VSL Synchron Strings I Announced (Nov. Release)

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by muziksculp, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Sovereign

Sovereign Senior Member

May 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    Coming in December. :roflmao:

2. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    That's quite SOON ;)

3. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Teasing aside, I am happy to see VSL/Paul post some feedback on the status of the Synchron Strings Player's progress. It was about time they said something.

All we can do now is wait, and wait more... until they have it ready for release, be it in May or later.

4. Eptesicus

Eptesicus Senior Member

Jan 8, 2017
    UK
    Do you think re-recording the legato stuff would be an option they would consider?

If this is supposed to be their flagship new series of products, how can they expect people to be using the Synchron series as their main orchestra when the legato strings just do not sound right? The brass and woodwind might end up being brilliant, but if you want a coherent sounding orchestra, recorded in the same hall you won't be able to use the Synchron series because the strings will ruin it.

Commercially i don't see how ignoring the complaints about the legato is in any way in their favour. Personally i think it needs to be addressed. I have no doubt Paul himself knows full well something is not right with it, so i don't see what pretending that it sounds great does. We are all musicians and have ears so we know it doesn't sound right.

5. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Maybe Paul/VSL will reply to your post on the VSL forum, (noticed you posting this question there), to provide more feedback on this very important detail.

6. Eptesicus

Eptesicus Senior Member

Jan 8, 2017
    UK
    I hope so. I know the post is a bit harsh, but it is the truth and i think just pretending that it sounds great will not help them in the long run.

I was prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt, but the more i play with the full library now, the more i can see that the legato is unworkable.

7. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Well, if they don't reply/ignore your post, you know where they are heading.

8. Pixelpoet1985

Pixelpoet1985 Senior Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I recently bought Symphony Series Strings and for me the legato sounds similar to Synchron Strings. I also tested Chris Hein String Ensemble via Best Service and deactivated the scripted legato. For me the recorded legato sounds similar, too. It's just a legato without a pronounced slur or portamento-like transition. The total opposite is, for example, Hollywood Strings, Cinematic Studio Strings or even the older VSL strings.

Of course, I'm hoping to see some improvements with Synchron Player. But I'm not sure whether there is a problem with the legato at all. It's just a different kind of legato (= a bowed one?). But I think you guys are right with your opinions (= the legato is unworkable), because I am really a beginner when it comes to sample libraries and own just a few to make a statement to what a proper legato has to sound like.

9. Pixelpoet1985

Pixelpoet1985 Senior Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Casiquire likes this.
  10. Tfis

Tfis Senior Member

Jan 13, 2016
    I took their VSL course, 2 years (+/-) ago.

11. Sovereign

Sovereign Senior Member

May 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    On its own that demo is not bad, but it certainly is not a lush sound. As someone else mentioned, I actually also think their older string products sound better.

12. Leo

Leo Senior Member

Oct 14, 2011
    its true magic, when i listen I returned back 10-12 years in time :rofl: vsl bring me memories of youth, thnx.

13. romantic

romantic Senior Member

Aug 27, 2010
    So now there is the next library released, and still no Synchron String Player for us? Or at least a short "we still have to do minimal fine tuning and will release it next week"?
    I really hope it is just a question of hours now - so I will try to be optimistic again and wait for tuesday (monday is public holiday in vienna)

14. Jimmy Hellfire

Jimmy Hellfire Senior Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    Paul from VSL posted this in the FX Strings release thread:
    "SYNCHRON STRINGS I UPDATE: The content for Synchron Strings I is currently in preparation for release and we are confident that we can add the Synchron Strings I download files very soon."

The way I understand this, they apparently need to provide some files for SyS in order for the lib to be ran in the Synchron Player, and are in the process of preparing them. I assume they will provide a download for the Player as soon as these files are ready. Of course, nobody knows at this point what "very soon" in regards to Synchron Strings actually means. :)

romantic likes this.
  15. Salorom

Salorom Active Member

Jan 8, 2018
    I just posted the same reply in the Sy FX S 1 thread as the question was raised there too:

I am thinking the reason we see Sy FX S 1 come with the new player while those who bought SyS 1 are still left waiting might be good news.

The fact that the Yamaha CFX and Sy FX S 1 both came with the Synchron player leads me to believe the software part has now been ready for some time, and VSL didn’t release it for strategic reasons.

Maybe they did go with new recordings for SyS 1 and are now implementing them, hence the long delay. Then they have their customers download the additional content as a mere compatibility update for the Synchron player, so it doesn’t look like they’ve spent that much time actually fixing the library. And when the legato sounds so nice at last everyone thinks the player was definitely the missing piece.

This is all pure speculation but I do hope I’m right. I’d rather have it that way than being stuck with both a library that is half broken + a slap in my face as a customer.

Casiquire likes this.
  16. Eptesicus

Eptesicus Senior Member

Jan 8, 2017
    UK
    I admire your optimism, but i am not getting my hopes up for re-recorded legato at this stage. Even though i absolutely think that is what needs to be done.

17. Jimmy Hellfire

Jimmy Hellfire Senior Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
  18. Salorom

Salorom Active Member

Jan 8, 2018
  19. HBen

HBen Senior Member

Apr 1, 2018
    Yes, that's because you will need brand-new sample content that is packed in a new format. We are just preparing that data for you.

So there will be another download for Synchron Strings I and Synchron Percussion I, which will work with the new Synchron Player.

And once this sample content is available, you will also have access to the Synchron Player download.
    It looks like that your speculation is correct.

20. Sovereign

Sovereign Senior Member

May 7, 2005
    Netherlands
    Well cool, can only applaud additional content.