What's new

VSL Synchron Strings I Announced (Nov. Release)

I forgot about this, but using this feature inside VEpro give you the option to edit each mic position if needed with 3rd party effects,

But yes for sure mic position would be beneficial.

I don't use VE, or VE Pro at all. It makes things only more complicated. :)

What I mean is the basic process of even setting up your own instruments and matrices in the first place. It's a nightmare. In order to even load a single articulation, you currently need to drag and drop every single mic position manually into a slot - and let's not even get started with setting up slot crossfades etc. And that's just one single articulation. Setting up a whole SyS template with all 5 sections can result in hours of work. It's like buying a Kontakt library and having to drag all the samples in the correct places in the mapping and group editors.

That's why my biggest hope for the Synchron Player is that it automatically recognizes and places all patches in the background where they belong to. I don't wanna screw around with Shorts - close, shorts Decca, Shorts - room mix etc. etc. I want to pick the shorts articulation and be able to adjust mic positions via sliders just like it's possible in any multi mic Kontakt lib Otherwise it's no use.

I don't use VE, or VE Pro at all

I don't think I can do with out VE and that not just for Synchron, but once its all set up its all saved and can continue to another project,

In my mind I am not sure if the new player is going to make me want to change this method as I find it very useful,

That's why my biggest hope for the Synchron Player is that it automatically recognizes and places all patches in the background where they belong to. I don't wanna screw around with Shorts - close, shorts Decca, Shorts - room mix etc. etc. I want to pick the shorts articulation and be able to adjust mic positions via sliders just like it's possible in any multi mic Kontakt lib Otherwise it's no use.

I am sure there will be mic position sliders, but when I think about it, it hasn't been the VSL way but I guess we can wait and see.

I don't think I can do with out VE and that not just for Synchron, but once its all set up its all saved and can continue to another project,

In my mind I am not sure if the new player is going to make me want to change this method as I find it very useful,

Not sure what it has to do with VE Pro though. VE Pro is one step up the "hierarchy", so to speak. It doesn't host the samples, it handles routing. The benefit of switching projects without unloading the samples stays intact regardless of what sample player it contains (VI Pro or the Synchron Player).

The issue I'm talking about is that handling multi-mic patches in VI Pro is currently unfeasible and if this doesn't change with Synchron Player, it would sort of end up being a supposedly superior new software that can't do what Kontakt 4 did 10 years ago. :grin:

Hi all,

This was an experimental piece for string orchestra, created exclusively with the Vienna Symphonic Library strings. In this version, I used Synchron Strings exclusively, with no additional reverb, except for a bit of "Miracle".

In this version, I layered orchestral, chamber, and solo strings, and placed them in Mir's Teldex Studio.

My thoughts:

-I began this version by copying the midi data for the previous orchestral/chamber/solo strings version. In all, it took about 4 hours of tweaking to complete the Synchron version.

-I like the sharp attacks of the Synchron strings (it's nice to be able to have that little "marcato" at the start of a legato phrase)

-The shorts are clean, crisp, decisive

-Increased velocity layers allows for less precise tweaking of the expression cc data

-The workflow doesn't feel any more efficient using Synchron with the current Vienna Instruments player. Hoping that the soon-to-be-released Synchron player is more intuitive and improves workflow.

-The piece is a little "punchy/bombastic" in terms of the overall force of the sound. I was definitely trying to create a heavy handed performance with decisive articulations so that I could compare the two versions.

Dave

Last edited:
Example 2.PNG Example.PNG

This is just an example of how I use mic volume sliders in VE. note benefits of 3rd party effects, of course this would be routed to a single lane inside your DAW. its just an example to explain what I mean and the possibility's that can be accomplished by using the product in this method, remember once your satisfied just save.

I don't believe the new player can offer a better solution in possibility

I hope for an easier way to select patches. Program Changes would be nice and easy, for both Cubase and Logic. I hope for a more customer orientated approach from both VSL and Spitfire - just bought the Symphonic Strings and the Chamber Strings - the manuals are horrible, and there should be VST & Logic Articulation maps supplied, with the relevant presets. I was fairly new to Spitfire, and I had to figure out how to create a patch with ALL art. in Kontakt. That shouldn't be necessary when I just bought 2 libs to 1200$! Even with the help of third parties like Babylonwaves it's quite time consuming to build these set-ups. Yes I know - sound like an old angry man - well I am. Sometimes! ;)

This is just an example of how I use mic volume sliders in VE. note benefits of 3rd party effects, of course this would be routed to a single lane inside your DAW. its just an example to explain what I mean and the possibility's that can be accomplished by using the product in this method, remember once your satisfied just save.

I don't believe the new player can offer a better solution in possibility

Again, that's not what I mean. The Synchron Player can't and isn't supposed to change anything about that. The Synchron Player is the sample player. It facilitates the samples itself. VEPro doesn't have to do anything with that. Whatever The Synchron Player does or does not do, VEPro is going to host it the same way it hosts VI Pro.

What I'm talking about is that in order to load a single articulation patch in a new cell, in VI Pro I have to:

1) go to "Patch" tab, click on "A - String patches"
2) choose "000 Synchron Strings"
3) choose "01 SY 1st Violins-14"
4) choose "01 Close"
5) choose "A - FULL VELOCITIES"
6) choose "01F VI-14_Long-LyV_Close"
7) drag the patch into the cell manually
8) choose "02 Mid L+R"
9) choose "A - FULL VELOCITIES"
10) choose "01F VI-14_Long-LyV_Mid"
11) drag the patch into the cell manually
12) choose "03 Main L+R"
13) choose "A - FULL VELOCITIES"
14) choose "01F VI-14_Long-LyV_L-R"
15) drag the patch into the cell manually
16) choose "03 Main Center"
17) choose "A - FULL VELOCITIES"
18) choose "01F VI-14_Long-LyV_C"
19) drag the patch into the cell manually

This is the process for the standard library. If you got the full one with the additional mics, proceed with step #20 - 31.
You have now successfully loaded one single articulation for one out of five full string sections with over two dozens of articulations.

Now you got your basic "longs" patch in a cell and can start setting it up whatever way you need it, or dialing in the mics. Let's not even get started about setting up noVib to Vib or something like that.

Compare that to, let's say, some Albion, CSS or whatever Kontakt library you happen to have lying around. What do you have to do in order to load a "longs" articulation and choose a mic mix?

1) Load CSS 1st Violins
2) click on "Sustain"
3) move mic sliders to taste

That's the point I'm trying to make. ;)

@novaburst ,

The new Synchron Player is much better designed, and suited for multi-mic libraries, the older VSL Libraries were fine to work with in VI-Pro , but not the Synchron line of libraries. There are so many improvements that that the new Synchron Player will offer to make using the newer Synchron based libraries much faster, easier, and more enjoyable too. Speedier workflow, and possibly other details that improve the whole experience of using VSL Synchron based libraries.

VSL would have not bothered with developing a new Synchron Player, if using VI-Pro2, and VE-pro 6 was good enough. But that's surely not the case.

Hi guys I am not challenging you or debating, and yes @Jimmy Hellfire I understand where you are coming from with full velocity and so on

VSL would have not bothered with developing a new Synchron Player, if using VI-Pro2, and VE-pro 6 was good enough. But that's surely not the case.

@muziksculp this also is not my intention.

My impression is that VSL works to its fullest potential when it is used in its entire entity meaning VE is a vital ingredient to the usage of VSL products (also 3rd party products)

once the mic positions are in the new player and that is if VSL take this approach, it means when using any 3rd party effects it will effect all the mic positions, and you may not want to do that,

For example you may want to use your preferred 3rd party reverb, or distortion on just the close mic position, that will not be achievable without effecting all the mic positions.

in a mic set up using VE weather pro or the free version each mic position can be edited independently without effecting any other mic position in a single track lane, so weather you have 7 or 4 mic positions you can go to work on them independently to get your desired sound/tone/feel

You can already see the disadvantage of having all mic positions in one player as is the norm in other library's

That's all I was trying to convey and for you to see the advantage in this method and to understand the role of VE.

You can already see the disadvantage of having all mic positions in one player as is the norm in other library's

Not really though. You can route different mic positions to different audio outs in Kontakt and process those independently, that's no problem. For example, I always do this for drum kits, as I would never compress or EQ the kickdrum the way I do the snare. I see no reason why the Synchron Player shouldn't be capable of doing that, it's basic functionality of any decent sample player. I'm sure you'll be able to route the mic positions from the Synchron Player to VE Pro independently.

I'm sure you'll be able to route the mic positions from the Synchron Player to VE Pro independently.

Hahaha:cool: I would say that Kontakt is a we bit more than just a player, but if you want to try it on just the kontakt player hmmmmm

Anyway I guess we will see when it is released but its not essential, and I think its a bit of a wishful thinking :emoji_tools:

Hi all,

This was an experimental piece for string orchestra, created exclusively with the Vienna Symphonic Library strings. In this version, I used Synchron Strings exclusively, with no additional reverb, except for a bit of "Miracle".

In this version, I layered orchestral, chamber, and solo strings, and placed them in Mir's Teldex Studio.

My thoughts:

-I began this version by copying the midi data for the previous orchestral/chamber/solo strings version. In all, it took about 4 hours of tweaking to complete the Synchron version.

-I like the sharp attacks of the Synchron strings (it's nice to be able to have that little "marcato" at the start of a legato phrase)

-The shorts are clean, crisp, decisive

-Increased velocity layers allows for less precise tweaking of the expression cc data

-The workflow doesn't feel any more efficient using Synchron with the current Vienna Instruments player. Hoping that the soon-to-be-released Synchron player is more intuitive and improves workflow.

-The piece is a little "punchy/bombastic" in terms of the overall force of the sound. I was definitely trying to create a heavy handed performance with decisive articulations so that I could compare the two versions.

Dave

Great demo. It doesn't sound "synthy" to me. There's little focus on the troubled legato, but it's clear that the library is very good

Great demo. It doesn't sound "synthy" to me. There's little focus on the troubled legato, but it's clear that the library is very good

Thank you, Casiquire! As for the legato, I'm finding with the piece I'm currently working on, that I'll probably need to layer another string library with Synchron, because, no matter how much I experiment with every setting available in the VI Player, I simply can't achieve smooth, connected phrases.

Dave

Thank you, Casiquire! As for the legato, I'm finding with the piece I'm currently working on, that I'll probably need to layer another string library with Synchron, because, no matter how much I experiment with every setting available in the VI Player, I simply can't achieve smooth, connected phrases.

Dave

That's really unfortunate!

Hi,

I wonder what VSL Website's main page will feature tomorrow (Monday April 2nd) ?

Another Discounted Library line for the month ? or maybe Synchron Brass ? or the new Synchron Player ? or ... ?

We will know for sure by tomorrow. :)

Any guesses ?

All The Best,
Muziksculp

I'm VERY happy that VSL is not ditching its original libraries completely to follow other developers down this ambient library rabbit hole. So far, to my subjective ears this library has just reinforced that while MIR may not be perfect, MIR + dry libraries + a bit of finishing reverb is still the best all round compromise available to date for my needs.

Top Bottom