What's new

VSL "Synchron FX Strings I" is coming soon.

ka00

From the VLS website,
50 Microphones – 50 Musicians
We spared no effort recording Synchron FX Strings I, using dedicated close microphones for each player of the string orchestra. For easy handling, you have quick access to six stereo down-mixes of these individual close mic signals (Violins 1 & 2, Violas 1 & 2, Cellos, Double Basses). Due to the comprehensive selection of further stereo and room mic arrays you can create your individual string ensemble sound in stereo, 5.1 surround, or even 9.1 immersive audio format, using the player’s full-fledged mixer.
Thanks for this. I think I'll go lie down now. And I'll edit my previous posts so there's no mistake that it's 50 mics and not 15. Based on that write up, I'm guessing the microphones that don't appear on this diagram are all the close microphones for each player. In which case, that would mean there are all of those mics plus the ones in the diagram (i.e. more than 50)?

Last edited:

Critz

But hey, what about the library itself? I just watched the walkthrough video. This thing sounds truly impressive, and it's surprisingly playable and flexible for an FX library.
Really? Playable? Why, because you can press a button and listen to the sample? Is this playable for you?
Why doesn't it offer a sort of playable glissandi, like OT for istance. 2018 and still not playable fx where you can adjust easily the lenght you need.

ka00

Really? Playable? Why, because you can press a button and listen to the sample? Is this playable for you?
Why doesn't it offer a sort of playable glissandi, like OT for istance. 2018 and still not playable fx where you can adjust easily the lenght you need.
I think it's playable in the sense that you can crossfade easily between the numerous variations on an articulation, and also between the bow styles, and presumably also the dynamic layer. Maybe that's enough to classify it as playable -- like NI Thrill is "playable" for that reason -- compared to one-shot phrases which is what most other FX libraries offer.

Critz

I think it's playable in the sense that you can crossfade easily between the numerous variations on an articulation, and also between the bow styles, and presumably also the dynamic layer. Maybe that's enough to classify it as playable -- like NI Thrill is "playable" for that reason -- compared to one-shot phrases which is what most other FX libraries offer.
I personally dislike NI Thrill (just heard demos and walkthrough) but I've got what you mean.
Afaik the only fx libraries there are really playable are OT ones : spheres and BST expansions.
It's true, the crossfades help a bit, but it would be better to have controls to set the lenght according to measures or beat (like the lenght control in NI Rise and Hit). The sampler should than choose the best sample according to beats and bpm and stretch it as needed.
That's what I expect from a modern fx library, not a bunch of recorded phrases. We don't need a sampler for that, just give us wavs in a folder

ka00

That's what I expect from a modern fx library, not a bunch of recorded phrases. We don't need a sampler for that, just give us wavs in a folder
What you're saying does make sense for phrase-based libraries (re: just having a folder of wavs, even though keyboard mappings do offer some convenience, and having them in Kontakt or whatever other player gives you quick control over mic positions, tuning, attack, release and in some cases temp/stretching).

But maybe take another look at the Synchron FX Strings walkthrough, because what we have with this new library would be hard to deal with as wavs. Crossfading between tracks would be very manual labour-intensive in a DAW. That would be the opposite of playable.

I think Synchron FX Strings offers a different sound and different articulations than the BST expansions, and I personally think they are a nice addition to the current FX strings landscape.

Last edited:

Jimmy Hellfire

Bohoo, waaah ...

C-Wave

Well looks like Paul is ignoring the questions asked about this particular statement. Promoting their FX strings while the original is still half-crippled and going out of your way to answer questions is just not a good thing to do IMO.
Hey sovreign, that doesn’t sound like an innocent statement to me. You’re confusing me with that picture :sneaky:

C-Wave

Personally, I am guessing that the the Synchron Strings 1 new content might very well have the same mic’s layout as FX Strings 1, not new legato recordings :)

ka00

Well looks like Paul is ignoring the questions asked about this particular statement. Promoting their FX strings while the original is still half-crippled and going out of your way to answer questions is just not a good thing to do IMO.
Maybe he was done for the week and might reply on Monday. He did sign off that email saying have a great weekend.

Cartoon

On their Facebook page they wrote:" Glad you like it! Synchron Player is already included with Synchron FX Strings I. The sample content for all Synchron Strings I users is currently in preparation. It won't be long."

So yes the Synchron player is ready!

ka00

You'll probably have to wait till Monday.. but I don’t like the 17% discount.. not in a hurry. Probably will see a 25% discount later this year.
Might be better to wait, like you suggest. It’s available at JRR now for $294 US. No additional discount beyond the intro price. VSL has it a few dollars cheaper for $288 US.

But it’s still very tempting.

Last edited:

jamwerks

From the wording of the promotion, it sounds as if they did some "renovations" to the Synchron Studio before the FX recordings (and after the Strings I recordings?).

cadenzajon

Might be better to wait, like you suggest. It’s available at JRR now for $294 US. No additional discount beyond the intro price. VSL has it a few dollars cheaper for $288 US.
If you're looking for an extra discount to sweeten the deal and have your eye other VSL products as well (like the new CFX), I have a few spare $500 VSL vouchers from JRRShop that I'll make available at 25% off (the cost I got them for). PM me if interested.

ka00

If you're looking for an extra discount to sweeten the deal and have your eye other VSL products as well (like the new CFX), I have a few spare $500 VSL vouchers from JRRShop that I'll make available at 25% off (the cost I got them for). PM me if interested.
Thanks. That might be good to know for some other members who are on the market for other VSL products.

I’m very interested in these FX strings but I feel like 200 euro is probably the most I’d be willing to pay for it. And from what I think I know about VSL’s promos, I don’t think it’s ever going to drop to that price.

Top Bottom