Waves Tune (full version) on sale - $29

Discussion in 'Mixing, Post-Production, and Effects' started by robgb, Nov 1, 2018.

1. robgb

robgb I Have Strong Opinions

Apr 6, 2016
    Jeremy Gillam likes this.
  2. puremusic

puremusic Senior Member

Nov 27, 2017
    What do you prefer about it?

3. OP
    OP
    robgb

Apr 6, 2016
    I have Melodyne 3, not 4, so things may have changed in Melodyne. But I like that I can draw freehand envelopes, which allows me to get different curves between notes that sound more natural. In fact, the vocal tuning overall sounds more natural using Waves Tune.

4. pderbidge

pderbidge Senior Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Utah
    One of Waves Tune strong points have always been it's ability to keep things as natural sounding as you need it to without introducing that autotune effect unless you push it to do so. I wish they would update the interface (a bit constrained and not resizable) and make it work without needing Rewire but for what they sell it for now days it's really a steal. There are some quirks but easy work around and has paid for itself over and over again for the use I've gotten from it.

FinGael likes this.
  5. David Cuny

David Cuny Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Agreed - lots of bang for the buck. Unlike Melodyne, don't expect to shift the position of the audio in time, only the pitch. You should be able to do that in your DAW anyway.

But - unlike Melodyne Essential - you can do a lot of detailed correction, such as removing/replacing vibrato and transitioning between pitches.

A resizable UI is the main thing it lacks, but I don't think Waves is going to do that. Pity.

6. OP
    OP
    robgb

Apr 6, 2016
    It works without Rewire. You simply have to use your DAW transport instead of Wave Tune's. But I don't find Rewire to be inhibiting in anyway. I've just included it in my template.

7. pderbidge

pderbidge Senior Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Utah
    True but I find it helpful to have its transport to sync with my DAW. I owned it before Reaper was officially supported and the transport didn't sync all so I do remember it not being that big of a deal but I'm glad Waves finally added Reaper support and I'll admit, rewire is really just as simple as loading and forgetting especially if it's saved in your template like you've done so it is a bit of a silly complaint on my end.

8. dzilizzi

dzilizzi I know nothing

Feb 27, 2017
    Somewhere near Los Angeles
    I have both and find Waves Tune is much quicker and easier if you are just fixing out of tune vocals. I haven't used it for other instruments since I mostly use VIs. I've also done small amounts of harmony making with it, but you don't want to change the pitch too much or it sounds weird.

Melodyne requires a lot more work but also does a lot more. Plus it will do polyphonic sounds (okay) that I don't think Waves does.

For $29, I would grab it if you don't have it. Get it from everyplugin.com as they give discounts. They usually take any Waves discount couponso too.

9. Land of Missing Parts

Land of Missing Parts Flibbertyjibbit

Jan 27, 2013
    NYC
    Logic users: Is there any advantage to using Waves Tune over Logic's built in flex pitch and flex time functions?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 11:54 AM
  10. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

May 12, 2018
    I picked it up for $22. There is a "Soundgrid" test on Waves website. It gives you a free coupon worth up to $50.
    Everyplugin.com - when I applied the coupon it wouldn't take me down further than Waves.com did. I think there's a lower limit that Waves imposes.
    $22 for this is a good deal.

dzilizzi likes this.
  11. thesteelydane

thesteelydane Senior Member

Apr 9, 2015
    How does it sound on violin and other string instruments? Melodyne really struggles with high string transients, to the point of being unusable.

12. Tim_Wells

Tim_Wells Tim Wells

Oct 22, 2018
    Curious if any others feel that Waves Tune sounds more "natural" on vocals than Melodyne??

I don't care so much about the workflow, since I'm already use to deep editing in Melodyne 4. I admit that I do occasionally get artifacts in Melodyne. That may be partly the singer's fault ;)

13. Bansaw

Bansaw Senior Member

May 12, 2018
    I heard somewhere that Tune works better on rock vocals (those voices that are more rougher sounding or gravelly) than melodyne.

Tim_Wells likes this.
  14. Ben

Ben Senior Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Would also know how good it tunes monophonic instruments. I use Cubase VariAudio at the moment and the result is good, but you have to tweak everything really carefully.