What's new

VSL Synchron Strings I

I wonder if the Synch. Strings Discounts, and Synch. Strings 1 Optimized version is the only exciting news from VSL this month ?

Just to clarify, could I add SS1 articulations into my SySP patches? For example, I have all my Synchron String Pro shorts on a certain dimension controller, but could I also add the super short harsh patch from SS1 and then be able to switch between all the shorts across both libraries? That would be super helpful for using these two together in a single instance of Synchron player.
My custom preset contains both Syn Strings I and Pro, I just copy and paste the slot to make my own.

My custom preset contains both Syn Strings I and Pro, I just copy and paste the slot to make my own.
Would you mind sharing how you nested things in the articulation switcher? There are so many keyswitches already for Pro! :D

You can download my preset and modify to your own. Only Shorts, Super Shorts, Pizzicato, tremolo are from Synchron Strings I, the rest are from the Pro.
How do you like the SS1 legato vs. SSPro? I'm not sure if the recording technique or style is different between the two libraries or if they blend perfectly together. SS1 has more dynamic layers / round robins, but generally SSPro was better received it seems and has totally different legato.

Thanks.

OK. That's very good. But, I'm still undecided if I need it, I will check the articulations of the optimized version, then decide. even 50% less space is still considerable amount of SSD space.
I'd say do it! You already own it, why not have all your articulations available 😊

I'd say do it! You already own it, why not have all your articulations available 😊
Hi @Casiquire,

Yes, that is a logical thing to do, but one of my main issues right now is SSD real estate, and planning to allocate SSD space for other libraries that might be more useful, so it's a matter of importance, and priorities.

But, Yes, sure. I will think about it.

Thanks. :)

Ah, I didn't see this thread earlier, and made the mistake of trying to figure out the new "optimized" purpose on my own, after running out of disc space to install the second part.

So now it's clear I don't need them and that I can delete the first part that just installed, sticking instead to the full versions.

Or maybe it's not so clear after all. The "Strings Comparisons" chart linked above, seems to indicate there are redundant samples that are IDENTICAL in Strings I and Strings Pro (as opposed to new recordings of the same articulations).

So if the optimized version simply removes these, I'm better off deleting the full Strings I library and using "optimized" instead. But someone else said one would lose some articulations that way. The articulations chart linked below, also seems to back up this claim:

Another concern I had, was whether one can ONLY use the optimized versions in conjunction with the Pro library.

Last edited:
I think what I'd rather have is an optimized version of Synchron Strings Pro since for a number of articulations, SS1 has more layers than SSP. So download all of SS1 and just the optimized version of SSP.

How do you like the SS1 legato vs. SSPro? I'm not sure if the recording technique or style is different between the two libraries or if they blend perfectly together. SS1 has more dynamic layers / round robins, but generally SSPro was better received it seems and has totally different legato.
I like the shorts from Synchron Strings I, it has more dynamic layers and round robins, and I prefer legatos from Synchron Strings Pro, they're easier to work with; too many dynamic layers requires more time for midi programming, which I don't really have.

I also layer Synchron Strings with other string libraries, such as Dimension Strings and Berlin Strings, great result!

The shorts of Synchron Strings 1 are what is motivating me to install the optimized version. I'm not too fond of the rest of the library. I have never tried the cantabile Legatos, so those might be worth it as well, since they were added later on.

Any comments/feedback regarding the Cantabile Legatos in SS1 ?

The shorts of Synchron Strings 1 are what is motivating me to install the optimized version. I'm not too fond of the rest of the library. I have never tried the cantabile Legatos, so those might be worth it as well, since they were added later on.

Any comments/feedback regarding the Cantabile Legatos in SS1 ?
I think the optimized version only has legato and longs? I didn’t install it yet. Cantabile legato is truly beautiful and very playable, 2 dynamic layers bring back the playability of legendary VSL legato! I think Cantabile is now Molto vibrato from Synchron Strings Pro.

I think the optimized version only has legato and longs? I didn’t install it yet. Cantabile legato is truly beautiful and very playable, 2 dynamic layers bring back the playability of legendary VSL legato! I think Cantabile is now Molto vibrato from Synchron Strings Pro.
No, The Optimized version has a lot of the Shorts in SS1.

Check this list of patches, the ones printed in bold are included in the Optimized version.

https://www.vsl.info/en/instruments/synchron/strings-i#included-patches

My guess is that Optimized only contains stuff that was in the original Standard Edition. As I have the Full Edition plus the Cantabile gift, I've lost my sense of what is just in the Standard Edition -- though I think in this case it's just a matter of which mics are present vs. the articulation set as in the older Vienna Instruments libraries.

Yes, I put that same link in my earlier post as evidence that the new "optimized" patches are a space-saving alternative but not a substitute for the full set. So I pushed them to a spare drive for now and kept the original ones.

The only mystery now, is whether there is any point in keeping both available. Such as for patches that might use material from both Strings I and Strings Pro (whether factory or custom patches).

My guess is that Optimized only contains stuff that was in the original Standard Edition. As I have the Full Edition plus the Cantabile gift, I've lost my sense of what is just in the Standard Edition -- though I think in this case it's just a matter of which mics are present vs. the articulation set as in the older Vienna Instruments libraries.
I have Synchron Strings 1 (Full version) but had deleted it from my SSD a while ago.

Here is what My-VSL account shows for downloads :

As you can see there are two download options, one is the Stereo Mics only of the Optimized version, the second is for the Additional Mics for the Optimized version.

It doesn't show the original downloads for you anymore? I didn't check to see whether my account still shows them. I downloaded and installed both of the new "optimized" files but had to do it on another (slower) SSD as my main 4 TB SSD is already filled thanks to the 280VC library. ;)

Top Bottom