VSL "Synchron FX Strings I" is coming soon.

heisenberg

The additional microphones in the Full Library are not only useful for surround but for stereo mixes as well. Think of them as additional options for your mix. Some of these extra mic positions from Full Library are included in the Standard but only as a down-mix via the Room Mix so no independant control.
Thanks for the clarification and important to know!

heisenberg

Is there anyone who is using the library with both the Synchron Player & VEPro on Windows? If so how well are things working?

FabioA

So, while working for a proper track using also FX Strings I that I should finish soon, here's a test I did for whom asked about what was possible with standard edition and how dry were close mics. So the track starts with a single Synchron Player istance, Spherical Textur/Suspense/regular patch; the preset is the Wide Decca Tree which include the internal algorithmic reverb on top.
The second part is the same patch, but this time you have 5 different istances with Close Mics soloed (no additional reverb). That shows not only close mics are pretty dry, but also that these mics contain basically only the section they're meant for. So you can listen to just Cellos at the very beginning, then basses and finally violins and violas; the track ends with Violin 1 close mics only. This way you can control dynamic and shape the sound differently for every group.
That opens a lot of possibilities; I would say that even if the concept of this library is to have High and Low Strings (and that make the library much more easy and fast to work with) you can actually work with individual sections as well.
100% out of the box. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

fiestared

Vintage -but- not obsolete
So, while working for a proper track using also FX Strings I, here's a test I did for whom asked about what was possible with standard edition and how dry were close mics. So the track starts with a single Synchron Player istance, Spherical Textur/Suspense/regular patch; the preset is the Wide Decca Tree which include the internal algorithmic reverb on top.
The second part is the same patch, but this time you have 5 different istances with Close Mics soloed (no additional reverb). That shows not only close mics are pretty dry, but also that these mics contain basically only the section they're meant for. So you can listen to just Cellos at the very beginning, then basses and finally violins and violas; the track ends with Violin 1 close mics only.
That opens a lot of possibilities; I would say that even if the concept of this library is to have High and Low Strings (and that make the library much more easy and fast to work with) you can actually work with individual section as well.
100% out of the box. Hope that helps.

Thanks FabioA...

heisenberg

So people should stop the glib and inaccurate comparison to EVO libraries. Thanks Fabio. Downloading the library now.

ka00

So people should stop the glib and inaccurate comparison to EVO libraries. Thanks Fabio.
Fabio played one patch (which sounds great) but it's not the only thing this library offers.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the tone of your post, but it seems a tad unnecessary to call this demo track out out as the justification for banishing comparisons to certain other libraries. I don't see the point of that.

People are attempting to wrap their heads around what this library sounds like, and it can be compared to many things, including rightly, in my opinion, some of the more extreme patches in the various EVOs that spitfire has put out.

heisenberg

Hope you mean you're downloading FX Strings I and not EVO :°)
Haha. No FX Strings. I already have all the EVOs.

To the other point, a couple of posts up. I can see the convenience of making comparisons to other libraries, especially in the beginning of a conversation on this topic or any topic. It is human nature but after a short amount of time it becomes abundantly clear that the two sets of libraries, are vastly different. FX Strings, may have been initially spurned on by the EVO series but the realization of it, in my mind, has way more in common with the musical vocabulary of the avant garde and other experimental twentieth century orchestral music than the stuff Spitfire did. Most importantly, it gives you a lot more tonal and performance control. The videos that VSL have done on FX Strings showcase how different a library it is. This brief one with Paul in it demonstrates this clearly.

It is unfortunate that VSL's initial teaser to this library was done up like a EVO fest which probably contributed to establishing the narrative that it is another EVO like library.

The 21 minute walkthrough video demonstrates again it is it's own library capable of quite a compositionally...