What's new

War SFX Libraries

Solara_Audio

That guy on the boat
Hey guys,

I'm currently working a project where I need some good SFX, mostly ambient war sounds (tanks, planes, gunfire, the like). Are there any good and affordable sound libraries or marketplaces out there? I've been sure to find some within the blink of an eye, but there was either free stuff (of often poor quality and / or questionable origin, like ripped from games) or some 999 $ bundles.

Every hint is appreciated.

Take care and a have a great sunday

I remember that the BBC made their sound library available some time ago (https://bbcsfx.acropolis.org.uk), while it's free for personal use you'd have to license them for commercial work (don't know how much that would cost though...).

Also can't comment on the quality since I never used them but since they're accessible for free you can check them out and see if you actually like/might use some of them:)
(Hope that helps)

The BBC library was my introduction to SFX, although back then it was distributed on vinyl and/or tape<G>. I still use it, and still love it. Fretti is quite correct, it is available for free for personal use, commercial use requires a license.

In addition to the BBC there are libraries that specialize in war sounds, and there are general libraries that offer a lot of war sounds. My go-to source for sound effects remains the nice folks at Sound-Ideas.com. They now resell just about every professional SFX library, in addition to their own stuff. I'm also a big fan of asoundeffect.com and boomlibrary.com The former has some very reasonably priced (and very focused) offerings.

FWIW, I would imagine you can find quite a bit through creative commons, but the quality is all over the place, in most cases, for me, the time required is just to much.

Hey guys,

I'm currently working a project where I need some good SFX, mostly ambient war sounds (tanks, planes, gunfire, the like). Are there any good and affordable sound libraries or marketplaces out there? I've been sure to find some within the blink of an eye, but there was either free stuff (of often poor quality and / or questionable origin, like ripped from games) or some 999 $ bundles.

Every hint is appreciated.

Take care and a have a great sunday
If you have not already, please check asoundeffect.com

They have an ever increasing catalog of independent sound designers sfx and often have sales (check their on sale listings). Personally I never buy bundles or large sfx collections as they often have a small percentage of great sound fx, but building your own collection through purchasing small collections as you need them (and hopefully on sale) is the way to go.

My original sfx collection from 1990-2010 was about 150GB (mostly collections). I’ve added another 300GB in the last 10 years just from asoundeffect, all 96k or higher (but check sample rate before you buy) and all stuff I really like. But there is a huge amount, listen to demos and look at the file listing before buying to know what your getting. Large collections don’t give you those kinds of previews, so beware.

Adobe has Explosions and Weapons.

https://offers.adobe.com/en/na/audition/offers/audition_dlc/AdobeAuditionDLCSFX.html (<u>https://offers.adobe.com/en/na/audition/offers/audition_dlc/AdobeAuditionDLCSFX.html</u>)

Hey guys,

wow, your input was extremely helpful. Thank you very much!

I didn't even know Adobe got sound effects, I'm learning something awesome everyday.
I will also dive deeper into the BOOM stuff, the collections sound really great after a short first listen.

My original sfx collection from 1990-2010 was about 150GB (mostly collections). I’ve added another 300GB in the last 10 years just from asoundeffect, all 96k or higher (but check sample rate before you buy) and all stuff I really like. But there is a huge amount, listen to demos and look at the file listing before buying to know what your getting. Large collections don’t give you those kinds of previews, so beware.

I was actually wondering if its worth to go for the big (and pricey) collections. Thanks for the advice, sounds like a reasonable approach!

Kind regards

Hey guys,

wow, your input was extremely helpful. Thank you very much!

I didn't even know Adobe got sound effects, I'm learning something awesome everyday.
I will also dive deeper into the BOOM stuff, the collections sound really great after a short first listen.

I was actually wondering if its worth to go for the big (and pricey) collections. Thanks for the advice, sounds like a reasonable approach!

Kind regards
Everything I've gotten from BOOM is 96k. They do things the same way Sound Ideas, Hollywood Edge, etc do, where single wav files have multiple cuts of the same effect... You can also buy 'designed' versions separately from the non-designed versions. Non-Designed typically being more expensive as the designed ones are readymade scenarios that may not fit needs someone needs doing regular sound design for film. Designed however would probably be fine for people doing occasional short film design..

Either way they have pretty decent previews that should give you an idea if they're worth it or not... A little pricy, but on the same level as Sound Ideas, HE, etc.

Anything by BOOM is top notch. Definitely my vote as well...

If you have an APD account and some points:

https://audioplugin.deals/boom-library-black-powder/ - Explosions etc - $59
https://audioplugin.deals/boom-library-guns-designed/ - Guns - $179
Personally I have never found any library from Boom to be that great honestly. Perhaps you could list a few you own that you love and I can take another listen.

The black powder is a good example. Called a “Boom Micro “ library, it’s got a good price (for boom) considering with credits you can get it down to $39, but for that price you get a bunch of simple black powder booms, good for a pirate movie or a civil war film, but not much else (there are much better explo booms in other libraries for sound design), considering the soft, round tones that black power produces, it’s not going to cut through a densely designed mix or a heavy war scene (which is why they are not great for layered sound design).

But yes, 96k is great to have, and boom does record everything well enough, it’s just their choices in sounds are many times “meh” to me compared to independent sound designers who work on films all the time and really put a lot of effort into not only recording, but choosing the best samples and editing/ designing them to fit into a dense mix better (which is much of what’s being done considering pic editing is getting quicker and quicker). Taking this all into consideration it seems Boom libraries are always a bit too expensive (even on sale) for what you get. Which is why I always end up back at the asoundeffect.com’s search window again and again.

Ironically asoundeffect.com also sells Boom’s black powder, @$55, and has another black powder library at $25 (though at 48k).
Combine these kinds of prices with there sales (which happen constantly, but not across the board) and I always seem to find a better solution at a much smaller price.

Top Bottom