VSL Synchron Steinway D is coming...

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by al_net77, Dec 6, 2018 at 2:36 AM.

1. al_net77

al_net77 Senior Member

Oct 2, 2017
    Italia
    December 6th, 2018
    Synchron Pianos 1.1.1103
    • Added: Support for Steinway D
    • Improved: Performance when releasing sustain pedal
    • Improved: Rare crashes when closing sessions

Yes... :) :)

Cartoon likes this.
  2. Stefan@VSL

[email protected] Member

Apr 23, 2018
    Happy to confirm we just released the Steinway & Sons D-274.
    Over 4,000 samples per key for maximum authenticity, and that's just one of the many key features!
    Happy Holidays from Vienna!

newman, Mason, OleJoergensen and 2 others like this.
  3. Batrawi

Batrawi Senior Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Whaddaf#@$ :faint:! That would require a hard space costing more than a real Steinway..!

4. Cartoon

Cartoon Senior Member

Jan 23, 2018
    • Free hard drive space Standard Library: 117.9 GB (individual microphone data can be removed) so it can be less I guess

5. Gerbil

Gerbil Senior Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Interested. I'd really like to hear some softer una corda demos first though.

6. Salorom

Salorom Senior Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Stunning. Check (and compare) the demos that were also made with the CFX, the sound is gorgeous.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 11:40 AM
  7. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I don't want to sound bias, but I give it a 2 big thumbs up.

8. Olfirf

Olfirf Senior Member

May 11, 2018
    Wow! A good VSL-comeback, I would say! :)
    @Guy: Did you play in the 2 pieces by Nicholas Decrescent from the demos? I found nothing but death metal by googling that name! ;) I was going to look for CDs and maybe sheet music ...

9. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    No, but I wish I did, great playing.

10. Olfirf

Olfirf Senior Member

May 11, 2018
    Indeed! Anyone from VSL? Paul? Could you enlighten us who that guy is? Reminds me of Dave Grusin a little bit.

11. Olfirf

Olfirf Senior Member

May 11, 2018
    But the Ritual fire dance must have been your playing. I love that transcription. Great playing there, too! I just whish, you could have done the first part as well. These long trills are always a challenge for a sampled piano and I would have loved to see how the new VSL Steinway would have coped with them.

12. Guy Bacos

Guy Bacos Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    I imagine someone from VSL will eventually chime in about the mysterious artist, I have no idea. Yes, the Ritual Fire Dance is me, the live videos are me, sorry about the carpet...

newman likes this.
  13. CGR

CGR Pianist/Composer/Arranger

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    Really enjoyed hearing & seeing your live playing video demos Guy. Looks like the touch response to dynamics & repetitions is highly expressive and realistic. What controller did you use? BTW . . . I forgive you for the carpet ;)

chasmanian likes this.
  14. Lee Blaske

Lee Blaske Senior Member

Demos of the new D sound really good. A nice contrast to the CFX (which I also really like and use a LOT).

CGR likes this.
  15. Mason

Mason Senior Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Probably a pseudonym.

16. jamwerks

jamwerks Senior Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Steinway sounds great. Quite a bit different than the CFX, very tempting!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 12:01 AM
  17. CGR

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    Interesting video here, showing classical pianist Stefan Mendl's first experience playing it (4th video - LIVE: Stefan Mendl First Contact with a sampled Steinway):

https://www.vsl.co.at/en/Steinway_D#!Videos

Check out that surround sound speaker system though!
    Watch his reaction after the passage he plays starting @ 5:25

18. slobajudge

slobajudge Senior Member

Mar 23, 2016
    Yes, his reaction to this orchestra reverb sound is obviously fantastic, but what worries me is his almost cold reaction when he was playing slow piece from the start where I expect to hear some close resonance and less reverb but no. Eh, time will tell.

19. CGR

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    I thought the same, but given he has very little experience with sampled pianos, that disconnect when the sound is coming from speakers around you (and not feeling the sound vibrations in your fingers & body) can be confusing, and off putting. It's often such a different experience being a player compared to being a listener of your own performances. Quite often I'll play & record with a virtual piano and feel like it's not working, then listen back later and be pleasantly surprised.

As a recorded sound, those first passages he played sounded fantastic to me on my studio monitors. For me, it would be difficult to pick it as not a real acoustic piano performance.

chasmanian and jamwerks like this.
  20. CGR

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    To be fair to VSL, I appreciate them releasing video of what appears to be Stefan's honest reactions, unlike so many over-hyped marketing/promo/teaser videos I've watched of average to poor quality virtual instruments from other developers.

Casiquire, newman, chasmanian and 5 others like this.