What's new

VSL Synchron Strings I Announced (Nov. Release)

I sincerely hope they go that route and take as much time as they need. I can wait a few more months if VSL is busy fixing what still sounds like a very promising library.

If VSL was really to do something about the legato in its current form, I believe re-editing or possibly re-recording would have to be done. I'm not an expert when it comes to editing or scripting by no means, but to my ears it sounds as if they cut into the transition samples quite aggresively, compared to legato patches of some other companies' libraries, and the sustain part is kind of tacked onto that, and the attack is very immediate.

Absolutely this. If you listen to the non soft legato patches especially, you can hear that pretty much the whole attack is left on the start of each note, even after a transition making it not sound like legato at all.

I've been experimenting with trying to smooth out the attack of the sustained note after the legato transition in VI Pro in order to create a more likeable legato sound and feel.
This is what I've been doing:

• "Advanced" tab, again to "Advanced" view (next to Mixer, Voice, Edit, Stretch).
  • Set Start offset mode to legato - obviously, affecting only the note that's being transitioned to, not the starting note of a phrase.
  • Start offset set to 1 ms - This actually cuts into the transition sample, which is the opposite of what I want. But the setting needs to be at least 1 ms for the next parameter to do anything.
  • Start offset attack - this adds a crossfade to the note that's being transitioned into. Which in theory should be what I'm looking for, because it kills the immediate, bumpy attack of the sustained sample that causes the disconnected keyboard-y sound. For the soft legato patch, I set this to a very high value, like 365 ms.
Now if you set the global "start" scaler to max, the effect becomes audible. I think it actually sounds quite workable. I wish there was a way to stretch the transition samples themselves a bit and make them a little louder.

But yeah, have fun doing this with all the legato patches in all mic positions for all sections, and also their crossfade ressource patches in order to also be able to transition from novib to vib ...

@Jimmy Hellfire

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

I seriously have no interest in running Synchron Stirngs 1 , or any Synchron based library in VI-Pro 2. That's why I didn't even bother with downloading Synchron Strings 1 (Full Version).

They simply were not developed to work with in VI-Pro 2. So... Let's hope the new Synchron Strings 1 Player will deliver a great workflow, and improve the legato functionality.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Last edited:
Paul is once again doing a disservice to the legatos by playing them without dynamic crossfading IMO. Very hard to hear if there's much of an improvement to the VI Pro version. Looking forward to user demos and opinions!

Well the player is a huge step forward in terms of working with the library. That is for sure. However, so far the problems with the legato remain as fas as I'm concerned. In fact, I don't get why they divided the legato into slurred and non-slurred. The slurred legato patch in Synchron has a way more pronounced, almost portamento-like, sound to it. You can't play a melody without it sounding weird. So, are the other legato types not fingered legato? If so, what are they? There is no pronounced slur in these as you'd expect. I have a feeling this is part of the mystery why the regular legatos do not sound the same as in other libraries.

Last edited:
Thanks to VSL for finally releasing the Synchron Player for Synchron Strings 1 .

Now, I need to install a new SSD drive for this library, I will be running it on a dedicated Slave-PC, hosted via VE-Pro 6.

More files for this library will be added in the coming days, so it's going to take some additional time for the entire library to become downloadable. I look forward to see how I like it, and will also test the legato options and the rest of the articulations , it offers, and post some feedback once I have worked with it for a few days.

Meanwhile, I will be checking out the new tutorial videos posted of the new Synchron Strings 1 Player.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Top Bottom