What's new

VSL Synchron Strings I Announced (Nov. Release)

So far VSL has not posted any new audio demos to impress us. I wonder why ? especially if they (VSL) think this is a first-class strings library.

That's the least they can do to prove to us that Sync.Strings 1 with the new Syn.Player is a great sounding strings library (and all of the critics are wrong).

Maybe they will be posting some new demos in the coming days. Let's see if this happens soon.

This to me is also the real telling thing.

In fact, going back to the pre-order....i'm not sure they even new how the legato would sound or had it working when that first demo came out.

There was seemingly no legato lines in that and i think even the demo composers didn't have access to legato patches at first...

Personally i think they promised something without even listening to it or geting it to work first and then have realised after taking loads of pre-orders: "oh **** it sounds like balls"

What's really frustating for me is that since the first presentation of the Synchron Player at Westlake back in january (!), nothing changed in terms of functionality. I wonder what they have been doing all the time. There is actually no new feature. And I am still missing what they called "True Dynamics". It is mentioned in the product catalogue and was mentioned at Westlake, but has vanished.

One good thing is that the new player does seem to be excellent. Should have been released all at the same time though really, as the library is clearly made for the player and not vi pro.

Finally I understand the "re-invented legato" thing. Here is the whole story...

VSL HQ, somewhere in Australia Austria

VSL guy 1 (with Arnold Schwarzenegger accent): Guys, we've got awesome sound stage, let's record something
VSL guy 2: Strings?
VG 1: Bazookas! Nah, strings are cool...

Few months later...

VG 1: Ok people, we've got awesome shorts, pizzicatos, trills, tremolos and 30 second crescendos! Now legato.
Random VSL employee 1:Ok!
Random VSL employee 2:Ok!!
Random VSL employee 3:Ok!!!
VG 2: So how we do it?
VG 1: How we do what?
VG 2: How we do legato?
VG 1: You don't know?
VG 2: I forgot man, last years are kinda blurry...
VG 1: Damn man, why you didn't say that earlier?
VG 2: (man shrugs)
VG 1: Ok, so what do you suggest?
VG 2: You know, we basically invented the whole damn legato thing. Maybe we can just invent it again. You know, re-invent?
VG 1: Smart thinking, I like it, let's do this!

... few more months later

~a bit bumpy legato line playing~
VG 1: Man, this legato is passable!
VG 2: Yep, it certainly is... By the way, I also re-invented sforzando!

Credit roll

Could someone give it a try:

load a legato patch and do a transpose (halftone or octave) via the edit page.

Do you have hanging notes?

Finally I understand the "re-invented legato" thing. Here is the whole story...

VSL HQ, somewhere in Australia Austria

VSL guy 1 (with Arnold Schwarzenegger accent): Guys, we've got awesome sound stage, let's record something
VSL guy 2: Strings?
VG 1: Bazookas! Nah, strings are cool...

Few months later...

VG 1: Ok people, we've got awesome shorts, pizzicatos, trills, tremolos and 30 second crescendos! Now legato.
Random VSL employee 1:Ok!
Random VSL employee 2:Ok!!
Random VSL employee 3:Ok!!!
VG 2: So how we do it?
VG 1: How we do what?
VG 2: How we do legato?
VG 1: You don't know?
VG 2: I forgot man, last years are kinda blurry...
VG 1: Damn man, why you didn't say that earlier?
VG 2: (man shrugs)
VG 1: Ok, so what do you suggest?
VG 2: You know, we basically invented the whole damn legato thing. Maybe we can just invent it again. You know, re-invent?
VG 1: Smart thinking, I like it, let's do this!

... few more months later

~a bit bumpy legato line playing~
VG 1: Man, this legato is passable!
VG 2: Yep, it certainly is... By the way, I also re-invented sforzando!

Credit roll

Made me laugh. Thanks. :)

I have a different approach. If we all read between the lines correctly, we will see that re-invention must be compared to their previous libraries and not in general (= as we all expected).

So the re-invention is as follows:
1) more velocity layers
2) less keyswitching or patch switching, e. g. repetitions are built in

But that's not enough, for sure.

I have a different approach. If we all read between the lines correctly, we will see that re-invention must be compared to their previous libraries and not in general (= as we all expected).
That would be a rather stupid business decision for them, to ignore the competition. In any case, the silence is deafening. They know damn well they screwed up here.

Made me laugh. Thanks. :)

Of course that's what they meant. I kind of think it's silly to have expected something else, to be honest.

Is there any way to up the voice count? Seems to be limited to 256 so if you play a long patch with more than 3 notes one drops out...

Yes, in perform page you can set voices limit up to 1024

Thanks. Is that per instance of it or across all instances?

Because if it is across all instances 1024 isn't going to be enough if playing chords using the whole section.

Last edited:
I think that every istance is well separated, so 1024 should be a limit per instance.
And yes, this could be limiting for a single instace, too...

Hmmm.... Still not a single audio demo of Synchron Strings 1 produced with the new Synchron Player that can change my perception of this library. :rolleyes:

What's going on ? why no new VSL demos ? what's the verdict on this library after the Synchron Player has been released ?

I decided to wait until I hear a single great sounding demo before bothering to install any part of this library.

Hmmm.... Still not a single audio demo of Synchron Strings 1 produced with the new Synchron Player that can change my perception of this library. :rolleyes:

What's going on ? why no new VSL demos ? what's the verdict on this library after the Synchron Player has been released ?

I decided to wait until I hear a single great sounding demo before bothering to install any part of this library.
Eh..... you haven’t installed it yet? even when everything is released?! wow.. hmmm. So you’re saying that if they don’t release a demo you won’t install it? ever?

Top Bottom