1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VSL Synchron Strings I Announced (Nov. Release)

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by muziksculp, Oct 11, 2017.

1. ctsai89

ctsai89 Poem of Ecstasy

Oct 4, 2016
    You've got good taste in music (imo) I wouldn't clash you anywhere.

2. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Here is an interesting video showing Synchron Strings, hosted by VE-Pro6, midi triggered via Notion 6.

Zoot_Rollo likes this.
  3. Jimmy Hellfire

Jimmy Hellfire Senior Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    That's exactly how it sounds. This will never work.

4. Pixelpoet1985

Pixelpoet1985 Senior Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Some good news on the Violin update: "The Library Update for the First Violins contains a mini bug-fix regarding repeated notes in the soft legato patches of the dynamic matrices."

Some bad news on the Synchron Player: "We are currently testing and optimizing Synchron Player and will be posting a video as soon as we are happy with the results of our tweaks. I don't think that this video will be available before mid of March."

March? Really? :(

Johann F. likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I'm guessing you mean the Notion 6 midi Performance sounds too mechanical/robotic.

But imho. the actual Synchron Strings sounds/timbre are pretty good to my ears.

6. Jimmy Hellfire

Jimmy Hellfire Senior Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Austria
    The SyS sound is impeccable. But I always wondered why people attempted sample library playback through notation software. I get that not everyone seems themselves as audio production people, but with sample libraries, there's simply no way around it.

Saxer likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    muziksculp

muziksculp Senior Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah maybe It is just easier to copy/input notes from music manuscripts to music notation programs, like finale, notion, ..etc. than into a normal DAW. at the price of it sounding lifeless and very robotic as far as the midi performance goes.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  8. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    Unfortunately there are great, good, average, bad and terrible examples of any library.

9. C-Wave

C-Wave Senior Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Finally Westlake Pro just uploaded a decent edit of the NAMM 2018 presentation, directly from Paul’s computer:
    edit: the videos related to Synchron Player are parts 4 to 9.

10. Casiquire

Casiquire Senior Member

May 7, 2013
  11. holywilly

holywilly Senior Member

Apr 7, 2012
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I really like the new Synchron Player, looks like the player has more efficient way to put articulations & mic positions altogether!

Zoot_Rollo and Casiquire like this.
  12. star.keys

star.keys Senior Member

May 7, 2012
    I recently purchased Synchron Strings 1 from one of the users here and just wanted to share my thoughts. If I would have read this thread earlier, I would have got easily distracted by some comments here, however I'm glad that I did't do that. I've got most other leading Strings libraries on the planet and I am now absolutely thrilled to own Synchron Strings 1 for its consistency, versatily, smooth and an overall sound. Just bought an upgrade to Full library and downloading. VSL has delivered a top class product here. Close mic is as dry as it could get. Other mics can be as lush and ambient as they could get. This library has got very clean, smooth and consistent sound and offers a very versatile sound that can be tweaked (choose the right mix of mics) to the context. Just my thoughts, no intention to fire up a debate here.

Zoot_Rollo, Cartoon, C-Wave and 6 others like this.
  13. meradium

meradium Senior Member

Dec 29, 2013
    If you are talking about shorts: yes, sounds like it. Otherwise I am really wondering what is the difference from a good synth. I keep on coming back to it because I like the idea of having the consistency and depth portrayed in the VSL package. For their percussion its seems to work. Just not for the strings. So sad to see (hear). But then again: good for my wallet....

Sovereign likes this.
  14. novaburst

novaburst Senior Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Great catch

Sorry @meradium lush does not sound like shorts to me but what ever.

15. Pixelpoet1985

Pixelpoet1985 Senior Member

Dec 23, 2017
    Yes, it's all about the mix! Usually, I used the room-mix preset (like maybe most of us?), but today I played with the close ones. And voilà: here we have the "better" legatos and way more vibrato we are used to have in the other dry libraries. It comes pretty close to them, in my opinion. Much better transitions, less separated. So, I made my own mix and continue to use it with prominent close mics. I think that's the key.

16. novaburst

novaburst Senior Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Loading all the mic positions in VEpro and assigning all on the same track is a great way to check out what mics blend together to your satisfaction.

I wonder if the new player can offer this but stream lined.

17. Tfis

Tfis Senior Member

Jan 13, 2016
    I made the decision to wait until the synchron player will be released before I integrate the library into my template.
    I build all my VIPRO matrices from scratch, keyswitches and expression maps, too, which takes some time.

18. Eptesicus

Eptesicus Senior Member

Jan 8, 2017
    UK
    This. I'm not putting any time into it until the rest of the legato sections and player are out.

19. Vadium

Vadium Senior Member

Jul 21, 2017
    For legato notes I will use Hollywood Strings - timbre of these 2 libraries are almost identical)

Attached Files:

20. Mike Greene

Mike Greene Administrator

Critz, criticisms are fine, but you're being an a-hole here. Insulting members is not acceptable.

I've deleted the post I quoted, as well as the followup reactions. Maybe over-moderation on my part, and VSL did specifically say they didn't want me to edit their threads, but from a forum perspective, I don't think most people want to check Latest Posts, only to see stuff like this.