What's new

VSL Synchron Strings I Announced (Nov. Release)

I have done a brief mock up of the start of the string bit of Blue Planet 2 (ie the promo video VSL used) with both Synchron using the player and Soaring Strings (just from ear so the basic structure of it from what i can make out).

This is exactly the same parts/midi apart from different expression/velocity xfade which i tailored to each library.

Soaring:
[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/soaring-blue-planet-mp3.14257/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Synchron:
[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/synchron-blue-planet-mp3.14258/][/AUDIOPLUS]

I don't think Synchron sounds too bad in all honesty. I would say it took more editing to get Synchron close to decent than it did with Soaring though.

I think Soaring's celli cope better with the faster arpeggio bit than Synchron. None of the legato modes really gave me what soaring gives you there.

Also, the lower register of the violas and violins in Soaring are simply gorgeous and sound better than Synchron's in my opinion.

Synchron maybe sounds a bit richer and fuller. That is likely down to the multiple mics though and larger section sizes.

Another thing to note is that Synchron is pretty resource hungry if you load the full dynamics with velocity and vibrato cross fade with 4 mics. Obviously much, much more so than Soaring.

If i put more time/effort into it i could probably get better results with both libraries. There is probably more to get out of Synchron though due to the different options in terms of vibrato/dynamics.

Attachments

• Soaring Blue Planet.mp3
    1.8 MB · Views: 176
  • Synchron Blue Planet.mp3
    1.8 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Such tests are always interesting to listen to, thanks. But in order to make an even more fair comparison, it could possibly be better with a more soaring (more vibrato) version of Synchron Strings?

Such tests are always interesting to listen to, thanks. But in order to make an even more fair comparison, it could possibly be better with a more soaring (more vibrato) version of Synchron Strings?

That is as soaring as it gets in the current Synchron. That is using the lyrical vibrato (with cross fade from non to add a bit more expression)

@Eptesicus
Great example, but I find the Soaring version better. In the last days I tried all different options inside Synchron Player and VI Pro to manipulate the legato, but it's frustrating. I expect from a new high-end library to be great out-of-the-box and don't spend much time editing.

Could you provide the midi file for this short cue? That would be great.

I have done a brief mock up of the start of the string bit of Blue Planet 2 (ie the promo video VSL used) with both Synchron using the player and Soaring Strings (just from ear so the basic structure of it from what i can make out).

This is exactly the same parts/midi apart from different expression/velocity xfade which i tailored to each library.

Soaring:
[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/soaring-blue-planet-mp3.14257/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Synchron:
[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/synchron-blue-planet-mp3.14258/][/AUDIOPLUS]

I don't think Synchron sounds too bad in all honesty. I would say it took more editing to get Synchron close to decent than it did with Soaring though.

I think Soaring's celli cope better with the faster arpeggio bit than Synchron. None of the legato modes really gave me what soaring gives you there.

Also, the lower register of the violas and violins in Soaring are simply gorgeous and sound better than Synchron's in my opinion.

Synchron maybe sounds a bit richer and fuller. That is likely down to the multiple mics though and larger section sizes.

Another thing to note is that Synchron is pretty resource hungry if you load the full dynamics with velocity and vibrato cross fade with 4 mics. Obviously much, much more so than Soaring.

If i put more time/effort into it i could probably get better results with both libraries. There is probably more to get out of Synchron though due to the different options in terms of vibrato/dynamics.
Wow! I am getting caught by surprise again with Soaring's Strings sound AND legato functionality! The Cellos in the arpeggiated part sound amazing!
+1 sharing the midi file (I'm interested for the Soaring's Strings take), I would like to see how CSS would handle the arpeggios.

SyS take isn't that good (not blaming you), the sound is lacking expression and the notes are disconnected. To my ears there aren't any legato interval samples, just some smudgy overlap between adjacent notes. Also, they lack definition (the Cello arpegggios are a far cry from SS's in this example), and the strings are sounding muddy overall. Some EQ on the lower frequencies might help on that part.

Anyway, great job posting these two examples!!!

Yeh, Soaring is very impressive, especially for fast/arpeggiated lines.

However, obviously Soaring is lacking, in that you always have that baked in very expressive and intense vibrato. Ideally, i would have liked the opportunity to vibrato crossfade with Soaring for this piece as well.

Would love it if Musical Sampling did a more detailed string library taking that legato forward into a multi mic, multi articulation library with different levels of vibrato and performance styles.

Synchron is tricky. It has potential i think, but ultimately i feel they need to redo the legato transitions, and maybe add another more expressive vibrato layer. Using vibrato and velocity cross fade does help in adding some expression, but the transitions are so devoid of life and quiet that it makes them almost imperceivable, and because of that, you lose any chance of making a piece sound like a performance.

I am out all day today, but will try to upload the midi file later when i get home.

Last edited:
Yeah, I really don't like Synchron version of that theme. It's much less convincing and... well, synthy. I really hate the fact that I'm using this word to describe 250GB library with 1000000 of samples in 2018. Especially higher strings at 0:11. "Soaring" are beauties during the same moment...

And I just don't understand why VSL decided to sample two vibrato types instead of two vibrato intensities. It's just odd. I can only imagine someone saying - look how awesome the vibrato changes from this wave to this wave.

Just fyi, just finished my first piece with SS + SP. Upbeat music without ambitions to bring you catharsis. Dedicated to William ;) And I'm not sure if this is just me, but it seems that Sycnchron Player is more demanding on ram and CPU than combo VE + VI. Can't compare it anymore, because old synchrons are long gone from my drive, so it's just a feeling.

Btw, do you think that strings sound "synthy" in here? I'm asking because I feel that they sound kinda good, but I don't know if it is just because I spent with this piece much more time than 3:10 and I'm just biased?

Hi,

Sadly, I still have not heard any Synchron Strings 1 demo that impressed me.

Do you think this library is just one big failure for VSL ?

If not, please prove it with a demo.

@Guy Bacos . Have you had some time to work with Synchron Strings 1 and the New Synchron Strings Player ? If Yes, do you have any new demos to contribute here that might change my, and many others impression of this library, by proving to us that this is a top of the line Strings Library, and it's all a matter of using it properly ?

I'm a bit curious why VSL has not posted any new audio demos for this library, done with Synchron Strings Player ?

So, I am sticking to my decision to Not Install this library until I change my perception about it. So far, I think it is a Big Failure for VSL. and a waste of my $$$ , Unless I'm proven wrong.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

So, I am sticking to my decision to Not Install this library until I change my perception about it. So far, I think it is a Big Failure for VSL. and a waste of my $$$ , Unless I'm proven wrong.
I don't understand your persistence on this. Since you've already bought the library, you have nothing to loose if you try out by your self. You would have had very much concluded on your own if you like it by now, and if it can fit to your workflow, and these would have been safe conclusions, because it doesn't matter if Guy Bacos or anyone else provide you a nice demo, there are people that can produce amazing results with almost anything. What's important is what can you create with this library! And the best way to really know is to roll up your sleeves and try it out!!!

I don't understand your persistence on this. Since you've already bought the library, you have nothing to loose if you try out by your self. You would have had very much concluded on your own if you like it by now, and if it can fit to your workflow, and these would have been safe conclusions, because it doesn't matter if Guy Bacos or anyone else provide you a nice demo, there are people that can produce amazing results with almost anything. What's important is what can you create with this library! And the best way to really know is to roll up your sleeves and try it out!!!

I totally understand your point, and it is valid, but in this case, I am sticking to my decision to wait until I hear a single great sounding demo, before installing it. as I said, I really can't believe there is not a single demo that impressed me so far. So, it's not looking good, and nothing is encouraging me to waste my time installing this library (yet).

I am sticking to my decision to wait until I hear a single great sounding demo, before installing it. as I said, I really can't believe there is not a single demo that impressed me so far. So, it's not looking good, and nothing is encouraging me to waste my time installing this library (yet).

Well I do think the demos on the VSL Web site from @Guy Bacos and others are very good and the String really sound nice on there demos,

@muziksculp if you don't feel those demos are good, I really believe its time for you to move on perhaps sell the product on and start thinking of another library maybe just stay away from VSL,

Firstly I believe SyS is misunderstood, you do need to put some effort into it, and that want suit people because people love that out of the box glory, or the instant gratification and if that is not there then the library is completely condemned.

I think the condemnation of this library on this thread has put a lot of people off, and has giving people a negative view on the product to the point even when a great demo is done you will automatically say crap, and thats what negative talk does, it tends to blind people or in this case makes them death to the beauty of the library.

If you talk negative shite all the time about a very good product eventually your conscience want believe anything good about it.

And in this case I believe this craft of negativity has been set in stone.

So do yourself a favour and forget the library existed and sell it and move on find something every one is saying good things about.

I still say they are my go to and cant do with out them.

still say they are my go to and cant do with out them.

That's a big statement, especially for a strings library I haven't been impressed by its demos so far.

I really don't think the demos posted by VSL of Synchron Strings 1 are impressive, or offer anything special to my ears, they are OK, that's about it. Maybe I'm expecting much better, but that's just me. Given the size, and specs of this library, it doesn't measure up to my expectations. That's as simple as I can put it.

So, to make you happy, I won't bother complaining anymore, maybe I will hear an amazing Synchron Strings 1 demo one of these days, and change my mind. Until that happens, I'm not going to bother discussing this library any further, or give any further opinions about it, or bother installing it, or selling it.

I requested more than once from VSL on their forum to post new demos, but so far.. They have not posted any new audio demos that were produced via Synchron Strings 1 Player. (which imho. is not a good sign).

So... Enjoy using Synchron Strings 1, I'm glad you are very happy with what it offers.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Sorry, time was scarce last couple of months, have been focussing on a video project. I'll need to read more of the thread.

Sorry, time was scarce last couple of months, have been focussing on a video project. I'll need to read more of the thread.

Hello Guy,

Welcome back, and it's very nice to see you back on this thread. :)

I would be delighted to hear some feedback from you regarding Synchron Strings 1 and the New Synchron 1 Player, I don't know if you had any time to work with the Player lately, if you did, then what is your professional opinion about this library, its strengths, weaknesses, ...etc.

I have been Requesting/begging VSL to post some new Audio Demos of Synchron Strings 1 produced using the new Synchron Player, but so far they have not posted any new demos. Which I'm hoping will sound better, and more realistic. The lack of new better audio demos is not helping much. I feel non of the current posted demos by users of Synchron Strings 1 with Synchron Player are flattering, or make me smile.

Thanks,
Muziksculp

That's a big statement, especially for a strings library I haven't been impressed by its demos so far.

I don't think it's a big statement it's my statement, it's what I think

really don't think the demos posted by VSL of Synchron Strings 1 are impressive, or offer anything special to my ears, they are OK, that's about it.

Strings don't make a great composer, I always say the writing is what grabs the attention, not the library it self, so in fact I have heard live orchestra that really sounds bad because of the way it was written, also not applying notes correctly I have heard some really not so good demo from CSS
So hearing what users do should not be the foundation of weather we buy or not or use or not.

If you were buying a car and wanted to see how it drives would you ask someone to drive it and watch and then because they did not driveit like Hamilton would you just walk away and not even test it yourself.

So, to make you happy, I won't bother complaining anymore, maybe I

I was not sad because the challang you put out on SyS, I just believe there has been a lot of negative statements and don't believe you and many others can get over it.
I just gave my advice in view of the situation on this thread.

I feel the negative statements have coursed a back lash against the library and the momentum is quite strong, so you using it with all what has been said, it's just set you up for failure with the strings and it will be something very difficult to overcome especially if you have not tested it yourself

Given the size, and specs of this library, it doesn't measure up to my expectations. That's as simple as I can put it.

The SyS lack in articulations but using them I don't find myself searching around for extra.

SyS have a very solid feeling about them they have a lot of density compared to other library's, the size of the library could have a lot to do with that, even when played against orhcestral strings, orchestral strings feels light in comparison,
But the density is one of the things I love about SyS

glad you are very happy with what it offers.

At the end of the day it's not about me and what I feel about the product its about you and aways should be about you and how you feel about it weather negative or positive

novaburst

@eli0s ,
What do you think about it so far ? are you very happy with what it offers, and how it sounds ?

You misunderstood me, I don't own the library, my comments and critique so far are based purely on what I hear in the demos. So, we are both finding the library problematic. The difference is that since I didn't pre-oder the library I can only judge from the demos and the examples provided by owners of the library. You, however, already made the purchase and you don't have anything to loose by trying the library. Sure, you'll have to invest some time (witch you already do by waiting on the forums for someone to provide you a demo that you like), and disk space (but you can delete the library anytime you want).

Look, I agree that the library is a far cry from what we thought it will be based on the advertising (Strings Re-invented, Performance Legato Re-Invented). Personally I don't even like the sound, it's too thin and sterile (the sustains). But others do like the sound, so this isn't objective. The legatos are nonexistent in all the demos and this is probably the worst no-no for me.

There are good things in the library though. The shorts are very nice (Staccatos and Pizzicatos). The bases are sounding good and huge. I am sure that you will find more positive things if you try the library. If you don't, well, you just lose your money, don't you?:unsure:

Top Bottom