What's new

VSL Synchron Strings I Announced (Nov. Release)

For sure, but this is still not a very big orchestra.
I don't know..I suppose it depends on what we are accustomed to! But I also think that playing with mics and adding a reverb over those sample, you could achieve what you're looking for. Layering is not a bad idea, but I wanted to point out that those are 14 violins if I'm not wrong... no chamber music at all..

Naturally there will be many more demos in the next days and weeks, especially now that we have access to a more complete library.

I was asked on the VSL forum if it was possible to listen to The Hatchling without the percussion, so I thought I'd share it here as well:

The Hatchling (with no percussion)

@Critz, no, at 2:48 these couple of notes are not legato patches.

Thanks for posting this, Guy. Without the percussion, I actually came away more impressed (which isn't to say that Synchron Percussion doesn't sound good, because it does). While I'm not always a fan of the string's timbre, I can't deny that there's a great deal of realism on offer here.

I don't know..I suppose it depends on what we are accustomed to! But I also think that playing with mics and adding a reverb over those sample, you could achieve what you're looking for. Layering is not a bad idea, but I wanted to point out that those are 14 violins if I'm not wrong... no chamber music at all..

Yes, so it’s symphonic but not large. Let’s see what can be done. But still interested to hear thoughts on layering this with other libraries, like Spitfire. Might not work well with two different halls.

If I understand correctly these demos were done without the new player. What advantage does the new player have? Is legato improved with it?

edit: the -as always enchanting- Guy Bacos' piece.

The marcato parts sound outstanding. Is it just a simple marcato patch?!

Also, could you tell us if did you see large differences (improvements) working with a library that for the first time has 8 dynamic layers on long notes?

The marcato section up to 1:10,(staccatos, all accents and repeated fast notes) if we exclude the low tremolos, is all done with the "super staccato" patch. Kind of "out of the box" if you want.

Regarding the dynamics layers, if we take this same section, being able to chose which dynamic matrix is best even for quick changes was very efficient. For the long notes, as you asked, I will be more experimenting this in my next demo, but I can tell you that the loud is louder and soft is softer, so basically, you get a wider range of timbre contrasts. In my middle section, I stayed within the soft and medium dynamic matrix, but had I continued to build up, I would of moved to the strong dynamic matrix and the feeling is that you are getting the right string or bowing tension without forcing it or harshness.

Last edited:
The marcato section up to 1:10,(staccatos, all accents and repeated fast notes) if we exclude the low tremolos, is all done with the "super staccato" patch. Kind of "out of the box" if you want.

Regarding the dynamics layers, if we take this same section, being able to chose which dynamic matrix is best even for quick changes was very efficient. For the long notes, as you asked, I will be more experimenting this in my next demo, but I can tell you that the loud is louder and soft is softer, so basically, you get a wider range of timbre contrasts. In my middle section, I stayed within the soft and medium dynamic matrix, but had I continued to build up, I would of moved to the strong dynamic matrix and the feeling is that are getting the right string tension without forcing it.
Thanks Guy.. lovely piece, and the Strings only demo shows it off really well.
Do you think that a similar demo in stereo only will ever slightly affect the feeling of openness (or any other aspect of timbre), the same that the “ stereo” demo in “Synchron Percussion I” did? Thanks.

I'm VERY impressed by these two demos...

The shorts are deceptively superior to A LOT of other stuff out there. I can clearly hear and distinguish up bows and down bows. I wonder if these RRs were performance sampled.

The pizzicatos are great.

The legatos are top shelf as well. They sound quite convincing to me in the slow section of Guy's piece. Progressive vibrato inside the same note is working so naturally I almost overlooked it. The samples are "alive" and have a feeling of musical intent.

As Christof gently corrected ;) , what we're hearing in his demo is only partially legato but mostly detache. The detache bowing sounds like it has a slight lag.

I prefer the sound of Trackdown or Teldex to this stage so I probably won't buy this, but can't wait to hear what people do with it.

Something to note that I heard over on the VSL forums, they did not use the Synchron Player for these demos.

Anyone know how much disk space is needed for the standard library?
Also, when does early-bird pricing end?

BTW, I'd recommend to run the Synchron library off of an SSD and have adequate RAM in your machine and optimize your pre-load buffer sizes in the Directory.

Last edited:
Anyone know how much disk space is needed for the standard library?
Also, when does early-bird pricing end?
VSL has said, I think, that Synchron Strings I will be around the 200 GB mark, similar to Synchron Percussion I. I don't remember if that includes the extended library.

Excellent demos. My first thought was "depth." I'm hearing a realism that I'm not hearing in other libraries. These demos are making me interested in this library for the first time.

Top Bottom