What's new

SYNCHRON-ized Woodwinds - NEW: Free Expansion 2

I own all VSL woodwinds instruments, which are basically a FULL library, and after the upgrade they will descent to Standard Library:) hmmm... and then we will need to purchase another new update for the full lib's version again?

I own all VSL woodwinds instruments, which are basically a FULL library, and after the upgrade they will descent to Standard Library:) hmmm... and then we will need to purchase another new update for the full lib's version again?

The SYNCHRON-ized version has also samples from the full libraries (e.g. performance trills built in the fast legatos which are triggered automatically by your playing speed).

It's just an affordable, stripped-down version with the most commonly used articulations. I think this package is a great deal for (new) users.

Last edited:
@Ben: could you explain how the legatos can have more velocity layers than the full version on VIpro? did you record additional ones or were not all velocity layers included back then?

The sustains always had more velocity layers, and these were used for the re-edited legatos. The (fewer) legatos transitions had been matched to these sustains. This was also done for the non-vibrato legatos.

Going to cost me around £ 130 to upgrade form the special editions. Tempting - but I don't really need it...

(But since when has that stopped anyone from round these parts.)

Hmmmmm

Going to cost me around £ 130 to upgrade form the special editions. Tempting - but I don't really need it...

(But since when has that stopped anyone from round these parts.)

Hmmmmm
Same here. I'd like to hear more of a comparison, because I'm quite happy with the Wooodwinds like they are.

Must say the fact that there's no detailed comparison video showing all the new features (and sounds) makes me think VSL isn't that confident about these "Synchronizations".

Come on man. Ben from VSL told you just yesterday in this very thread that they needed some time to put out a more detailed walkthrough. How urgent can it be?
They haven't done a comparative video (new vs old) for any of the new Synchronized versions afaik. Imo, if they think these are so much better sound-wise and performance wise, they would have done lots of communication in that direction. Maybe the Woodwinds will be different?

Agreed.. I am so pissed on so many levels:
- I have to pay again for a product I already have? OK already bad idea! but again and again that's too much VSL... Orchestral Tools already mentioned they won't make you pay to play the same instrument you already purchased on Kontakt on their new upcoming player! and VSL, I know what I will get for this post, so please don't do the same instruments from scratch again! just convert to the new player.. happy with the original version; just want them on Synchron player!
- Now they are are probably going to make you pay yet again, because hey we have some interes. I just want my instruments back on Synchron player, with so many instruments missing: Alto Flute, Clarinet Eb, and several instruments from Special Woodwinds, etc.. this is not an upgrade, it is really a downgrade.
Edit: I put all my VSL instruments on the Classified for sale! That's it for me!

Last edited:
They haven't done a comparative video (new vs old) for any of the new Synchronized versions afaik. Imo, if they think these are so much better sound-wise and performance wise, they would have done lots of communication in that direction. Maybe the Woodwinds will be different?

That's your own interpretation. I wouldn't have assumed that the only way for them to "prove" that the new library is "better" is to do long 1:1 comparison videos (and basically shoot down the original products that are still available). That seems like some arbitrary thing you came up with.

I would have never even assumed that they're trying to convince you that the synchron-ized version is supposed to retire the old one and that you should be getting it because it's so much better. I think you fundamentally minsunderstood that. These new re-packages are streamlined and particularly interesting for newcomers, intergrate into their new Synchron ecosystem (which is relevant), and are of course also a way to make more money on older products. Not a crime either. If you're already happy with the original libraries and aren't sure if re-bying them is really worth it, then why do it?

These new re-packages are streamlined and particularly interesting for newcomers, intergrate into their new Synchron ecosystem (which is relevant), and are of course also a way to make more money on older products. Not a crime either. If you're already happy with the original libraries and aren't sure if re-bying them is really worth it, then why do it?
Reminds me of many discussions to 8Dio Addagio and Antholoy. And I understand if it confuses owners of current libraries.

Orchestral Tools already mentioned they won't make you pay to play the same instrument you already purchased on Kontakt on their new upcoming player! and VSL, I know what I will get for this post, so please don't do the same instruments from scratch again! just convert to the new player

It's just another option, you don't need to buy it.

You pay "only" for the immense work which was needed for the re-editing. It took them one year (!) to manage the woodwinds.

But I have to confess that I want to have the new samples for the VI libraries, especially more velocity layers for the legatos. For this I am willing to pay, but not the other way round.

Exactly! I would love to pay a few bucks for getting a reworked instrument, if it can be shown that it is worth the fee! But all of these synchronizations don’t seem to be made with owners of the original licenses in mind ... so far, I couldn’t get myself to buy any of them.

But I have to confess that I want to have the new samples for the VI libraries, especially more velocity layers for the legatos. For this I am willing to pay, but not the other way round.
Well what you’re saying makes nore sense.. Instead if i buy this new “upgrade”, then tfor the extra /re-edited samples i have to go to the Synchron version, and for the other instruments i have to go to Vi Pro.. all this to use the same product by the same company.. this doesn’t make sense... better yet, pay extra to get back the other instruments in an upcoming “update”; smart marketing strategy [edited].

Last edited:
My main woodwind library has been VSL SE Winds, but I've been interested in the full winds for wider range and more velocity layers. One thing that drives me crazy with the winds are the sudden transitions between velocity layers, which maybe aren't as bad in the full winds as they are in the SE. I also am not the biggest fan of the VI player and never really felt comfortable with it.

Synchron winds sounds appealing to me as a result but I am wondering if it is possible to get a dry sound that sounds the same as the regular VI-based winds? Also, I would eventually like things like runs and the Clarinet in Eb and Alto Flute etc., so I am wondering if those are going to come in a Synchron add on product after or if they will stay VI only? This will help to determine whether I should get the Synchron winds or the VI winds.

Thanks.

Synchron winds sounds appealing to me as a result but I am wondering if it is possible to get a dry sound that sounds the same as the regular VI-based winds?

Yes, simply turn off the reverbs (convo + algo) in the Synchron Player. These are the same samples then.

One thing that drives me crazy with the winds are the sudden transitions between velocity layers, which maybe aren't as bad in the full winds as they are in the SE.

It's better, but the legatos still have two or three layers in the VI full instruments, not much a difference. The sustains and short notes have more.

The SYNCHRON-ized woodwinds have more layers, and they are very smooth.

Top Bottom