What's new

VSL - Synchron Piano (out now)

A quick example of the high range while trying to create an intimate, cinematic preset. The "global midi sensitivity" meter is set to -34.8 which helps with the thin feeling of the high range. For this example, the reverb is from Spaces and Lexicon RandomHall.

Thanks Kim for very nice example! Also piano still sounded pretty good even in higher position, Garritan in this case is not so well sounding.

As I see, SY_CFX has quantity of velocity layers close to Vienna Imperial, more than in Garritan and much more than East West pianos. On the pictures you can see a steps for one note repetition from Velocity = 0 to 127, about 3 notes per one velocity value.
Synchron CFX in standard edition has not enough intimate close sound for me (as it exist in Garritan), it has different kinds of far, debarred sound. May be close mics in full edition have more close color?

[AUDIOPLUS=https://vi-control.net/community/attachments/synchron-cfx-velocity-mp3.13371/][/AUDIOPLUS]

Attachments

• EW Pianos Steinway.JPEG
    EW Pianos Steinway.JPEG
    100.4 KB · Views: 51
  • VSL Imperial_.JPEG
    VSL Imperial_.JPEG
    120.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Garritan CFX.JPEG
    Garritan CFX.JPEG
    116.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Synchron CFX.JPEG
    Synchron CFX.JPEG
    118.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Synchron CFX Velocity.mp3
    1.9 MB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Good video. I'm really digging this VP now. It's very flexible and feels alive under the fingers now I've spent time tweaking it.

Nice Jazz demo earlier in the thread, Lee. It showcases it very well.

I might have to upgrade to the full version. I like the sound of the close mic 2 better than close mic 1. I'm not really a fan of the sound of mics recorded very close to the strings and this Youtube video confirms it even more for me.

I'm still waiting for my Vienna Key to arrive (!) so i haven't even tested the standard version yet. Hopefully i can temper that close mic 1 by mixing it with other room mics so i can get the sound i want, that way i won't have to buy the full version. We'll see.

After playing with this for a little while now, I can honestly say that this is the first sampled grand piano that makes me a better pianist because it's so good. This only happens with real instruments. I can just do improv forever.

And you can really shape the piano to whatever style or sound you want, so it's very flexible.

After playing with this for a little while now, I can honestly say that this is the first sampled grand piano that makes me a better pianist because it's so good. This only happens with real instruments. I can just do improv forever.

And you can really shape the piano to whatever style or sound you want, so it's very flexible.

@kimarnesen Just out of curiosity, what changed your mind about this piano? I noticed a few pages back you were somewhat concerned about the upper range being thin/synthetic. Was it just a matter of fiddling with the mics and other settings to shape the sound to your personal preference?

Could anybody, who have a full library, upload same example, played by only close 1 and close 2 mics for compare? (also Mid 1 and Mid2?) I'm not understand, why only presets comparing placed on VSL site.. Why to mix close mic with a room mix? - a close mic already exist in the room mix.. - it is a way to have a phase problems..

@kimarnesen Just out of curiosity, what changed your mind about this piano? I noticed a few pages back you were somewhat concerned about the upper range being thin/synthetic. Was it just a matter of fiddling with the mics and other settings to shape the sound to your personal preference?

Yes, out of the box it sounds thin in the high range but there are ways to change the timbre. Also, the intimate preset makes it sound very digital, so I prefer shaping my own sound and save my own presets. So with the sound of the piano as a basis, the mics and the other settings it’s quite versatile. It’s as if there are many different pianos in one library.

Yes, out of the box it sounds thin in the high range but there are ways to change the timbre. Also, the intimate preset makes it sound very digital, so I prefer shaping my own sound and save my own presets. So with the sound of the piano as a basis, the mics and the other settings it’s quite versatile. It’s as if there are many different pianos in one library.

Glad to hear. Thinking of picking it up this afternoon. Seems it's being universally lauded.

That's music to my ears (if not necessarilly my pocketbook). Which other piano VIs have been your benchmarks of excellence prior to this one? Do you have much experience playing acoustic grands?

That's music to my ears (if not necessarilly my pocketbook). Which other piano VIs have been your benchmarks of excellence prior to this one? Do you have much experience playing acoustic grands?

I'm not a professional concert pianist, but piano has been my instrument. I mainly use it for composing today and nothing beats being alone in a cathedral or a hall with a great grand piano of course, but with this one, I get a bit of the same feeling, except that I don't have any stained glass windows to look at for even more inspiration ;)

As far as I can remember I've had Ravenscroft 275, Production Voices Grand, The Hammersmith, 8Dio Studio Piano, Piano in Blue, The Giant, Cinematic Studio Piano, Galaxy Steinway, Emotional Piano, Spitfire Orchestral Grand, tried some East-West and Native Instruments pianos and I think I've sold some I might have forgotten. So there's a few I haven't tried, but mainly because of weaknesses revealed from their demos. I've been disappointed by all the ones mentioned here by the way, probably because I mercilessly compare them to a real one ;)

By the way, the Woodchester Piano is gorgeous, but not for any style.

Could anybody, who have a full library, upload same example, played by only close 1 and close 2 mics for compare?
Yeah - I have the standard and am also interested in how the close 1 and 2 compare - I like the sound of 2 from what you can hear on their walkthrough video.

I'm not a professional concert pianist, but piano has been my instrument. I mainly use it for composing today and nothing beats being alone in a cathedral or a hall with a great grand piano of course, but with this one, I get a bit of the same feeling, except that I don't have any stained glass windows to look at for even more inspiration ;)

As far as I can remember I've had Ravenscroft 275, Production Voices Grand, The Hammersmith, 8Dio Studio Piano, Piano in Blue, The Giant, Cinematic Studio Piano, Galaxy Steinway, Emotional Piano, Spitfire Orchestral Grand, tried some East-West and Native Instruments pianos and I think I've sold some I might have forgotten. So there's a few I haven't tried, but mainly because of weaknesses revealed from their demos. I've been disappointed by all the ones mentioned here by the way, probably because I mercilessly compare them to a real one ;)

By the way, the Woodchester Piano is gorgeous, but not for any style.

Damn! You, plus the demos and walkthrough, are making it hard for me to resist. I'm a VSL fanboy, even without the pianos.

Huh, I remember when this thread started with that demo in mono .... . Now after listening to the demos and the walk through I have to say that I am now very impressed by the sound and options. Very cool and good!

Damn! You, plus the demos and walkthrough, are making it hard for me to resist. I'm a VSL fanboy, even without the pianos.

I know the feeling :) But everyone has different taste, so I can only give you my experience with it, and can't say you gonna love it.

Top Bottom