What's new

VSL Synchron Series in VI pro or Synchron Player?

VSL Synchron Series in VI pro or Synchron Player?

• VI Pro

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Synchron Player

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

SomeGuy

Which do you find the better overall player for new VSL Synchron series? IMO both have their pros and cons. Synchron was built for multi mics in mind, but its lacking the humanize functionality and overall flexibility of VI Pro. However, multi mic libraries are a PIA to use in VI Pro without the multi mic mixer, and will take a significant investment of time to setup.

So I’m curious to know for those more experienced which player do you prefer using and why?

Which do you find the better overall player for new VSL Synchron series? IMO both have their pros and cons. Synchron was built for multi mics in mind, but its lacking the humanize functionality and overall flexibility of VI Pro. However, multi mic libraries are a PIA to use in VI Pro without the multi mic mixer, and will take a significant investment of time to setup.

So I’m curious to know for those more experienced which player do you prefer using and why?

Humanize functionality got added into Synchron Player. I think going forward Synchron Player is the way to go.

Here is a comparison between the SP and the VI none pro. using Synchron strings

SP Room mix mic, Close mix mic, and some mid mic

VI none pro Room mix mic Close mix mic and some mid mic

Attack is 27, release 83, on both no EQ all bare on first run and default reverb setting on second run.

You will hear quite a difference in comparison, the VI in my opinion has the magic lush that the SP just can not achieve, the VI has depth and grain.

never the less this may not be appealing to some but i just can not over look the magic that is in the VI there for i will be using it over the SP no matter what i do i just can not get the quality in sound that the VI has Vi is perhaps the best player out there it is way more advanced than the player and delivers a knock out sound and tone quality, it is a little tedious to work with over the SP but the results are far more rewarding.

Its not what a player looks like all those pretty colors that make it great, its how it delivers sound, maybe some coders have left the VSL , i dont know but i certainly dont think they should ignore the difference in sound quality and believe they should pay attention to that, as there star Synchron product SS is sounding far better in the VI but of course this is MHO

Synchron Player for anything that has multiple mic positions. VI Pro is just not equipped for that and trying to set up and work with a multi-mic library in it is incredibly tedious and painstaking.

By the way, voodoo magic doesn't exist, only autosuggestion. None of the two players have any bearing on the sound of the samples, and needless to say - they sound the same in either engine.

@Jimmy Hellfire perhaps they do sound the same, what i have showed is every thing on basic settings and you cant tell me it sounds exact in fact you must agree they are worlds apart.
at least admit that is what you are hearing, i have done no tricks i tell you the truth.

On the other hand what ever VSL coders have done with the SP you may need to spend forever and a day to get it to sound as good as VI and your welcome to to try, but i tell you now it will not work unless you have discovered some secret in the SP.

At the very least they should sound a little closer but they don,t the difference is quite telling they are almost like different string library's.

VI Pro is just not equipped for that and trying to set up and work with a multi-mic library in it is incredibly tedious and painstaking.

Quite true accept i am using the none pro version but the same applies, it is quite tedious but once they have been set why change them just save it and pull it up when you want.

Why do you think that when you load SS in SP some EQ are switched on by default, that is because they are trying to get a good sound off the bat.

voodoo magic doesn't exist
Come on @Jimmy Hellfire play the gentleman, what i mean there is a formula put together in the VI that is spot on kind of like thats how its meant to sound,

The Synchron player libraries come with ready-made presets (mic balance, EQ etc.) which were simply made as useful starting points/bread & butter configs for more plug & playability.

I'm sure that if you played the absolute pure samples in Synchron Player and not one of the factory presets, they would sound exactly the same on your machine as well.

The fact that you're the only person ever perpetuating this idea that somehow the Synchron player does something unpleasant to the sound should be indicative enough.

The fact that you're the only person ever perpetuating this idea that somehow the Synchron player does something unpleasant to the sound should be indicative enough.

Perhaps it dont bother users, but your welcome to say what you want, but what you should be doing is giving me an example but i warn you you will not be able to.

The sound that the VI delivers is what i want, and i would like nothing less than for the SP to do the same but it does not,

But hey if your happy with the sound of SP its neither here nor there for you and as i said before the sound does not bother users.

I'm sure that if you played the absolute pure samples in Synchron Player and not one of the factory presets, they would sound exactly the same on your machine as well.

This is a strange one the VI none pro has no EQ and yet it has deepness, the SP has EQ set as default but it can not reach the same depth as VI, so thats really strange

I did my own comparison a few months ago and freed up much-needed disc space by deleting the older VI versions and just keeping the Synchron Player versions. The way they mapped the recordings works much better in Synchron Player, in my view, and I know the player well enough by now that I MUCH prefer it to VI Pro overall. It has really sped up my workflow, and I am much more easily and quickly able to verify what is going on with my templates and recordings.

Last edited:
Reactions: NOX
I can confirm that if you learn both players well enough to really strip them naked, any perceived differences in the two versions of the libraries disappears. But it is not completely trivial to get to that point. There's a lot going on under the covers in both players -- especially Synchron Player.

Synchron Player, in my view, and I know the player well enough by now that i MUCH prefer it to VI Pro overall. It has really sped up my workflow, and I am much more easily and quickly able to verify what is going on with my templates and recordings.

When all is done weather its faster or slower, the listener's can't see what you used they only hear what you used.

So what's your point? When set the same, they sound the same. I am not talking about different settings; I am talking about the workflow when using the same resultant settings. A listener is not going to "hear" a "visual" difference in the GUI's layout.

The sound I want is in VI, as set, leave VI setting, as is give it 33 on attack, and 85 to 87 on release, now get SP to sound the same by doing what ever you want, do two runs one with default reverb, and one with out reverb, then post it,

By the way use Synchron Strings, use 3 or more mic positions, and post it here.

If you can't please don't give me all that tech this and that and under the cover just post the sound because that's all that matters.

Please use Synchron Strings, not the others only Synchron Strings.

OK, good luck, you're on your own. I recommend contacting VSL directly and just asking them if they changed something. They may say yes and that they prefer the new way. Sort of like how some prefer the wow and flutter of cassette tape and others would rather accept the phase issues with MP3's.

It's quite likely that Synchron Strings is an exception as it had some birthing problems; I own but don't yet use that product. It is the other Synchron products that I compared, as those are part of my template already. I haven't gotten around to trying to work Synchron Strings into my template yet, or even my Dimension Strings (though I use Dimension Brass already), but may do so soon, due to their recent additions to that library.

Hay @Mark Schmieder take it easy, just leave it, on my end there is no issue, i use VI, but don't get your self wound up, just leave it and try to stay clear of insults,

Have a nice day.

I didn't make any insults, and I am in fact taking it very easy. Language can be quite a challenge on a forum such as this.

Top Bottom