1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Way to encrypt drive to ask for pw everytime clicking on it?

Discussion in 'GEAR Talk Forum' started by merlinhimself, Feb 12, 2018.

1. merlinhimself

merlinhimself Senior Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Just wondering if theres a way to encrypt a drive to do this. Right now we have it setup to ask for the pw whenever we startup and mount the drive, but for extra security wondering if theres a way that every time you try to access files on the drive it prompts for a password.

2. Fab

Fab Senior Member

Feb 18, 2016
    Are you able to change the settings so the drive auto sleeps when not in use?

It's the only practical way I can think of, though probably better to also ask / see a forum more specific to computers also.

3. Gerhard Westphalen

Gerhard Westphalen Scoring Mixer

I don't have any experience with encrypting drives but that seems like a bad idea. What if you open a file and then save? Would it ask to put the password in again? What about when a program tries to access files on that drive or create new files (like a DAW project creating the waveform image files)? It would probably get blocked and crash. IMO the best option would be to just have the computer sleep after a while and then need to password to wake. Also different users with different privileges. If you're worried about someone accessing the computer and then accessing the drive, you have bigger issues to worry about since they shouldn't be able to access anything in the first place. If you really do want to do this then it would probably be best to encrypt individual files or individual folders with something where you have to manually encrypt and decrypt it.

merlinhimself likes this.
  4. AllanH

AllanH Senior Member

Oct 11, 2015
    Central Coast California
    I suggest bitlocker. You can always lock the drive and unlock when needed.

5. OP
    OP
    merlinhimself

Aug 19, 2015
    Yeah from he way you put it, it seems like it could cause more trouble. We have the computers set to sleep and pw protected. The composer I work for was seeing how protected we could be because his name is embedded in all the picture, which I totally understand. I really don't see not having it set that way being much of a problem, just wanted to see if there were any other steps for peace of mind lol.

6. Gerhard Westphalen

I don't remember the name of it but there's a program made specifically for that and to make sure that picture doesn't get leaked. I think it only lets you access picture through the program or something. I'm not sure if it's something that you can put on any video file or if it has to already come encrypted from the studio but it's what a lot of the big-name composers use.

7. OP
    OP
    merlinhimself

Aug 19, 2015
    Oh nice! Yeah something like that would be perfect. Ill do some research to see what I can find. Thanks!

8. Gerhard Westphalen

I spoke to someone about it and it turned out that they aren't actually doing any sort of protection like that (unless picture leaves the studio). It seems a bit risky if any clients ever have access to any computers on the premise. The program that I was thinking of is just for securely receiving the files from the studio.