What's new

VSL Synchron Percussion III

And then, I got into "SY-4U", a demo by Johannes Vogel comparing the Standard and the Full versions of Synchron Percussion I.

It's a great piece, composed thinking to the qualities of the library. Long metal resonances, movement of membrane passages in the space, protracted response of the room to rolls and strokes.

Here, dimension, placement, and resonance from the farthest points of the room are very evident. It's not just an added quality, but the pure essence of the music.

Sigh. In the end, I'll have to get at least the core of the library in full version. Not because I need it, but because I know that with it I can play at the boundaries of the silence, as I like to do.

So, it will probably be the full version of Synchron Percussion I, that is the indispensable core of the group. It will also be the full version of Timpani II, because low-volume rolls with soft mallets are a joy to listen to.

I will probably only get the standard version of the gongs, even if the smaller tam-tam in the same packet could convince me to go full. And I think the marimba can be had in the standard version, since it's an instrument I like to point the focus on and have in the foreground, and has a short sustain.

Paolo

Last edited:
Vibraphone and Marimba: my impression is that the new marimba is superior to the old VI one. Not so sure about the vibraphone, very beautiful in the new version, but not less beautiful in the old VI collection.

Which are your findings and impressions?

Paolo

Last edited:
Haven't tried Percussion 3 yet but I know that celesta, glock, cymbals are much more beautiful in Synchron Percussion than my Synchronized SE1 versions though they are useful too)

much more beautiful in Synchron Percussion than my Synchronized SE1 versions though they are useful too)
The SE version is however just a couple articulations from the abundance of the full version. I don't know in this particular case, but maybe velocity layers and sampled notes have been reduced as in the other SE instruments.

The full version is an incredibly nuanced instrument.

Paolo

The SE version is however just a couple articulations from the abundance of the full version. I don't know in this particular case, but maybe velocity layers and sampled notes have been reduced as in the other SE instruments.

The full version is an incredibly nuanced instrument.

Paolo

Yes, probably!

I'm starting to think to this purchase in a different way. Since the beginning of the promo I've considered how much I could save in purchasing only some pieces of the collection. Now, I'm thinking to it as a long-term investment.

The VI series has samples dating back to the early 2000s. They have been constantly upgraded, with favorable upgrade prices for the old owners. I've entered the VSL world only at the end of 2016, but I've already been able to upgrade the software and the libraries at costs that I found fair.

People who did the initial spending during the early 2000s have those sounds now still working in a modern revision and modern software. Not a rewrapping, but an actualization, making them modern again. A solid diesel engine, actualized with modern injectors, filters, bio-fuels, maybe a conversion to natural gas.

The initial investment for the VI series has been very high. The one for the Synchron series is also going to be an important one. But for how long should it be mortgaged? How long will it be, before the next generation will happen? How much will it cost to me per-year?

So, maybe the full collection is a no nonsense investment, that will last for several years to come.

And if I decide to switch to synthesizers – the onboard DSP of Synchron Player will also provide those artificial sounds!

Paolo

(Yes, you are entitled to recycle my justifications with your partner…)

Last edited:
Sounds great! I have some of the percussion through a couple of BBO releases. Almost everything is perfect.

I want the entire bundle in an "on my SSDs" context.

the vsl site say :
The ensemble performances of Synchron Percussion III are also included in the Big Bang Orchestra Packs Dorado (Percussion Ensembles), Eridanus (Percussion Ensemble Riffs), and Fornax (Pitched Percussion Ensembles).

i suppose i have to understand the reverse thing, like we can read on kvr site:
The library contains the powerful ensembles of Vienna's Big Bang Orchestra packs Dorado, Eridanus and Fornax.

my question: Are all the content (samples, midi files etc...) of dorado eridanus and fornax included in percussion III?

Last edited:
That's exactly what I think and thought.

That's exactly what I did.
Well, I have always found in life it is better to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.....

I have had a particularly good month so have upgraded the whole shebang to the full libraries. It's a lot of disk space, but I am trying the instruments as I download them, and it just gives it that extra 5% that makes all the difference.....

Last edited:
Vibraphone and Marimba: my impression is that the new marimba is superior to the old VI one. Not so sure about the vibraphone, very beautiful in the new version, but not less beautiful in the old VI collection.

Which are your findings and impressions?

Paolo
The vibes and marimba took a bit of practice, like all Synchron stuff, but once I had them mastered, they became my only choice anymore! Having said that, I still have a bit of trouble getting the full range with the marimba, just like every other marimba library, but now that I own one, these are just placeholder tracks, meant to be as good as they can be until I mic up the real thing.

I own a lot of chromatic percussion libs. Synchron Marimba has by far the most dynamic range and articulateness of any of them; the same with the vibes. But as any player knows, it is common to switch mallets by range, context, material, instrumentation, etc. I have a gazillion mallets for mine! Most libraries offer very little in this regard, and Synchron's soft mallets are too soft so I don't yet use them. I can make the hard mallets work by being careful about dynamics, but the lower register can get wooly. Unfortunately, that's also true of every other marimba library, except Frank Ricotti.

Top Bottom