Waves Silver bundle

Aleela

What are your opinions about Waves Silver bundle? Is it enough for film scoring? Or are there other essential plugins to be taken separately from Waves?

What are the essential plugins?

FabMrT

I think that some of those plugins are outdated, however there are plugins on that bundle that I still use (C1,L1, DeEsser, S1 and MaxxBass). It's hard to say if it's enough or not enough for film scoring. That depends what you have and what you need to make things work for you.

I guess only essential plugin (imho) that everyone agree's that is important for film scoring is reverb. Some people prefer convolution based some prefer algo -based. But apart from that I would say (if we are talking about mixing plugins) would be some sort of compressor, limiter and eq. But again, it is really depending on how you like to work and what you have already.

Most of my mixing is done by Fabfilter (Q3, Compressor, Limiter and multiband comp), waves, soundtoys and Valhalla reverbs. I have other plugins, but those are the ones that I use constantly.

OP
Aleela

Aleela

I think that some of those plugins are outdated, however there are plugins on that bundle that I still use (C1,L1, DeEsser, S1 and MaxxBass). It's hard to say if it's enough or not enough for film scoring. That depends what you have and what you need to make things work for you.

I guess only essential plugin (imho) that everyone agree's that is important for film scoring is reverb. Some people prefer convolution based some prefer algo -based. But apart from that I would say (if we are talking about mixing plugins) would be some sort of compressor, limiter and eq. But again, it is really depending on how you like to work and what you have already.

Most of my mixing is done by Fabfilter (Q3, Compressor, Limiter and multiband comp), waves, soundtoys and Valhalla reverbs. I have other plugins, but those are the ones that I use constantly.
I'm a beginner, I don't have any mixing plugins yet. Any advice other than Waves?

FabMrT

My advice would be that you don't buy plugins until you have specific need for that plugin. I assume that most DAW's have more than enough plugins for mixing duties, so untill you know what you are missing, I would stick with the plugins that come with your daw.

OP
Aleela

Aleela

My advice would be that you don't buy plugins until you have specific need for that plugin. I assume that most DAW's have more than enough plugins for mixing duties, so untill you know what you are missing, I would stick with the plugins that come with your daw.
Ok, thank you!

kitekrazy

What are your opinions about Waves Silver bundle? Is it enough for film scoring? Or are there other essential plugins to be taken separately from Waves?

What are the essential plugins?
Wait for a deal on Gold. Plus get use to the ones in your DAW. Often we assume they are inferior.

Living Fossil

What are your opinions about Waves Silver bundle?
Those plug ins are mostly older than 20 years.
I guess, most DAWs have built in plug ins with a similar (or better) quality.

As mentioned, MaxBass ist good, but it's one of the last plug ins (maybe even the last one) i would recommend to a beginner.
S1 also is great, but you can replace it more or less with this one (which is freeware):
http://www.alexhilton.net/A1AUDIO/index.php/a1stereocontrol

CoffeeLover

I'm a beginner, I don't have any mixing plugins yet. Any advice other than Waves?
if you are a beginner then i strongly suggest that you learn the stock plugins from your sequencer before you dive into anything else.
find videos on your daw stock plugins and how they work and so on and learn to use them inside out and then id go and get started with waves or fabfilter or whatever you are curious about.
but if you know how all that works already then just ignore what i wrote.
but i would recomend waves H-series bundle.

wst3

my office these days
It depends - like everything else.

my first "pro" plugins were the Waves Native Power Pack volumes 1 & 2, complete with parallel port dongle, and honestly I can't even remember which plugins were included. I know I used the C1 compressor and Q10 equalizer a lot, as well as all their effects.

If you need a comprehensive collection of plugins, and you are just getting started it is really difficult to go wrong with a Waves Bundle. Depending on your experience and needs the Silver or Gold bundles make an excellent starting point.

I still use quite a few of the Waves Plugins - at some point I upgraded to the Diamond bundle, it was less expensive than buying the few plugins I wanted to add. They are a little screwy like that.

Anyway, plugins I still use include:
C1 & C4 compressors - these are not meant to be emulations of anything, they are very flexible compressors, and sometimes that is exactly what I need. Probably not all that often for sampled instruments, but for live tracks they can be very handy.

Q10 - another aging (?) plugin. I have other "surgical" equalizers now, but I still return to this one sometimes. It really is a matter of the right tool for the job.

MV2 - this was a very happy surprise. This works really well on sample libraries, and especially mixes of sample libraries. I still don't need a compressor on most sample library projects, but I do try this one when I do.

Trans-X - a transient shaper, I prefer the SPL, but this has some neat tricks that the SPL can't do.

Renaissance Channel - another nice surprise. Not my favorite channel strip, but it can be just the thing, especially for live tracks.

All the effects are excellent, and probably the reason Waves is still installed.
Doppler, Doubler, Enigma, Hybrid Delay, MetaFlanger, MondoMod, Morphoder, S1 Stereo Imager, SoundShifter, SuperTap, TrueVerb, and UltraPitch
- of the bunch TruVerb is probably the weakest, and it still has some neat tricks up its sleeve. These are not my first call effects, but I do use them, and they can add some real spice to a mix. Some of them can do some really strange, twisted things to a track!

Q-Clone is a trip! Definitely worth checking out. I have yet to find a real application for it, but it is fascinating.

In addition to the stuff in Diamond I have a couple others that I really like:
MetaFilter is a great effect, as is Brauer Motion. And the F6 Dynamic EQ is amazing - another take on a multi-band compressor, but sometimes thinking about it this way helps.

And the winner, by far, is the Durrough meters - I used these as a broadcaster and recording engineer, and I know how the behave, so they are perfect - for me!

That's the good.

The bad and the ugly needs to be addressed.

Waves Upgrade Program (WUP) is outdated at this point - it was their attempt at a support subscription back when that was common place, and back when even the Silver bundle was out of the reach of many of us. I wish they would do away with it, but if you like their plugins you will be handing over money every couple years. I try to think of it as an annual, or bi-annual upgrade fee<G>!

Speaking of upgrades, the shift from major versions has not always been smooth. I can't recall which one was a complete disaster, 3 to 4 maybe, they overhauled their copy protection and pretty much held people hostage, charging them for an upgrade that did little more than improve copy protection. It was ugly.

9 to 10 hasn't gone all that smoothly either. I'm still not sure what went wrong, but it causes all sorts of problems on my system because I still have a mix of the two versions. UGH! I will probably, eventually, cave and pay the WUP.

There is no security for pricing either. You can pay $100 for a plugin only to have it go on sale for $29 the next day. I wish they'd pick a pricing model and stick with it. Of course I did pick up Brauer Motion and the Durrough meters while they were on sale<G>!

Even with all of that I think Waves offers some of the best non-emulation plugins on the market, the reason they haven't updated C1 or Q10 is because they were so far ahead of the pack back then. They don't need to. As such the bundles do represent a good investment if you are ready to explore plugins beyond what came with your DAW.

As others have said, don't ignore those, there are some real gems with almost ever DAW.

kgdrum

Greetings to All
Wait for a deal on Gold. Plus get use to the ones in your DAW. Often we assume they are inferior.

I have Gold and imo it's horribly dated ,I agree with other posters use what's in your DAW and then get what you actually need.
I have Gold and probably 10 to 15 other Waves plugins that imo are not so special + the WUP nonsense. I actually deleted everything I have from Waves and use tons of plugins from other companies.
I'm sure some of Waves are great but there's great plugs from a lot of companies. From my perspective the Gold and Silver bundles are old, dated and there's a reason Waves blows them out on sale all of the time.

dzilizzi

I just hang around pretending I know something
Normally, I would say buy Waves Gold. It has pretty much everything you need. But you can get Silver and Waves Tune LT and most of the basics are covered.

And? You don't really need plugins other than what you have in your DAW. For the most part, DAW basic plugins have improved so much in the last few years, you can get by for a while just using them. I would buy a good reverb when there is a sale that will give you more choices. The IR-1 is actually decent plus it lets you add other presets. But if you are doing orchestral stuff you may want to save your money for something like Spaces when it goes on sale.

And I would buy Waves Tune LT if you are recording audio especially vocals. It can be cheap on sale and it is much easier to use than a lot of the other pitch/tune plugins. (I have almost all of them) If everything is VST, you don't really need it.

KMA

What are your opinions about Waves Silver bundle?
I don't think Waves Silver is worth it at all. As many others have noted, these are very old plugins and most haven't aged well. I own Waves Gold and the only plugin from that bundle that I still use is the Renaissance Compressor.

The stock plugins in your DAW will be far better.

kitekrazy

I upgrade my Gold to Gold/Renn. I've been told those old Renaissance are still favorites in the industry.

Henu

They are, especially the EQ and the compressor. Definitely my favourite Waves series.

Waves actually have a bundle sale as we speak, so people may want to check it out.

SoNowWhat?

realised I can type here
I got Waves Gold early on. If I had my time again I’d skip that (this is all entirely my opinion). I have a few Waves plugins that I really like but none are in Silver or Gold.

Most of my preferred plugs are a collection of different things from different devs. It takes time to work out what you need and who does the sort of thing you like (results, interface, workflow). A lot of devs have trials (including Waves) so I’d definitely recommend that you try before you buy.

And as said above the plugs in your DAW will allow you to do quite a lot without spending more money. If you haven’t already, take a look at TDR (Tokyo Dawn Records) free plugs. There are other devs who also offer free plugs. Take a look around (step into the mixing section on VI-C).