What's new

VSL Synchron Stirngs

José Herring

Lost in Cyberspace
Hello,

Did a brief search. Didn't find much in the forum on these. I'm sure they've been discussed, so forgive if it is beating a dead horse.

Anybody have any experience with Synchron strings? Some demos sound good but others not so good to my ears.

Let me know your experiences or perhaps just point to where they've been discussed.

Thx

They were widely panned in here upon release for their supposed "synthy" sound.
VSL had a massive hype train going before release and failed to deliver on the hyperbole.
I'd also love to hear impressions from owners of Synchron Strings so long after the release.

I have Synchron Strings and used in a couple of projects.
I don't think they have a synthy sound, the flautando and the shorts for me are great, the sound is definitely bright and the quality of the recording is astonishing.
The legato, let's say, is not easy to use, but you can obtain very good result.
I am waiting Synchron Strings II, as Synchron Woodwinds and so on to see where VSL is going.
My impression is that they changed direction, maybe good thing or not for them, but for me VSL always meant classic orchestra and I have lots of the old library and I love them, the woodwinds are still my prefered ones, like Dimension Strings I and II or Dimension Brass (even if Audiobro brass is coming...).
The demos in VSL site are mostly not so good for me.

The Synchron Strings are a very good string library,

I believe it's the first time VSL has gone for Mike positions, so there is a huge space foot print that will not be appreciated by many you really need to like that type of sound if you are going to get them if you're more the traditional type then I would advice you to look else where perhaps CSS will be more suitable.

I would mention that the strings first were developed with the VSL instrument player then after a very long wait the Synchron player was released and in my opinion with very poor resolts I actually got rid of the Synchron player off my system as it just did not give the same results as the instrument player, the instrument player is much more work but the sound and tone are far better than using the Synchron player.

Another thing that I would address is use as many Mike positions as you can as in my opinion just one Mike position doesn't quite cut it

All in all if you like the sound and have patience you can get very pleasing results but minus the Synchron player if anything went wrong the player is the failure.

In my opinion the Synchron line is fantastic, except for the strings, which are very underwhelming in many aspects.

There is a long long thread here about this product.

Hello,
Let me know your experiences or perhaps just point to where they've been discussed.
Here's my opinion, I'll try to be brief. Some of the shorts are nice, some of the longs are nice. Some of the articulations are faked, which is a disappointment. It has the worst legato of all the libraries I've ever tried, despite their claims it is "re-invented". I would never buy it again.

Is my memory playing tricks on me, or wasn’t this thread created weeks ago? I feel like I read exactly this question with exactly these answers, yet the time stamps are all from today. Serious question.

I think this is based on time of usage

Thx. Yes I wasn't really on here 3 weeks ago so I missed that massive discussion. Curious that my search didn't turn up that discussion.

Thx for the replies. Given the demos and the luke warm to negative response on here, I will pass on these.

Last edited:
Haha that was like the hot topic of discussion for months at the end of 2017. My opinion is, they sound fantastic. I love the sound of the room and the tone of the strings. Nothing else sounds quite like it. Unfortunately they don't seem to perform well. The legatos sound non-existent sometimes and they must not be very flexible given the way that nobody seems capable of crafting a nice melody with them.

I think there's a certain depth to the sound that no other library has. However as others have pointed out, it's riddled by strange technical design/decisions, leading to some frustrating workflow and disappointing sounding results. Also sterile sounding at times (long notes, vibrato).

Last edited:
I consider VSL Synchron Strings I a half baked sample library, they need to drastically improve the Legato, It's not going to be fixed by tweaks in the player. But so far VSL has done Zippo about that. :thumbsdown:

Not to mention, where are the other parts of the new Synchron Orchestra ? Synchron Strings II, III, ..etc. and Synchron Brass I, II, ... Synchron Woodwinds I, II, III, .. ? I wonder what's holding them back ?

IMHO. they should give Synchron Orchestra the priority, rather than wasting time Synrhronizing older VI-Pro Libraries. They surely have their priorities messed up.

I ditched Synchron Player for Synchron Strings I, using the VI Pro yields better result in playability (especially legato that everyone's talking about), and I can make preset similar to my other VSL string presets.

I compose my presets use the "MID VELOCITY" samples, it gives me the dynamic rage from p to f, which matches most of the dynamic range of other VSL string libraries, and I can layer Synchron Strings I with my other VSL strings by just copy & paste the MIDI region.

I found out that the MID VELOCITY samples yields smoother velocity transition when using velocity xfade.

Overall I'm very happy with the sound of Synchron Strings I.

Not to mention, where are the other parts of the new Synchron Orchestra ? Synchron Strings II, III, ..etc. and Synchron Brass I, II, ... Synchron Woodwinds I, II, III, .. ? I wonder what's holding them back ?

That's a good question. Why do they waste their time with reverberating (aka synchronizing) their old libraries, recording drumkits, re-packaging the special editions and extending the synchron player with effects?

On the other hand: It seems Synchron Strings has not a lot of fans, so why should one buy Synchron Strings con sord or SS Woodwinds or whatever.

That's a good question. Why do they waste their time with reverberating (aka synchronizing) their old libraries, recording drumkits, re-packaging the special editions and extending the synchron player with effects?

On the other hand: It seems Synchron Strings has not a lot of fans, so why should one buy Synchron Strings con sord or SS Woodwinds or whatever.
They could still 'save' Synchron strings by redoing the legatos and taking clues from other libraries, but judging from the non-response they have no intention to do so. Shame.

Top Bottom