1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VSL Synchron Strings I Announced (Nov. Release)

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by muziksculp, Oct 11, 2017.

1. synergy543

synergy543 Senior Member

Dec 11, 2004
    The Internets
    Just a footpedal linked to control CC11 and velocity crossfade. So its really a combination of volume and velocity crossfade.

One thing that's very useful to do (which I didn't in this case) is to go in and adjust the curve that controls the CCs. This adds a tremendous amount of control. And you can have different curves for velocity xfade, filters, etc. A very useful but probably often overlooked feature.

2. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback Christopher.

Sounds great? So a bit less "very weak demos?" :)

Just having fun, no problem. I'll deal with the WW after, but about your 1st violins suggestion, what is funny is what I added compared to the previous mix (mix 3) is exactly what you proposed here, that missing sound gap should be filled by the violas often playing an octave lower, I fear if I bring the violas up more, the violins may not like it. But I can play around with the balance and see if I can improve this.

The Darris likes this.
  3. The Darris

The Darris Senior Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Compared to what VSL has published "officially"?? Hell yeah!! The weak parts I'm mentioning are what I think are library limitations, not composer/mock up capabilities. I think balancing is pretty much all you can do at this point. I've been enjoying hearing every iteration of your composition. Keep it up!!

Guy Bacos likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hi Guy,

This version (Mix 4), Sounds richer, and fuller with the Legato Violas added.

Hopefully VSL will have the Basses ready this month, and the Synchron Player during April.

Thanks,
    Muziksculp

Guy Bacos likes this.
  5. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Will have a new mix in 2 min.

6. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    The Darris and muziksculp like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Mix 5 sounds great as well. Since this is a relatively long track, it's hard to hear the difference between the mixes right away.

What's changed in mix 5 compared to mix 4 ?

8. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    1st violins are softer and brought up the lower mids in general EQ.

Until I got the full content of the violas I was focusing a lot on the violins, so some adjustment with the balance needed.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  9. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Thanks, I will listen to both mixes 4 & 5 carefully to notice the difference.

10. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    ka00, novaburst and AlexanderSchiborr like this.
  11. Eloy

Eloy Active Member

Jan 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
  12. The Darris

The Darris Senior Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Balance is a lot better. I don't really have anything else to critique so I will sit back and enjoy any future iteration you share. :)

-C

13. novaburst

novaburst Senior Member

Dec 21, 2015
    +1

14. tmhuud

tmhuud Brown Belt

Nov 19, 2006
    Hollywood
    Bravo as usual my friend!

15. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Not related to any specific Strings Library, but a general observation I thought of mentioning here.

There is a magical interaction between the violins, and the rest of the supporting lower voices (Violas, Cellos and Basses) depending on how they are arranged/voiced the timbre and character of the violins changes.

This imho. is not just dependent on the relative volume of the various sections, but also the voicing/orchestration that one puts in motion, I find the lower and mid frequencies i.e. Basses Violas, and Cellos are very important to give a more soothing timbre to the way the Violins sound in a mix, I'm guessing some of it is just pure balancing of the frequency range, and some of it might be the interaction and masking of some frequencies by other voices, which results in some interesting sonic results.

So.. part of it is engineering the mix to taste, the other part is pure orchestration, and good voicing of the chordal elements of the strings to produce a nice sounding balance between high-mid-low frequencies of the string ensemble.

Casiquire likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Hi,

A heads up ...Today March 13th, VSL Synchron Strings sample content is now complete !

This is great news. Looking forward to the release of Synchron Player.

Cheers,
    Muziksculp

Casiquire, novaburst and C-Wave like this.
  17. Celador

Celador Active Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Hannover
    Basses are complete!

Edit: I was late ;).

Casiquire and novaburst like this.
  18. novaburst

novaburst Senior Member

Dec 21, 2015
    VSL working very hard very very busy will they celebrate now or wait for the new player.

19. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Wait for the new player :geek:

Casiquire likes this.
  20. C-Wave

C-Wave Senior Member

Feb 27, 2016
    I don't understand why the new Strings (V5) still has empty slots?