What's new

Wallander WIVI

Yepp, works great. Very responsive and compared to other virtual windcontroller sounds (Samplemodeling & Audiomodeling) the latency is smaller. I have the full instruments and pro version. Not all sounds are good but there's a lot to choose from. In the pro player it's possible to combine sections. I used WIVI in Ableton where I put a midi scale plugin in the WIVI channel so I could play polyphonic (one chord per step). This works mainly for own arrangements when you know what happens because you can't change modes or keys while playing. But it's fun!

Yepp, works great. Very responsive and compared to other virtual windcontroller sounds (Samplemodeling & Audiomodeling) the latency is smaller. I have the full instruments and pro version. Not all sounds are good but there's a lot to choose from. In the pro player it's possible to combine sections. I used WIVI in Ableton where I put a midi scale plugin in the WIVI channel so I could play polyphonic (one chord per step). This works mainly for own arrangements when you know what happens because you can't change modes or keys while playing. But it's fun!
what insturments are not good?

I suppose Arne Waldländer has reached pretty much the limits of what is possible with this technology. It does not quite get where really good samples with a lot of work put into the sequence get you. However, it is unique as it is the only VSTi that is really playable, even as an ensemble.
The same technology is used in note performer for notation programs, which is the best thing I ever bought. It loads really quickly and makes a very decent note output, mostly without the need for any additional steps to make it sound correct. WIVI is probably more detailed.

I have not used it much, as I replaced it with Samplemodeling stuff. It was fun to play large ensembles in real time.

I'm not so exited about the oboes, horns and flutes. I love the bassoons, clarinets (especially the bass clarinets), tuba, trombones.
A great plus is the quantity of instruments. Every brass and wood instrument of a big concert band is in there. Eb-clarinet, bass flute, wagner tuba, euphonium... whatever you are looking for is there.
I suppose Arne Waldländer has reached pretty much the limits of what is possible with this technology.
That's what he said. But the horns, flutes, trumpets and oboes sound way better in Noteperformer meanwhile (since NP3), so I don't think Arne has reached the limits in WIVI as - as far as I know - it uses the same technology. Still hoping for an update... but Arnes interest in WIVI seems to fell asleep. But that's ok, I'm so happy he's doing Noteperformer! What a great software! And WIVI in it's current state is still more than useful.

Last edited:
Yepp, I think so.
Alright! I hope NP4 will at one point improve the string sound. That is probably the only week part for orchestral sounds. If Dorico could then improve some of the playback aspects, one day I hope I can send the audio straight from the notation program to a customer ... :-D
Well, at least for a preview!

I've got WIVI Band and an EWI. I think it's the same as the Pro version, just with less instruments and options.

I'd been using the EWI with the .sfz player, using instruments I'd ported from other libraries. I was quite happy with those - especially the Westgate instruments. But I'd hoped to have more control over the timbre, especially with reed instruments.

I really wanted to like the WIVI Band, because it's inexpensive, and really light in terms of CPU use.

But I didn't get the "sound" that I was looking for, and ended up not using it. The brass was OK, the double reeds not so much.

I now have the SWAM instruments and Sample Modeling trumpets, and I'm really happy with them.

Last edited:

I've also used the Pro version with the complete instrument library since the easy days of WIVI. In general I've found the brass to be more usable than the woodwinds. (Maybe being a WW player I'm just more critical.)

I've also used the Pro version with the complete instrument library since the easy days of WIVI. In general I've found the brass to be more usable than the woodwinds. (Maybe being a WW player I'm just more critical.)

i like woodwinds bit more but in these sounds i think indeed brass is better. some flutes sound too thin or something like it in these. like some synth recorder soundswhat i feel are made form sinewve or like panflutes and clarinetes made form square waves...:)

Hey, while we're on the subject, does anyone know where to install Wivi instruments?

I have them and the plug-in, but one of my macOS updates broke the installation. It doesn't know where the instruments are.

Nick, I haven't responded yet because I've been super-busy, but I went through this with my new iMac last summer and I think I successfully moved them or reconnected them to the app afterwards, but I also seem to recall having to do an update first, as I was out-of-date and I think the update was a compatibility fix on macOS. It's a vague memory by now.

HD - Library - AppSupport - WIVI (contains the folders Doc, Instruments, Presets, Recource, Template)
VST and Component are in the usual system folders.

Sending a request on the wivi-web site generates new download links for the installers.

Yep, mine are as per Saxer above, but I previously hosted them on a separate drive with my older computer due to precious disc space on the system drive. This time I decided to keep it simple. If you need to put them elsewhere other than "/Library/Application Support/WIVI/Instruments/" let me know and I may find some notes about what I did previously to move from the default area (prefs/etc.).

It's also safer to follow Saxer's advice and generate new download links from the site. The instrument files are mostly from 2009, but other files have been updated in the past year, so you'll probably get a cleaner over environment for WIVI to operate in.

For a long time WIVI has been my main brass library. Today I use it as a support to some more moderns libraries but I think it remains very useful. The brass mutes are the best.
The virtual sound stage sounds awesome and saves you a lot of time that you would have to spend with any other dry library.

I need to spend some time with the brass mutes, as I consider that a weakness of Sample Modeling's brass. I still prefer the Yamaha VL technology for mutes, over Sample Modeling.

Top Bottom