1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VSL - Synchron Piano (out now)

Discussion in 'SAMPLE Talk' started by Cartoon, Apr 20, 2018.

1. keepitsimple

keepitsimple Senior Member

May 8, 2017
    Received my Vienna Key today and finally sat down and played my standard version.

I have to say that my impressions are mixed at the moment mainly due to my personal tastes and not in fault of the piano itself.

If i would describe this piano in 3 words, it would be: Tangy, organic, responsive.

- As i expected, Close Mic 1 really brings out that sharp close-to-the-strings sound which i'm not a fan of. If this was another library, i would probably set it aside to join the list of regretted blind purchases but i have to say that this piano is too enjoyable to play to do that.

- I expected the bass to have more power and "attack". Compared to Garritan CFX, it's too buttery.

- Release samples are the best i've heard so far. They bring realism and authenticity to this piano in a way no other piano library has done before.

That's it. Other than that, i'm really liking this piano. Close Mic 2 in the Full library might be what i need but for now i'm gonna experiment more with the mics i have.

2. keepitsimple

May 8, 2017
    I have to say i'm loving this piano.

The release samples are what make it a step ahead of other libraries. I never enjoyed playing soft lyrical melodies as much as i enjoy doing it on this piano and i think that's due largely to those release samples.

After experimenting for couple days, i decided not to touch the velocity sensitivity anymore. Setting it to negative values makes the bass buttery and it loses definition, which is a big NO for me. Leaving it at 0 works best for me.

Here's a little lively short jam i did to test how the bass reacts to the type of music i play: https://instaud.io/2jdx

newman, SGordB and Jonas Hallstrom like this.
  3. CGR

CGR Pianist/Composer/Arranger

Jan 14, 2016
    Australia
    Wow - this piano has 'bite'! Good to hear it in something other than a classical setting. Nice chops too!

SGordB and keepitsimple like this.
  4. SGordB

SGordB Senior Member

Agree with CGR. It delivers the crunchy goodness. Close Mic 1, right?

5. keepitsimple

May 8, 2017
    Yes mostly. It's "Player room mix" preset + a touch of the Close 2 mic (volume slider at -10.9). Too much of the close 2 mic can cause clipping no matter how much i temper down the other mics. It's very "fatty" that close 2 mic.

SGordB likes this.
  6. C-Wave

C-Wave Senior Member

Feb 27, 2016
    Update 1.0750 released today.

good likes this.
  7. good

good Active Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Thank you for the information.
    I checked their change log and it said,

• Added: "Release Extension" algorithm and parameters (EDIT View)
    • Added: "Release Sample level" parameter (EDIT View)
    • Fixed: Folder selection bug in library installer
    • Fixed: Occasional crashes on plug-in insert

Although I have not yet adjusted these parameters, it is apparent that they have given feedback on the Release issue. Great.