What's new

Waves is Relentless with Their Sales

lpuser

I can't even install the plugins on more than one computer unless I go the route of carrying a USB key around with me, which is one more thing to misplace.
Even if you misplace your UBS key, you have at least 1 complete reset per year via Central, so nothing is actually lost. Even if this happens a 2nd time, the guys at Waves are usually very responsive. And you can even send all your licenses to the cloud via Central in advance and downlod them on a 2nd computer if needed. By the way, there are plenty of developers who use e.g. iLok and provide only 1 license.

lpuser

Frankly, I wish they'd rethink putting the waves plugins all in one shell and just release them like other developers do. Give me a vst, au or vst3 that I can actually see in my plugins folder.
Without going into details, very well known developers provide AU plugins which are actually wrapped VST plugins. That is definitely not better than the WaveShell situation, on the contrary, it gives the false impression that you are using natively coded plugins. And when the "wrapper guys" do not care to upgrade their wrappers or fix problems, you have an AU version which crashes, does not validated etc. pp.

OP
robgb

robgb

I was young once
Without going into details, very well known developers provide AU plugins which are actually wrapped VST plugins. That is definitely not better than the WaveShell situation, on the contrary, it gives the false impression that you are using natively coded plugins. And when the "wrapper guys" do not care to upgrade their wrappers or fix problems, you have an AU version which crashes, does not validated etc. pp.
I rarely use the AU versions. I tend to go for VST3, then VST, then AU.

I haven't had this problem re: sales spam -- maybe because I bought their products through a distributor.

Even assuming you are never wrong, couldn't you just unsubscribe?

SoNowWhat?

realised I can type here
I have several Waves plugs inc v9 and v10. I'm in Studio One 4 Pro so maybe that has something to do with it but I haven't had a problem running both v9 and v10 together. You do need to be careful when installing that you don't inadvertently update your existing v9 plugs to v10. I'm pretty sure there's threads on this topic already posted here.

In terms of quality, I purchased Gold bundle back a few years and if I had that time again I wouldn't have done that. I think Waves is much better (now?) if you pick and choose. Work out what you like and what you need and get as needed. Some of their plugs I haven't matched elsewhere yet, but most of them probably can be.

IMHO I think there are several developers out there that are in direct competition with Waves for several of their plugs and probably doing a better job of it. This is always such a subjective area and comes down to many different factors that will affect how much you get from a given plug. Luckily Waves and several other developers (small and large) offer demos of their products. Jump in and run some tests and AB some options to find what you like. I recently got into Acustica Audio Acqua plug ins and the one's I've purchased I absolutely love. Again they offer trials so I tested a stack of their options in the B/F to end of year sale period and selected the ones that I liked the most and away you go. There's a bit of a learning curve (well, there was for me) but it wasn't that difficult to get my head around eventually. Also, be aware there's a bit of a hit to CPU/system resources with Acustica. Another reason to test things before jumping in. They're also not $29 each which is a final reason to test before purchase.

I've also recently picked up some Plugin Alliance, Brainworx and other plugs that are very good too. Also, once you've bought in on something at P/A you tend to get discount vouchers that can provide price drops comparable to Waves where you're getting quality plugs for $29. Full disclosure, you get discount vouchers from Acustica too once you've purchased something and they have sales on various items through the year.

Izotope and Fab Filter would also be top of my list to check out if I was considering plug in options. Ditto for loyalty discounts there too.

I have no affiliation or connection to any of these devs. I get no money or products. I pay for what I get from them. Just sharing. I know I probably didn't need to write this but I find myself wondering when I read other posts so thought I'd make it explicit.

benmrx

I just got back from NAB. Talked to a Waves rep there for a bit. He said 80% if their tech support calls/emails are in regards to 'accidentally' updating plugins you already have when purchasing a new plugin. According to him, you should be able to mix/match v8, v9, v10 etc. Gotta read those prompts!! FWIW, at work we still heavily rely on the Diamond bundle.

gsilbers

Part of Pulsesetter-Sounds.com
what a race to the bottom with waves. cool for now but a new developer getting into the game expecting to sell them for more than $29 will not help us overall. kinda like doing filmscores for free or for next to nothing and therefore devlues music in general.

and.. it could also backfire. i started to see kids say waves sounds bad and are cheap and uad is much better. i got the uad card and tested vs waves and its not a clear winner. it depends. but if they sell you a mercedez for a 10th of the retail price you would start wondering if there is something wrong with the car or mercedez is not luxury.

pmcrockett

I just got back from NAB. Talked to a Waves rep there for a bit. He said 80% if their tech support calls/emails are in regards to 'accidentally' updating plugins you already have when purchasing a new plugin. According to him, you should be able to mix/match v8, v9, v10 etc. Gotta read those prompts!! FWIW, at work we still heavily rely on the Diamond bundle.
That the update system wastes so much tech support time for Waves is why I figure they didn't structure the updates like this deliberately and just decided that taking the tech support hit was easier/cheaper than revising the bad design decisions they made years ago regarding Waves Central.

Mix/match is totally possible -- it's just that Waves Central is set up only to do batch uninstalls and batch updates, so trying to only partially update your collection is a huge pain that Waves doesn't provide clear directions for.

benmrx

That the update system wastes so much tech support time for Waves is why I figure they didn't structure the updates like this deliberately and just decided that taking the tech support hit was easier/cheaper than revising the bad design decisions they made years ago regarding Waves Central.

Mix/match is totally possible -- it's just that Waves Central is set up only to do batch uninstalls and batch updates, so trying to only partially update your collection is a huge pain that Waves doesn't provide clear directions for.
Yup. Also, FWIW, from what I gathered..., get ready for 'in app/plugin' purchases in the not too distant future.

Top Bottom