What's new

WATCH IT – Solstice in short

MOMA

Stockholm, Sweden

I do like it. Spitfire Albion Solstice has evidently qualities that can bring out the best in you, or the worst. This is truly a lively instrument and must be handled with care. Although it may sometimes sound as it can be switched on and pretty much left alone for a while, this might be its downfall. The market will probably be drowned in layers up on layers of samples from this delicate library.
So this might be one of them:) Or is it?
"Watch it" is a comment on time and that split of a second that is your life. Gloomy? No, just a reminder to be alert and to not wait for anything.
The track is like life itself, short, so its not that painful. Yet I would love to hear your thoughts of the piece and the library - any tips and tricks are welcomed!

Best to you all, and keep up the great work, here and elsewhere!

MOMA
Stockholm, Sweden

Last edited:
Wonderful piece, i like the various textures a lot! It reminded me a little of "Someone loves us" from the Soundtrack "Everest" from Dario Marianelli. Really incredible what can be achieved with Solstice. So soft and delicate when desired but anyhow capable of creating momentum when needed. Very good job IMHO

Very nice piece, I did missed some more melodic content (even melodic cells) over some of the textures, but that's basically a matter of preferences, the piece is absolutely fine as it is and I think achieve its goals perfectly well ;)
I do love Solstice and the raw quality it has, it's completely different from other libraries I have or heard of (at least regarding the comprehensive raw-folky-ancient content included). Still exploring the library, same happened to me with BHT, there's so much content that on first try is a bit overwhelming.

Raw and edgy - still with a calm creepy feeling. Great film and a score to top it all. Great work, and quite different from you're "Madame Benoit", right?

Top notch!

Spice

Wonderful piece, i like the various textures a lot! It reminded me a little of "Someone loves us" from the Soundtrack "Everest" from Dario Marianelli. Really incredible what can be achieved with Solstice. So soft and delicate when desired but anyhow capable of creating momentum when needed. Very good job IMHO

Thank you wahey! Great to hear that you managed to get thru it, and that you appreciated the piece! Yes the library is delicate indeed. And I do feel that the drums are not mentioned that much in the reviews, but they are really something out of the ordinary.

Thank you and take care!

MOMA
Stockholm, Sweden

the visuals reminded me of something i saw at an undergrad art students exhibition. someone had bought up a bunch of old portraits and painted the eyes shut. f**king creepy AF. really good art - it really got under my skin and i still remember it years later. they looked like cadavers. the genius of it was the *process* of understanding. first i was like hmm these portraits are all odd. oh yeah - they have their eyes shut. ohhh theyve all been *painted* shut. ohhhhhh god

Very nice piece, I did missed some more melodic content (even melodic cells) over some of the textures, but that's basically a matter of preferences, the piece is absolutely fine as it is and I think achieve its goals perfectly well ;)
I do love Solstice and the raw quality it has, it's completely different from other libraries I have or heard of (at least regarding the comprehensive raw-folky-ancient content included). Still exploring the library, same happened to me with BHT, there's so much content that on first try is a bit overwhelming.

Thanks for the comment Iskra, great to hear from you!

Yes its a challenge to grasp all angles of this library. I do regard it as a kind of living thing - analog and intuitive. So what part would you say you have focused on yourself? Curious about your insights and direction with Solstice - and what style do you use it for?

Best to you, and take care!

MOMA
Stockholm, Sweden

I do like it. Spitfire Albion Solstice has evidently qualities that can bring out the best in you, or the worst. This is truly a lively instrument and must be handled with care. Although it may sometimes sound as it can be switched on and pretty much left alone for a while, this might be its downfall. The market will probably be drowned in layers up on layers of samples from this delicate library.
So this might be one of them:) Or is it?
"Watch it" is a comment on time and that split of a second that is your life. Gloomy? No, just a reminder to be alert and to not wait for anything.
The track is like life itself, short, so its not that painful. Yet I would love to hear your thoughts of the piece and the library - any tips and tricks are welcomed!

Best to you all, and keep up the great work, here and elsewhere!

MOMA
Stockholm, Sweden

Best part for me was the percussive entry at 1:50. Even listening at modest volume on my stereo, I was jolted. I flinched at that entry!
The music and video got me into a mulling mode: Time, aging can suck. Saw it when both my parents passed due to old age. Time.
Now I am retired and a'int getting younger. Time.

There are two angles (of 1000s) to take all this in:
1. The Bhudda/Hindu view: life/time is an endless wash-rinse-repeat: our sorry asses are back for yet another round.
or,
2. As non-dualists see Time: the whole thing is an illusion, so is this world; it's just a dream.

If anything, your work nicely stirs things up.

Looking forward to the next MOMA project.

ps. Based on your end titles I now can know you as Tidelius and no longer have to wonder if you really are MOMA (Museum of Modern Art).:thumbsup:
Cheers, Bill

Raw and edgy - still with a calm creepy feeling. Great film and a score to top it all. Great work, and quite different from you're "Madame Benoit", right?

Top notch!

Spice

Thank you Spice! Yes its a bit raw, but one of the most impressive qualities of this library is the dynamic character of the sounds that really can go from harsh and raw to gentle and subtle. Its is a treat to experiment and get the most out of it !

Best to you!

MOMA

Stockholm, Sweden

Thank you Spice! Yes its a bit raw, but one of the most impressive qualities of this library is the dynamic character of the sounds that really can go from harsh and raw to gentle and subtle. Its is a treat to experiment and get the most out of it !

Best to you!

MOMA

Stockholm, Sweden
Im still pondering - should I buy it or not, but you piece point in only one direction:)

great work!

Spice

the visuals reminded me of something i saw at an undergrad art students exhibition. someone had bought up a bunch of old portraits and painted the eyes shut. f**king creepy AF. really good art - it really got under my skin and i still remember it years later. they looked like cadavers. the genius of it was the *process* of understanding. first i was like hmm these portraits are all odd. oh yeah - they have their eyes shut. ohhh theyve all been *painted* shut. ohhhhhh god
Well images can really get to you, and the ones in this short film sort of moved me by their age.

Thanks for the comment tc9000 - take care!

MOMA
Stockholm, Sweden

Im still pondering - should I buy it or not, but you piece point in only one direction:)

great work!

Spice
I do not want to sell you anything - this is a good library, from my personal point of view. But having said that, I also must make it clear that its a special beast with a very distinct character. I would not regard Solstice as a allround library. This is a unique tool in the toolbox.

But there are good walkthroughs out there, so google away:)

MOMA
Stockholm, Sweden

Best part for me was the percussive entry at 1:50. Even listening at modest volume on my stereo, I was jolted. I flinched at that entry!
The music and video got me into a mulling mode: Time, aging can suck. Saw it when both my parents passed due to old age. Time.
Now I am retired and a'int getting younger. Time.

There are two angles (of 1000s) to take all this in:
1. The Bhudda/Hindu view: life/time is an endless wash-rinse-repeat: our sorry asses are back for yet another round.
or,
2. As non-dualists see Time: the whole thing is an illusion, so is this world; it's just a dream.

If anything, your work nicely stirs things up.

Looking forward to the next MOMA project.

ps. Based on your end titles I now can know you as Tidelius and no longer have to wonder if you really are MOMA (Museum of Modern Art).:thumbsup:
Cheers, Bill

Thanks for the kind words Bill!

Well the idea in general was that with the prospect of time at hand, we just might go for it now? Then again, the mood could be the thing we need from time to time, to pay attention and live the life in full:)
And yes the name is Tidelius (Swedish - don't try to pronounce it - you probably brake your tongue) I do sign the pieces with my real name for a number of reasons. The "MOMA" is an old thing – Music Of Modern Artists – it stayed on for no good reason. But I'm based in Stockholm and work on my craft in the best of my ability. Its great to hear from the talented people here at VI, and its rewarding to communicate in all so many ways.

Are you working on something that you can share?

MOMA
Stockholm, Sweden

Thanks for the kind words Bill!
---
Are you working on something that you can share?
Ett pågående arbete. My handle in Swedish per Google's Translator; although a back translation shows that phrase comes up short == "an ongoing work".

Regardless, "Ett pågående arbete" riffs on your Watch It time theme.

Thanks for clarifying the MOMA name. MOMA works for me!

Since you asked for me to share: I keep busy studying Frank Zappa and the composers he admired (Varese, Webern). From that study, I've posted some songs on my Soundcloud you could listen to. My 3 "hits": I Left My Heart in HIP-Z; Varese on Re-peat; and Bach in F to FZ. Just some fun stuff I've posted on SC and here in Member's Compositions.

Cheers from the Canada's 45th parallel,
Bill

Ett pågående arbete. My handle in Swedish per Google's Translator; although a back translation shows that phrase comes up short == "an ongoing work".

Regardless, "Ett pågående arbete" riffs on your Watch It time theme.

Thanks for clarifying the MOMA name. MOMA works for me!

Since you asked for me to share: I keep busy studying Frank Zappa and the composers he admired (Varese, Webern). From that study, I've posted some songs on my Soundcloud you could listen to. My 3 "hits": I Left My Heart in HIP-Z; Varese on Re-peat; and Bach in F to FZ. Just some fun stuff I've posted on SC and here in Member's Compositions.

Cheers from the Canada's 45th parallel,
Bill
I must say your Swedish is rapidly improving. At this impressive pace you'll be "svensk speleman" in no time:)
Zappa is a favorite and I'll be cruising around for your music, lets keep in touch!

Best to you

MOMA
Stockholm, Sweden

Very, very pleasing to the ear, and I'm tempted to say something that sounds terrifying at first, but if you ever had that happen, you will know what I mean: When a dentist brings out the slow drill with the large bit, they can sometimes hit that exact frequency that sort of vibrates through your entire body and spreads this immense warmth inside you. It goes in resonance with your body's frequency. This kind of effect happens with your piece, too. Very physical and very pleasing indeed.

Yeah, I'm scared of these libraries with the identifiable complexity that threatens to swallow and and all originality. But whatever you did with it is just too enjoyable to be worried about such troubles.

Great job!

Very, very pleasing to the ear, and I'm tempted to say something that sounds terrifying at first, but if you ever had that happen, you will know what I mean: When a dentist brings out the slow drill with the large bit, they can sometimes hit that exact frequency that sort of vibrates through your entire body and spreads this immense warmth inside you. It goes in resonance with your body's frequency. This kind of effect happens with your piece, too. Very physical and very pleasing indeed.

Yeah, I'm scared of these libraries with the identifiable complexity that threatens to swallow and and all originality. But whatever you did with it is just too enjoyable to be worried about such troubles.

Great job!
Thank you Taron, great to heat your thoughts about the piece.

Now the dentist is not one of my personal favorites, but I do get your point:) And I do share you're worries when it comes to originality. There may be a wave of solstice inspired pieces coming up, but then again I think it will die down pretty soon, and hopefully this library will be a well handled tool among others, in the hands of those who can make it sing in its own right.

Yet again, thanks and take care!

MOMA
Stockholm, Sweden

Wonderful piece and a great demonstration of Albion Solstice.
Thank you Mornats!

Great to hear you like it. An if you do come to use the library, please let me know your thoughts - always interesting to exchange ideas!

Best to you

MOMA
Stockholm, Sweden

A fine job.

Good writing with a tool that has a certain "vibe" and you molded it to your intentions.

It made me hit replay. That doesn't happen often.

Top Bottom