicated more succinctly, more "compositionally", and you can use them immediately.

It's like the "Bruce Lee" of composing. Distilling the important composing concepts down to their essence, and then letting you run with them fast and easy.

Good stuff! :)

Mike

Top Bottom