What's new

VSL "Synchron FX Strings I" is coming soon.

Interesting feedback from Paul, I wonder if the content of Synchron Strings 1 has been edited, or added to, for the official release with Synchron Strings 1 Player, to provide more articulations, improvements to the legato functionality, and possibly other refinements that were needed.

Synchron Strings I is again at promotional price for 817 euros, does it mean that something is going to be improved this time?

synchron player. Or we don't lose hope for new material........for syn str 1

Last edited:
It's not a library I need right now. I would have rather seen VSL release their Synchron Strings 1 Player, then VSL Synchron Chamber Strings 1, Synchron Solo Strings 1, ...etc. Also Synchron Brass, Synchron Woodwinds.

I personally don't think there was an urgent need to release a Synchron FX Strings 1 library at this point in time, given that the core of the Synchron Orchestra is missing.

Ok, I'm very, very confused now in terms of Synchron Player. So Synchron Strings FX has Synchron Player already, but people who trusted VSL X months ago are still waiting? Gotta love those face slaps ;D Hopefully this is the last one...

Well I certainly won't be buying this. I'm a but disappointed that VSL would waste time to make a library in this way, where multiple secions are recorded at once playing pre recorded phrases. As a fan, this is the last thing I want to see them doing - and hope that we never see a similarly recorded fx strings 2.
Traditionally, VSL libraries are about having control of your sections and players - for creating your own sounds.
VSL, please just improve the normal synchron strings and add divisi so that we can make our own fx, or (even better) add articulations and velocity layers to dimension strings. This is a step backwards IMO.

Well I certainly won't be buying this. I'm a but disappointed that VSL would waste time to make a library in this way, where multiple secions are recorded at once playing pre recorded phrases. As a fan, this is the last thing I want to see them doing - and hope that we never see a similarly recorded fx strings 2.
Traditionally, VSL libraries are about having control of your sections and players - for creating your own sounds.
VSL, please just improve the normal synchron strings and add divisi so that we can make our own fx, or (even better) add articulations and velocity layers to dimension strings. This is a step backwards IMO.
+1. At first glance i thought this was the extended articuations.. nah!

Can't agree. Why shouldn't VSL create a FX library that gives you access to sounds and playing techniques that simply aren't possible to create with standard string libraries? It's another tool in the box and they way they did this library is the correct way to go about these kinds of sounds. There is no point in creating separate sections for this kind of stuff, and judging from the possibilities demonstrated in the walkthrough, this library offers tons of ways to be creative with the samples instead of just firing them off as one-shots, or mangling sounds randomly - like many other FX libraries have been doing. I really don't see this criticism as valid.

Now, seeing that they in fact did have the string players in for new sessions does raise questions - why did they not bother to re-record some of the much-criticized stuff from SyS, or record some of the missing articulations for that library instead? That's a whole different discussion, but it doesn't take away from the FX Strings themselves, and I would find it sad and also a bit stupid if it ended up being scoffed at by people because of their frustrations with the previous release.

I'm a sucker for nice FX. But I'll hold.

Honestly - I'm playing the long game here - currently I have the full SPitfire orchestra - but I could see myself going Synchron in 2-3 years once it's complete and a reasonable discount hits.

But I like some of the FX and their sound from the walkthrough.

The intro discount seems a tad low does it not? I would be wary about them slapping a 25% off on it within a few months as they often do 25% off promotions on certain ranges/products.

Also, are parts tempo synced or is there some kind of arpegiator type thing? The demo track vertigo ( which is a really nice track) on their site sounds like there is.

Last edited:
Here is what Paul said in the forum:
We're very proud to announce Synchron FX Strings I, with a brand-new approach that is the perfect product to get to know the new features of our Synchon Player Software! (...) SYNCHRON STRINGS I UPDATE: The content for Synchron Strings I is currently in preparation for release and we are confident that we can add the Synchron Strings I download files very soon.

So the Player is ready, right?
Well looks like Paul is ignoring the questions asked about this particular statement. Promoting their FX strings while the original is still half-crippled and going out of your way to answer questions is just not a good thing to do IMO.

I am thinking the reason we see this library come with the new player while those who bought SyS 1 are still left waiting might be good news.

The fact that the Yamaha CFX and Sy FX S 1 both came with the Synchron player leads me to believe the software part has now been ready for some time, and VSL didn’t release it for strategic reasons.

Maybe they did go with new recordings for SyS 1 and are now implementing them, hence the long delay. Then they have their customers download the additional content as a mere compatibility update for the Synchron player, so it doesn’t look like they’ve spent that much time actually fixing the library. And when the legato sounds so nice at last everyone thinks the player was definitely the missing piece.

This is all pure speculation but I do hope I’m right. I’d rather have it that way than being stuck with both a library that is half broken + a slap in my face as a customer.

I am thinking the reason we see this library come with the new player while those who bought SyS 1 are still left waiting might be good news.

The fact that the Yamaha CFX and Sy FX S 1 both came with the Synchron player leads me to believe the software part has now been ready for some time, and VSL didn’t release it for strategic reasons.

Maybe they did go with new recordings for SyS 1 and are now implementing them, hence the long delay. Then they have their customers download the additional content as a mere compatibility update for the Synchron player, so it doesn’t look like they’ve spent that much time actually fixing the library. And when the legato sounds so nice at last everyone thinks the player was definitely the missing piece.

This is all pure speculation but I do hope I’m right. I’d rather have it that way than being stuck with both a library that is half broken + a slap in my face as a customer.

Paul stated as below, so it is very promising that we will have a new sample content for SyS I:

Yes, that's because you will need brand-new sample content that is packed in a new format. We are just preparing that data for you.

So there will be another download for Synchron Strings I and Synchron Percussion I, which will work with the new Synchron Player.

And once this sample content is available, you will also have access to the Synchron Player download.

Can't agree. Why shouldn't VSL create a FX library that gives you access to sounds and playing techniques that simply aren't possible to create with standard string libraries? It's another tool in the box and they way they did this library is the correct way to go about these kinds of sounds. There is no point in creating separate sections for this kind of stuff, and judging from the possibilities demonstrated in the walkthrough, this library offers tons of ways to be creative with the samples instead of just firing them off as one-shots, or mangling sounds randomly - like many other FX libraries have been doing. I really don't see this criticism as valid.

Agreed :) There are certain things you can simply not do with individual samples. This gives you the opportunity to do some of these things.

I misheard Paul saying "fifteen" mics as "fifty" mics. My bad.

I also thought I heard the "Hades" variation as "Tardis" in the walkthrough and thought it was a bizarre Dr. Who reference.

I find these Yanni and Laurel situations cropping up more and more in my life. I must be getting older.
From the VSL website,
50 Microphones – 50 Musicians
We spared no effort recording Synchron FX Strings I, using dedicated close microphones for each player of the string orchestra. For easy handling, you have quick access to six stereo down-mixes of these individual close mic signals (Violins 1 & 2, Violas 1 & 2, Cellos, Double Basses). Due to the comprehensive selection of further stereo and room mic arrays you can create your individual string ensemble sound in stereo, 5.1 surround, or even 9.1 immersive audio format, using the player’s full-fledged mixer.

Last edited:
But hey, what about the library itself? I just watched the walkthrough video. This thing sounds truly impressive, and it's surprisingly playable and flexible for an FX library.

Really? Playable? Why, because you can press a button and listen to the sample? Is this playable for you?
Why doesn't it offer a sort of playable glissandi, like OT for istance. 2018 and still not playable fx where you can adjust easily the lenght you need.

I think it's playable in the sense that you can crossfade easily between the numerous variations on an articulation, and also between the bow styles, and presumably also the dynamic layer. Maybe that's enough to classify it as playable -- like NI Thrill is "playable" for that reason -- compared to one-shot phrases which is what most other FX libraries offer.
I personally dislike NI Thrill (just heard demos and walkthrough) but I've got what you mean.
Afaik the only fx libraries there are really playable are OT ones : spheres and BST expansions.
It's true, the crossfades help a bit, but it would be better to have controls to set the lenght according to measures or beat (like the lenght control in NI Rise and Hit). The sampler should than choose the best sample according to beats and bpm and stretch it as needed.
That's what I expect from a modern fx library, not a bunch of recorded phrases. We don't need a sampler for that, just give us wavs in a folder

Really? Playable? Why, because you can press a button and listen to the sample? Is this playable for you?
Why doesn't it offer a sort of playable glissandi, like OT for istance. 2018 and still not playable fx where you can adjust easily the lenght you need.

Bohoo, waaah ...

Well looks like Paul is ignoring the questions asked about this particular statement. Promoting their FX strings while the original is still half-crippled and going out of your way to answer questions is just not a good thing to do IMO.
Hey sovreign, that doesn’t sound like an innocent statement to me. You’re confusing me with that picture :sneaky:

Personally, I am guessing that the the Synchron Strings 1 new content might very well have the same mic’s layout as FX Strings 1, not new legato recordings :)

On their Facebook page they wrote:" Glad you like it! Synchron Player is already included with Synchron FX Strings I. The sample content for all Synchron Strings I users is currently in preparation. It won't be long."

So yes the Synchron player is ready!

Top Bottom