What's new

VSL Synchron Strings I Announced (Nov. Release)

Good Question. I haven't noticed VSL posting anything about this.

I haven't purchased any Synchron Perc. libraries yet, it would be helpful to know if they released the Synchron Player for Synchron Perc. If it was released it will show up in 'MyVSL' section, provided you purchased it. Anyone have Synch. Perc. able to provide some feedback on this ?
no.. nothing.

Is the player ready for Synchron Percussion?
I have Synchron Perc. Just looked on my VSL page but I didn't see anything new listed for Synchron Perc.
Within the new Synchron Player, I added Synchron Perc to the Synchron Player database but no Perc presets showed up in the Preset window. Either I'm missing something or the new Synchron Player isn't ready for Synchron Perc.
In one of the new Synchron Player videos, Paul did mention Synchron Perc so hopefully it will be available soon for the new player.

It would also be nice to have a companion iPad app to go along with the new player.
We'll see, it appears they still have a lot to roll out.

OK, so it looks like they are not ready to release Synchron Player for Synchron Perc yet.

Hopefully they will release it (Soon) . ;)

The usability of the new Synchron player is definitely great improvement over its predecessor. Yet, I can't stop thinking , with the new player, I realize how little articulations are actually included in this Strings I library, when comparing with FX Strings I.

I doubt even when they put out Strings II, the art list would be enough to cover the basic.

The dimension tree is great, but using the cells for switching vibrato is quite cumbersome. VSL could have just added a parameter on the side (just like many other devs do)...

Yet, I can't stop thinking , with the new player, I realize how little articulations are actually included in this Strings I library, when comparing with FX Strings I.

I think the problem with being a developer with so many top string library's is trying to find a good balance between them all,

I think the developer hopes for genuine users to find a place in there projects for each library and can get maximum use from the library's as a whole and not as one.

The dimension tree is great, but using the cells for switching vibrato is quite cumbersome. VSL could have just added a parameter on the side (just like many other devs do)...

This of course should keep you coming back for more from there string line instead of going else where.

Not sure if a developer can do a head shot library and would rather go with the theory that they try there best at a pacific type of library as it is being developed, if there was ever a case of a head shot library then it could mean there existing library's want sell.

So variety is key for developers,

You can just set up a dimension that consists of the vibrato patch and the noVib crossfade ressource patch, turn ot the parallel mode and assign the crossfade to a CC. That way it behaves like a standard patch where the vibrato is controlled by CC. I've set all up all the patches that way.

While everyone is downloading the new Synchron Player encodings I'd like to take a second to publicly wonder why VSL would use the names "short" and "super short" for the Synchron Strings articulations.

They've always been sticklers for accuracy in musical terms (in fact I think I learned the meaning of "portato" from their libraries) and it's baffling to me why they would eschew staccato/staccatissimo.

Weird, if you ask me.

You can just set up a dimension that consists of the vibrato patch and the noVib crossfade ressource patch, turn ot the parallel mode and assign the crossfade to a CC. That way it behaves like a standard patch where the vibrato is controlled by CC. I've set all up all the patches that way.

Thanks for the suggestion! I saw that too in the walkthru video, but just thought setting vibrato using a column of dimension takes up quite a bit of screen-estate. If it's always no-vib, vib, and lyrical vib, VSL could have a simple knob (like Synchron Piano) or a slider (like Spitfire SCS). Using a dimension would make lots of sense if VSL is planning to release more vibrato types (but I can't think of any at this moment...).

While everyone is downloading the new Synchron Player encodings I'd like to take a second to publicly wonder why VSL would use the names "short" and "super short" for the Synchron Strings articulations.

They've always been sticklers for accuracy in musical terms (in fact I think I learned the meaning of "portato" from their libraries) and it's baffling to me why they would eschew staccato/staccatissimo.

Weird, if you ask me.
Well Staccato in the classic sense, doesn't mean short but separated. Anyway that's what George Hurst taught me, when I once attended one of his courses,

Well Staccato in the classic sense, doesn't mean short but separated. Anyway that's what George Hurst taught me, when I once attended one of his courses,
With all due respect this sounds more like a "strong quote" every director likes to have, than a true statement :) . If the composer wants separated he writes "non legato". Staccato means (more or less) short. As italian I can tell you "staccato" means just separated, but as a musical term it means a short sound as we all know.
We're quite OT from what @cadenzajon wrote btw :D

Well you said yourself, staccato means short! :)
I prefer the short for staccato, because many libraries seems to think of staccato as a pronounced short note, leaving staccato pp behind. With VSL you know there is considerations behind such a decision so I go with the flow.

...why VSL would use the names "short" and "super short" for the Synchron Strings articulations.
I think it has to do with section sizes. I read from different developers that in bigger sections there's no audible difference between staccato and spiccato. Probably the part of detail that gets lost and makes the difference between chamber and orchestral. Spitfire Symphonic Strings and HZ Strings doesn't have different samples for spicc and stacc too.

NO CELL AUTO-NAMING

Unlike VI (pro), the synchron player does not have auto-naming function.

When I drag a patch to the tree, the cell stays "untitled". I wrote to VSL, and Paul/VSL told me to copy and paste the names from the presets. (What I need to open another instance just for copying the names??!!!!)

Worse yet, Paul/VSL said such feature will be added in the near feature. Currently, it's only on the so-called "wish list".

As a musical term staccato means to play the note for half the written duration. A whole note at 60bpm with a staccato mark would technically be played for two full seconds, then two seconds rest. In practice a player won't necessarily be so clinical, they'll use their judgment.

Player is great, setting things up the way I want is a breeze. It looks nice, works fast and new sample format takes less space. Awesome. But there are details I don't like:

- no keyboard support at all. Everything has to be done with mouse click - for me it is annoying
- velocity crossfade seems to be global so I can't turn it off (or don't know how to) on shorts or pizzicatos
- no auto-naming

Sound wise? Same, but better. Why? At last I can mix mics without pain and hear vibrato (although lyrical one seems to sound a bit quieter than normal which doesn't make 100% smooth crossfade). Mic presets are very good. Also built in reverb works suprisingly well and makes the sounds thicker, but still detailed. And this is the biggest sonic surprise to me.

Legatoes? I think they sound better. Because VSL is dialing by default legato blur to 30! Seems like a simple trick to make me think, that legato is indeed better. But I still don't think it is. My ears want to hear improvement, but my mind is saying "there is no pie".

Was it worth the wait? No. Does it reached its hype? No. Does the player improve the library? Yes, huge step forward, but still this is not a library worth 600$. But it is just my opinion. Will see how Synchron will work during sequencing, composing.

ps. Still don't know how to use those slurs, sometimes they are very pronounced, sometimes they are invisible...

Last edited:
Hi @Piotrek K. ,

Thanks for your feedback on the new Synchron Strings 1 Player, and the library in general.

I'm sure you will discover more details as you get more experienced with using the new Player, and the Library. I won't be installing it until another week or two, hopefully they will have uploaded more content for download by then.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Top Bottom