What's new

VSL Synchron Strings I Announced (Nov. Release)

OP
muziksculp

muziksculp

Hi,

VSL should release their Synchron Player for Synchron Strings 1 when it is finally ready, I don't think the next week promises from Paul are going to be taken seriously at this point (at least I'm not taking any of his promises seriously).

Here is what I would expect to see from Synchron Strings 1's Synchron Player when it is finally released :

1. It runs very efficiently, bug free, and is super stable.

2. It offers a major improvement to the Legato functionality compared to the way it worked in VI-Pro2. (If this is not offered by the new Synchron Player, there will be a lot of unhappy VSL customers).

3. It offers major workflow improvements, that will speed up production, and customization of this library.

4. I expect VSL to post new Video Tutorials showing how the new Legato Functionality that the Synchron Player offers sound, and how to use it properly.

5. I expect VSL to post a healthy number of new, and diverse style audio demos of Synchron Strings 1 done using the new Synchron Player.

Again, I think the bottom line is that we have been waiting far too long, and I personally don't mind waiting as long as it takes for all of the above points to be fulfilled by VSL.

imho. Rushing the release at this point makes no sense. Having lots of Patience, and the super long waiting time is part of the process. Unfortunately, this is all due to VSL releasing a product before it is ready. I hope they learned a good lesson from this experience, I also feel this is a good lesson for us, to think twice, and three times, before purchasing a product from VSL if it is not yet ready, and finally released, and delivers what it promises.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Last edited:

Jimmy Hellfire

2. It offers a major improvement to the Legato functionality compared to the way it worked in VI-Pro2. (If this is not offered by the new Synchron Player, there will be a lot of unhappy VSL customers).
Still not sure what exactly everyone's expecting here.

The Synchron Player couldn't possibly improve the legato so extensively. In which way could some clever scripting help in this case? There's a reason why people place so much value in "true legato". Generally people prefer recorded transitions to scripted legato. There are reasons for that. From that perspective, it seems odd to me that a piece of software is now supposed to salvage what is supposed to be VSLs new flagship string product.

Even if the Player does something to the legato - would it be just scripting trickery and ultimately a band-aid solution?

I'm also still not quite sure why everyone made up their minds that this is the worst legato since WW2. Compare the Synchron Strings soft legato with the Orchestral Strings legato. It's very similar. The SyS one is a little bit nicer - in a similar way the Appassionata legato was a bit better than the Orchestral Strings one. I don't have Dimension Strings - perhaps their legato was on a whole different level and this is where the disappointment over SyS comes from. But as a user of previous VSL String libraries (Chamber, Orchestral, Appassionata), I can't really tell why the SyS one is suddenly the worst thing that could have possibly happened when in fact it's actually quite similar to what VSL was always doing. Maybe expectations have just shifted since the old VSL times?

If VSL was really to do something about the legato in its current form, I believe re-editing or possibly re-recording would have to be done. I'm not an expert when it comes to editing or scripting by no means, but to my ears it sounds as if they cut into the transition samples quite aggresively, compared to legato patches of some other companies' libraries, and the sustain part is kind of tacked onto that, and the attack is very immediate.

When I compare SyS legato to some of the other string libraries I have - for example Cinematic Studio Strings - then what I'm noticing is that the latter for example doesn't even really have a "standard" legato patch. Every and any legato in CSS is actually VERY slurred, with a very noticeable delay, even with the "classic" patch. And maybe this is what a lot of people kind of came to expect from string libraries - super-slurred playing that's almost portamento.

Hollywood Strings is much more comparable to VSL legato and functions in a similar fashion - the transition samples are separate from the sustain portion - but the transition just seems to be longer, and the crossfade is smoother, so that it doesn't produce that weird bump that SyS has that feels and sounds a little bit like playing some synth keyboard patch.

Spitfire Chamber Strings don't have that excessive slur built in, but the transition is audibly delayed and not that immediate as in SyS, and the sustaining note has a nice smoth arc to it, which is why it feels smoother and natural when playing. I'm not even sure if it's really been performed that way or if the Performance Legato patch was scripted in way that the followup note comes with a slight delay and some kind of smooth crossfade.

But anyways, that's what I'm hearing. Maybe this is something VSL could re-script in the Synchron Player - leave a bit more of the legato transition in, delay or crossfade into the sustain portion a little more laid back. Don't know. But I wouldn't expect wonders. If the recordings are already the way they are, I'm not sure if there's a way for VSL to make people happy without recording stuff again and mimicking what other popular string libraries are doing because apparently that's what people want.

Sovereign

I'm not an expert when it comes to editing or scripting by no means, but to my ears it sounds as if they cut into the transition samples quite aggresively, compared to legato patches of some other companies' libraries, and the sustain part is kind of tacked onto that, and the attack is very immediate.
Yes, this. This is fixable depending on how much of the transition remains in the data set. They could add a legato sample start slider like Jaeger has, which lets the user set the sample starting point.

jamwerks

One thing is the legato scripting and another is the player. I wouldn't expect the new player to effect how the legato sounds, unless there's some funky voodoo going on...

OP
muziksculp

muziksculp

One thing is the legato scripting and another is the player. I wouldn't expect the new player to effect how the legato sounds, unless there's some funky voodoo going on...
I have a feeling that VSL are doing more than just trying to fix a few last bugs they encountered, as far as the new Synchron Strings 1 Player is concerned. Again, I'm just guessing.

Salorom

I sincerely hope they go that route and take as much time as they need. I can wait a few more months if VSL is busy fixing what still sounds like a very promising library.

Eptesicus

If VSL was really to do something about the legato in its current form, I believe re-editing or possibly re-recording would have to be done. I'm not an expert when it comes to editing or scripting by no means, but to my ears it sounds as if they cut into the transition samples quite aggresively, compared to legato patches of some other companies' libraries, and the sustain part is kind of tacked onto that, and the attack is very immediate.
Absolutely this. If you listen to the non soft legato patches especially, you can hear that pretty much the whole attack is left on the start of each note, even after a transition making it not sound like legato at all.

Jimmy Hellfire

I've been experimenting with trying to smooth out the attack of the sustained note after the legato transition in VI Pro in order to create a more likeable legato sound and feel.
This is what I've been doing:

• "Advanced" tab, again to "Advanced" view (next to Mixer, Voice, Edit, Stretch).
  • Set Start offset mode to legato - obviously, affecting only the note that's being transitioned to, not the starting note of a phrase.
  • Start offset set to 1 ms - This actually cuts into the transition sample, which is the opposite of what I want. But the setting needs to be at least 1 ms for the next parameter to do anything.
  • Start offset attack - this adds a crossfade to the note that's being transitioned into. Which in theory should be what I'm looking for, because it kills the immediate, bumpy attack of the sustained sample that causes the disconnected keyboard-y sound. For the soft legato patch, I set this to a very high value, like 365 ms.
Now if you set the global "start" scaler to max, the effect becomes audible. I think it actually sounds quite workable. I wish there was a way to stretch the transition samples themselves a bit and make them a little louder.

But yeah, have fun doing this with all the legato patches in all mic positions for all sections, and also their crossfade ressource patches in order to also be able to transition from novib to vib ...

OP
muziksculp

muziksculp

@Jimmy Hellfire

Thanks for the helpful feedback.

I seriously have no interest in running Synchron Stirngs 1 , or any Synchron based library in VI-Pro 2. That's why I didn't even bother with downloading Synchron Strings 1 (Full Version).

They simply were not developed to work with in VI-Pro 2. So... Let's hope the new Synchron Strings 1 Player will deliver a great workflow, and improve the legato functionality.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

Last edited:
Top Bottom