What's new

VSL Synchron Strings I Announced (Nov. Release)

Casiquire

Made me laugh. Thanks. :)

I have a different approach. If we all read between the lines correctly, we will see that re-invention must be compared to their previous libraries and not in general (= as we all expected).
Of course that's what they meant. I kind of think it's silly to have expected something else, to be honest.

Eptesicus

Is there any way to up the voice count? Seems to be limited to 256 so if you play a long patch with more than 3 notes one drops out...

Eptesicus

Yes, in perform page you can set voices limit up to 1024
Thanks. Is that per instance of it or across all instances?

Because if it is across all instances 1024 isn't going to be enough if playing chords using the whole section.

Last edited:

al_net77

I think that every istance is well separated, so 1024 should be a limit per instance.
And yes, this could be limiting for a single instace, too...

OP
muziksculp

muziksculp

Hmmm.... Still not a single audio demo of Synchron Strings 1 produced with the new Synchron Player that can change my perception of this library. :rolleyes:

What's going on ? why no new VSL demos ? what's the verdict on this library after the Synchron Player has been released ?

I decided to wait until I hear a single great sounding demo before bothering to install any part of this library.

C-Wave

Hmmm.... Still not a single audio demo of Synchron Strings 1 produced with the new Synchron Player that can change my perception of this library. :rolleyes:

What's going on ? why no new VSL demos ? what's the verdict on this library after the Synchron Player has been released ?

I decided to wait until I hear a single great sounding demo before bothering to install any part of this library.
Eh..... you haven’t installed it yet? even when everything is released?! wow.. hmmm. So you’re saying that if they don’t release a demo you won’t install it? ever?

Eptesicus

I have done a brief mock up of the start of the string bit of Blue Planet 2 (ie the promo video VSL used) with both Synchron using the player and Soaring Strings (just from ear so the basic structure of it from what i can make out).

This is exactly the same parts/midi apart from different expression/velocity xfade which i tailored to each library.

Soaring:
[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/soaring-blue-planet-mp3.14257/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Synchron:
[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/synchron-blue-planet-mp3.14258/][/AUDIOPLUS]

I don't think Synchron sounds too bad in all honesty. I would say it took more editing to get Synchron close to decent than it did with Soaring though.

I think Soaring's celli cope better with the faster arpeggio bit than Synchron. None of the legato modes really gave me what soaring gives you there.

Also, the lower register of the violas and violins in Soaring are simply gorgeous and sound better than Synchron's in my opinion.

Synchron maybe sounds a bit richer and fuller. That is likely down to the multiple mics though and larger section sizes.

Another thing to note is that Synchron is pretty resource hungry if you load the full dynamics with velocity and vibrato cross fade with 4 mics. Obviously much, much more so than Soaring.

If i put more time/effort into it i could probably get better results with both libraries. There is probably more to get out of Synchron though due to the different options in terms of vibrato/dynamics.

Attachments

Last edited:

Vik

Scandi Member
Such tests are always interesting to listen to, thanks. But in order to make an even more fair comparison, it could possibly be better with a more soaring (more vibrato) version of Synchron Strings?

Eptesicus

Such tests are always interesting to listen to, thanks. But in order to make an even more fair comparison, it could possibly be better with a more soaring (more vibrato) version of Synchron Strings?
That is as soaring as it gets in the current Synchron. That is using the lyrical vibrato (with cross fade from non to add a bit more expression)

Pixelpoet1985

@Eptesicus
Great example, but I find the Soaring version better. In the last days I tried all different options inside Synchron Player and VI Pro to manipulate the legato, but it's frustrating. I expect from a new high-end library to be great out-of-the-box and don't spend much time editing.

Could you provide the midi file for this short cue? That would be great.

eli0s

I have done a brief mock up of the start of the string bit of Blue Planet 2 (ie the promo video VSL used) with both Synchron using the player and Soaring Strings (just from ear so the basic structure of it from what i can make out).

This is exactly the same parts/midi apart from different expression/velocity xfade which i tailored to each library.

Soaring:
[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/soaring-blue-planet-mp3.14257/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Synchron:
[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/synchron-blue-planet-mp3.14258/][/AUDIOPLUS]

I don't think Synchron sounds too bad in all honesty. I would say it took more editing to get Synchron close to decent than it did with Soaring though.

I think Soaring's celli cope better with the faster arpeggio bit than Synchron. None of the legato modes really gave me what soaring gives you there.

Also, the lower register of the violas and violins in Soaring are simply gorgeous and sound better than Synchron's in my opinion.

Synchron maybe sounds a bit richer and fuller. That is likely down to the multiple mics though and larger section sizes.

Another thing to note is that Synchron is pretty resource hungry if you load the full dynamics with velocity and vibrato cross fade with 4 mics. Obviously much, much more so than Soaring.

If i put more time/effort into it i could probably get better results with both libraries. There is probably more to get out of Synchron though due to the different options in terms of vibrato/dynamics.
Wow! I am getting caught by surprise again with Soaring's Strings sound AND legato functionality! The Cellos in the arpeggiated part sound amazing!
+1 sharing the midi file (I'm interested for the Soaring's Strings take), I would like to see how CSS would handle the arpeggios.

SyS take isn't that good (not blaming you), the sound is lacking expression and the notes are disconnected. To my ears there aren't any legato interval samples, just some smudgy overlap between adjacent notes. Also, they lack definition (the Cello arpegggios are a far cry from SS's in this example), and the strings are sounding muddy overall. Some EQ on the lower frequencies might help on that part.

Anyway, great job posting these two examples!!!

Eptesicus

Yeh, Soaring is very impressive, especially for fast/arpeggiated lines.

However, obviously Soaring is lacking, in that you always have that baked in very expressive and intense vibrato. Ideally, i would have liked the opportunity to vibrato crossfade with Soaring for this piece as well.

Would love it if Musical Sampling did a more detailed string library taking that legato forward into a multi mic, multi articulation library with different levels of vibrato and performance styles.

Synchron is tricky. It has potential i think, but ultimately i feel they need to redo the legato transitions, and maybe add another more expressive vibrato layer. Using vibrato and velocity cross fade does help in adding some expression, but the transitions are so devoid of life and quiet that it makes them almost imperceivable, and because of that, you lose any chance of making a piece sound like a performance.

I am out all day today, but will try to upload the midi file later when i get home.

Last edited:

Piotrek K.

Yeah, I really don't like Synchron version of that theme. It's much less convincing and... well, synthy. I really hate the fact that I'm using this word to describe 250GB library with 1000000 of samples in 2018. Especially higher strings at 0:11. "Soaring" are beauties during the same moment...

And I just don't understand why VSL decided to sample two vibrato types instead of two vibrato intensities. It's just odd. I can only imagine someone saying - look how awesome the vibrato changes from this wave to this wave.

Just fyi, just finished my first piece with SS + SP. Upbeat music without ambitions to bring you catharsis. Dedicated to William ;) And I'm not sure if this is just me, but it seems that Sycnchron Player is more demanding on ram and CPU than combo VE + VI. Can't compare it anymore, because old synchrons are long gone from my drive, so it's just a feeling.

Btw, do you think that strings sound "synthy" in here? I'm asking because I feel that they sound kinda good, but I don't know if it is just because I spent with this piece much more time than 3:10 and I'm just biased?

OP
muziksculp

muziksculp

Hi,

Sadly, I still have not heard any Synchron Strings 1 demo that impressed me.

Do you think this library is just one big failure for VSL ?

If not, please prove it with a demo.

@Guy Bacos . Have you had some time to work with Synchron Strings 1 and the New Synchron Strings Player ? If Yes, do you have any new demos to contribute here that might change my, and many others impression of this library, by proving to us that this is a top of the line Strings Library, and it's all a matter of using it properly ?

I'm a bit curious why VSL has not posted any new audio demos for this library, done with Synchron Strings Player ?

So, I am sticking to my decision to Not Install this library until I change my perception about it. So far, I think it is a Big Failure for VSL. and a waste of my $$$ , Unless I'm proven wrong.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

eli0s

So, I am sticking to my decision to Not Install this library until I change my perception about it. So far, I think it is a Big Failure for VSL. and a waste of my $$$ , Unless I'm proven wrong.
I don't understand your persistence on this. Since you've already bought the library, you have nothing to loose if you try out by your self. You would have had very much concluded on your own if you like it by now, and if it can fit to your workflow, and these would have been safe conclusions, because it doesn't matter if Guy Bacos or anyone else provide you a nice demo, there are people that can produce amazing results with almost anything. What's important is what can you create with this library! And the best way to really know is to roll up your sleeves and try it out!!!

OP
muziksculp

muziksculp

I don't understand your persistence on this. Since you've already bought the library, you have nothing to loose if you try out by your self. You would have had very much concluded on your own if you like it by now, and if it can fit to your workflow, and these would have been safe conclusions, because it doesn't matter if Guy Bacos or anyone else provide you a nice demo, there are people that can produce amazing results with almost anything. What's important is what can you create with this library! And the best way to really know is to roll up your sleeves and try it out!!!
I totally understand your point, and it is valid, but in this case, I am sticking to my decision to wait until I hear a single great sounding demo, before installing it. as I said, I really can't believe there is not a single demo that impressed me so far. So, it's not looking good, and nothing is encouraging me to waste my time installing this library (yet).

Top Bottom